PDA

View Full Version : Scared of Aspiration Pneumonia...

Njon704
26-03-16, 01:51
Was eating pizza when my kid did something that scared me and I think I inhaled a piece . I started coughing but now scared of getting aspiration pneumonia. I don't know how quickly the symptoms come and I heard it can kill someone silently. Now I'm scared to sleep ...... Anyone have had experience with this?

ServerError
26-03-16, 02:19
Aspiration pneumonia is a condition that, if you seriously believe you may be at risk of, you should seek medical attention.

However, it's also a condition that generally relies on a series of risk factors, from having an impaired gag reflex through another condition to being an excessive drinker. There are other factors that mean the average person generally doesn't need to worry about this condition.

It's a serious but treatable condition, so it's important to seek medical help if you do believe you're at risk of it. I can tell you that, as a 31 year old male with no obvious health issues, I wouldn't be worried in your situation. However, I know nothing about you, so please don't take my advice as gospel. I'm sure you're fine, though.

Njon704
26-03-16, 02:29
Aspiration pneumonia is a condition that, if you seriously believe you may be at risk of, you should seek medical attention.

However, it's also a condition that generally relies on a series of risk factors, from having an impaired gag reflex through another condition to being an excessive drinker. There are other factors that mean the average person generally doesn't need to worry about this condition.

It's a serious but treatable condition, so it's important to seek medical help if you do believe you're at risk of it. I can tell you that, as a 31 year old male with no obvious health issues, I wouldn't be worried in your situation. However, I know nothing about you, so please don't take my advice as gospel. I'm sure you're fine, though.

I'm 32 female in fair health ... no major health issues. I have a pulse and oximeter ... so I've been checking my blood oxygen level... I just don't know how long g I should be looking out for symptoms. Like of I don't get sick after a week, can I stop worrying? ...

ServerError
26-03-16, 02:48
I will never give definite answers as I'm not a doctor and this is the internet, so I can't directly answer your question.

I know a little bit about this condition because my grandma had it. She was 89, in the late stages of dementia, and she somehow survived it (it might have been kinder if she didn't). A doctor told me and my dad quite a lot about it. I am very sure you have nothing to worry about if you have a healthy chest, oesophagus and gag reflex. But I can't tell you for certain. Maybe somebody else can tell you more about it.

In the UK I'd tell you to ring our non-emergency health advice service (just for your own peace of mind), but as you're in the USA, is there anyone you can call to put your mind at rest?

Fishmanpa
26-03-16, 03:58
You choked on a piece of food. No biggie. Happens to everyone now and again. While I'm not one for running to the doctor for reassurance, if you are really hurting and having breathing issues, then do so but I'm pretty sure that won't be necessary as you're posting here.

Aspiration Pneumonia is typically a condition that affects people with swallowing issues (like Head and Neck Cancer folks...me). Because of the damage done by surgeries and radiation, it could happen when or if the swallowing muscles weaken to the point that food or liquid is inhaled at abnormal levels. While my eating is nearly normal after three years, I still have to do several swallowing exercises daily to keep the muscles working and strong.

Again, you choked on a piece of pizza. You don't have any other risk factors that would cause you to get this.

Positive thoughts

Njon704
26-03-16, 04:42
I will never give definite answers as I'm not a doctor and this is the internet, so I can't directly answer your question.

I know a little bit about this condition because my grandma had it. She was 89, in the late stages of dementia, and she somehow survived it (it might have been kinder if she didn't). A doctor told me and my dad quite a lot about it. I am very sure you have nothing to worry about if you have a healthy chest, oesophagus and gag reflex. But I can't tell you for certain. Maybe somebody else can tell you more about it.

In the UK I'd tell you to ring our non-emergency health advice service (just for your own peace of mind), but as you're in the USA, is there anyone you can call to put your mind at rest?

Do you know how long after her aspiration she developed pneumonia? That's basically the information I'm trying to seek since I can't seem to find an answer on google...

Fishmanpa
26-03-16, 06:43
Do you know how long after her aspiration she developed pneumonia? That's basically the information I'm trying to seek since I can't seem to find an answer on google...

You can't find an answer because there's nothing to worry about! An 89 year old woman who had medical issues and dementia got it and it wasn't because she choked on a piece of pizza. You're not even close! You can choose to believe me or not. You're still logged on, hours after the incident. What does that tell you? If you can't accept the reassurance, then go to the doctor. This will be an "I told you so" event. Continue to worry of you want, but if you're here posting hours afterwards with no symptoms, what does that tell you?

Positive thoughts and pizza (mushrooms and sausage please :) )

ServerError
26-03-16, 12:31

It's interesting that you've dismissed her circumstances and are instead focused entirely on the timescale of symptoms. I included the reference to my grandmother for two reasons: firstly, to demonstrate why I felt I could comment; and also because I wanted to show you what it can take to cause this issue.

There was never any evidence that my grandmother inhaled any food. But she was literally on her deathbed through dementia and could barely swallow.

I'm sure you're not at risk. Hope you've managed to find some peace in the last few hours.

pulisa
26-03-16, 12:36
My Father had compromised swallowing and a pharyngeal pouch. He didn't survive aspiration pneumonia. It strikes swiftly in those already compromised and leaves no time for contemplation of time spans etc