PDA

View Full Version : Did I make myself have anxiety?

Alexalex
26-03-16, 17:55
Its been nearly two years now since my first panic attack. I have been struggling with ibs for the past 5 months but I tried everything now and nothing really helps so Im just trying to deal with it and hope one day it will just go away like it did last year. Anyway, Ive been thinking about what might have caused my anxiety as Ive never been like this before. I'm scared to leave the house, take the bus, stay home alone - everything seems dangerous. I remember before I developed anxiety I used to do a weird thing but never really thought much of it. Every night before falling asleep, as some kind of weird way to relax and go to sleep I was imagining bad things happening to me. Its really weird, like id imagine having a car accident and being in coma and my family waiting for me to wake up. I wasn't making myself scared, somehow i found it relaxing. For some reason I enjoyed it. I dont do it anymore because Im too scared now, i get panic attacks and everything stresses me out. Do you think doing this in the past could make me develop anxiety?

ana
26-03-16, 18:54
Alex, I can completely relate to that you've said there. I had my first panic attack whist trying to experience what being dead would feel like. I was 13 at the time, and had had two of my family members diagnosed with cancer. On that day, I freaked myself out so much, I ended up experiencing severe panic and depersonalisation. For many years, a whole decade if not longer, I blamed myself for having made myself have anxiety. I couldn't help but think that if I'd not thought about death that day, I would never have had a panic attack in my life.

However, I now realise that a panic attack would have happened one way or another, and there is no point in feeling guilty as I don't think it's possible to give yourself anxiety. Instead of blaming yourself for your thoughts in the past, I would focus on trying to help yourself as best as you can at this moment in time. Severe anxiety can be difficult to function with on a daily basis, so perhaps consult your GP and try and lower your anxiety levels.

I hope you feel better :)

Lisssa
31-03-16, 18:11
There is a show the anxiety guru. Look it up. A website is availabke as well. Has an intense amount of information to explain so much. No, you didnt give yourself this disorder, but yes you can learn enough to manage it.

Catherine S
31-03-16, 18:59
Are you related to the Anxiety guru lisssa? Just a thought lol! :D

ISB

adeyt
31-03-16, 19:46
Do you really think it is possible to manage EXTREME anxiety without drugs. I ask because I am at a really scary place at the moment. Im having to use valium just to be able to cope at home. I have been suffering since Jan to this degree

Lisssa
31-03-16, 20:14
Are you related to the Anxiety guru lisssa? Just a thought lol! :D

ISB

No. But it does have a tremdous amount of helpful information on it. Have you seen it? Its not an add. Noone is selling anything. Its a ton of information with explanations. Why would you be offended by that? I see you have been on here for many years and im positive you are a lovely person and so helpful to all. Sometimes knowledge can come from other people as well. Im so sorry i was just trying to help. Maybe take a look at the website and you will see why i would even mention it. Take care and God bless.

Catherine S
31-03-16, 20:18
No disrespect intended nor offence taken. We do have humour here too :blush: