PDA

View Full Version : Sinus question. . .

helenhoo
27-03-16, 18:10
I didn't get much response regarding this. It isn't reassurance or health anxiety I just want advice from someone who's had it! :)

I had bad sinus pressure weds, worried as we do, asked nurse said yes it's just a mild sinus infection/cold. Taken sinutab but I stupidly haven't taken it regularly as it has been working and I have been drinking so rather than mix I haven't taken them properly. Question sort of answers itself but is this why sinus thing is here still very very mildly. Mostly a mild throb and if I bend head over. Isn't anywhere near as strong as it was!

Anyone take these before or had this?

31andcounting
27-03-16, 18:35
Totally normal! Smart move to not take the med while you were having your cocktails. Restart the medication and drink lots of water. Many times the secretions in our sinus cavity are really thick and the extra water will help. You can also try a saline nasal spray-try to avoid the medicated ones because they are easy to get addicted to and very hard to get off of!! If your symptoms persist longer that 14 days or you develop a fever over 101, you need to get some antibiotics because it is probably beyond the viral stage and it is now bacterial. You can safely take 600 mg of Ibuprofen as well (read the directions on your medication, most of them contain acetaminophen), I would take the ibuprofen 4 hours after your sinus med. Good luck!!

KatiePink
27-03-16, 19:01
Hi,

I've been suffering from sinus issue's but my GP has said it is sinusitis. My 'main' symptoms lasted about 4 days when they were horrendous, but now i am just left with the sinus pressure.

I use an Olbas Oil decongestant which is great, also i get a pan/bowl hot water and inhale the steam for about ten minutes.
Using a warm compress on my sinuses also helped me.

P.S it's totally normal, sinus infections can stick around for a while x

Bakebeansrule
27-03-16, 19:09
I think this is what my 5 year old has. She's been complaining of a sore blocked nose for a few days and the dr has said its a virus. We've started to get some green snot today so I'm praying that means her immune system is fighting back. It certainly is not nice. I had a sinus infection last year and it lasted weeks but I didn't take anything for it so that's probably why

helenhoo
27-03-16, 20:49
I used olbas oil which helped the initial pressure. It was horrid pressure anytime I lowered head. It's thete but so much lighter. TMI but ive been bringing up mucus which has cAhmed down in its load over the days too. Sinutab is ace. I'm normally good with meds but it's bank hol weekend and I didn't want to mix.

To the person who had it, would your nose throb occasionally? Just walkong about? I'm home tomorrow so will get back on olbas oil steam bath.

I guess overall that symptoms getting better is a great sign

Thanks for replies xx

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

Yes my mucus is green, nasal mucus is normal.

Bakebeansrule
27-03-16, 22:17
When I had it the whole side of my face hurt, teeth, headache everywhere and bending down was really sore felt like my sinuses where gonna pop

helenhoo
27-03-16, 23:22
Yeah, like almost like someone's punched you there? I have a build of mucus atm, yum!

KatiePink
27-03-16, 23:31
I used olbas oil which helped the initial pressure. It was horrid pressure anytime I lowered head. It's thete but so much lighter. TMI but ive been bringing up mucus which has cAhmed down in its load over the days too. Sinutab is ace. I'm normally good with meds but it's bank hol weekend and I didn't want to mix.

To the person who had it, would your nose throb occasionally? Just walkong about? I'm home tomorrow so will get back on olbas oil steam bath.

I guess overall that symptoms getting better is a great sign

Thanks for replies xx

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

Yes my mucus is green, nasal mucus is normal.

Yeah i had a lot of pressure in my nose and in between eyes, kept feeling like i was going to have a nose bleed, and like you said bending down made it worse x

MyNameIsTerry
28-03-16, 04:49
I've seen people on here talk about "neti pots" with a saline solution that helped with mucus issues like post nasal drip. It might be worth a look.

Remember, vitamin C! I've just beaten my throat infection by upping that stuff, no meds, both my parents had antibiotics for it. It took longer though. So, that's 2 infections beaten with vitamin C for me rather than the antibiotic route - not that I'm saying you shouldn't see a GP and have such treatment, just presenting an alternative that is easy to try.

Definitely don't drink whilst on sinutab, the regular strength has a Major interaction warning against it for a start. It just won't be doing it's job if you are meant to take it consistently.