PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack in phases?

MayaH
26-03-16, 23:56
Just come to the end of a panic attack and wondered if anyone has experienced them like this before? It started with shaking which can be voluntary or involuntary but is one of my main anxious signs so I tried to stop it which worked - was hoping I could stop the entire attack - no such luck! I successfully stopped the shaking but then my mouth had gone dry, my breathing was messed up and I couldn't see clearly in front of me (really bad derealisation) and then that stopped and it continued with weakness and tingling in my hands as well as chest tightness and a feeling fo loss of control. Has anyone else had a panic attack in phases before? I remember most of it but not all of the attack, I was trying not to cry during it and now I just feel exhausted x

Catherine S
27-03-16, 00:19
Mine start with the breathing problem rather than the shaking...that comes in recovery when i'm coming down from it. But the breathing thing is what makes the panic intensify. If I can control that. ..I carry a menthol superstick most places and find breathing this up through my nose helps to give me the feeling that I can breathe more freely.

But if I'm in a situation that is really bad...a packed train for example, then I just need to get off at the next station. I'm now in a position, because I'm retired, that I can choose when to travel so the panics in those situations have become much less. But when I was still working I would get there in a right state some mornings.

ISB x

mnaha
27-03-16, 02:52
I have been getting a random panic attacks here and there almost every day lately. I get a electric warm feeling all over and then my stomach starts churning and heart beats faster. I try to start breathing slowly and it has been successful but hope it keeps on being successful . I hate panic attacks and lately I have had my share of them because I am a little stressed now because of upcoming move . I will be glad when its over and I can feel secure again.

Josh1234
27-03-16, 06:20
My panic attacks have taken a crazy turn in the last 2 months. Like almost unbelievable they are actually panic attacks and not life threatening issues. I have been like slipping into another dimension lately with how intense they get. Hot flashes across my body, extreme dizziness, serious, terrifying feelings of impending doom, and pins and needles throughout my body. Shaking and twitching as well.

ana
27-03-16, 10:01
I've had a panic attack like the one you're describing before, many times. Sometimes I won't even go into full panic mode, but remain shaking and/or feeling slight light-headedness and potentially depersonalisation too. If I make an effort to lower my anxiety levels as soon as I notice my symptoms getting progressively worse, I can avoid having a full-blown panic attack.

MetalYeti
31-03-16, 11:55
I almost always have my panic attacks in stages these days, they don't always follow the same pattern either which makes it more confusing and worrying. I'm experiencing this right now actually. I should have expected it really as yesterday I had one of those days where I had to deal with a load of stuff and I was like 'Hey I can't believe I coped with that so amazingly! What gives?!' I should know by now that this just means I'll pay for it later, my attacks have nearly always happened after the stressor has passed. So this morning I had vertigo, now the next stage seems to be struggling to breathe and the awful choking tight chest rubbish. Last time this happened it was lots of different stages spread over about a week, hopefully it won't be so long this time. I feel for you, it sucks.

Hol1992
31-03-16, 12:08
I'm so glad I joined this forum! I can relate so much I haven't had them in a while and on Monday I woke up with a slight chest pain and honestly thought I was having a heart attack I started shaking my mouth was so dry and I was so dizzy I coul t stand up I also had pins and needles everywhere but the next day I woke up with arm ache and tingling in my fingers and since then I've had on and off chest tightness and pins and needles in my fingers, Is it actually possible to have them in phases like this - I'm a very positive thinker and forgot how awful it feels to feel this way it's really bringing me down - has anyone else has this, I'm hoping it is nothing serious!
X

MetalYeti
31-03-16, 14:10
I'm so glad I joined this forum! I can relate so much I haven't had them in a while and on Monday I woke up with a slight chest pain and honestly thought I was having a heart attack I started shaking my mouth was so dry and I was so dizzy I coul t stand up I also had pins and needles everywhere but the next day I woke up with arm ache and tingling in my fingers and since then I've had on and off chest tightness and pins and needles in my fingers, Is it actually possible to have them in phases like this - I'm a very positive thinker and forgot how awful it feels to feel this way it's really bringing me down - has anyone else has this, I'm hoping it is nothing serious!
X

I have this quite regularly, the arm pain is often almost constant. It's awful and it does get you down terribly but all I can say is, I'm still here! It literally has taken living with it for so long to prove to me that I'm not suddenly going to drop dead! Obviously if you're worried get your doctor to hook you up to the ecg machine and get checked out. I had to do this several times and thankfully they never found anything wrong. It doesn't stop it being absolutely terrifying though!