PDA

View Full Version : Newb fighting for 15 years . (Long Sorry)

nicknuts
28-03-16, 05:29
Im not sure how it started. I panicked one night on a flight when i was 17 going on a ski vacation. I just realized i was clearly not in control and I wanted to get home , NOW . After that i just did not like to fly but I still did annually, enjoying my trips , just not the flying part . Some flights later on I actually enjoyed , and certainly enjoyed them as a kid with my family, In fact I was very excited to go on a flight. Cut to 26 years old and my girlfriend at the time asked me to go on a trip across the US for her work. I really did not want to go , but I did. Back in those days i just did not like the flying part, but once I was on the ground I was fine ,no anxiety. When I got back from that trip , the Anxiety started , BAD, I was terrified at night especially, I asked my parents why is this happening to me ? I soon became very uncomfortable going most places , my safe zone was very small , driving far ,going on a vacation was out of the question when I tried , I failed ,and had to come back home. That messed me up for years, Not really trying to push the limits . Eventually , I met someone else, (My Wife) and I started pushing the limits of my safe zone, Her parents lived 50 miles away , and at the time that was out of the zone. I pushed and pushed my limits often, sometimes failing and feeling completely depressed.

One story was my Best friend was having a bachelor party and i said I would go to Las Vegas , I had been dozens of times in the past and love the town but during this troubled time it seemed like a death sentence. Flying to Vegas at night in the rain to stay in a hotel. Hell no, My friend waited for me outside my house to take me to the airport , I did not come out of my house. He went with a few friends without me. Failure.

Anyway, I pushed and fought during many trips after that, many many flights all of them hard but with the help of several techniques breathing, and others and some occasional meds I have pushed through many many times. I have had a few setbacks including this weekend which is why I write tonight. I sometimes think I am past this problem but it will not go away. That has been the biggest disappointment for my now wife , my family and of course me. My biggest problem is the anxiety before a trip that is the real issue for me. I think about every aspect of a trip before i go on one and it always goes to the "darkside". I can't get myself out of it. I try and try. My wife , who I most travel with will see a real negative , moody , and depressed person before a trip especially right before a trip. She does not know how to handle me and it is hard to talk to her about it. Should she be understanding or should she be a stern and cold so i just do it? Man I feel for her how she has to deal with me during those times. I am not fun to be around. I try and try to push it out of my head but it does not matter what I do I just start thinking of the trip and i go to fear. Even If I have been to a place several times . That to me is so irrational. I know it but my mind won't stop. The ironic thing about it is , I have gone on many trips and they have all been great , to really great , and that's what is so frustrating , thats why I keep trying, but the pre-travel time is usually awful and sometimes i just give up and don't go , usually on the day I am suppose to leave. I do that a lot.
Sorry for the long rant , I am just having a hard time tonight because of another trip which I have done once a year for the last 8 years i am not going this week because my mind got the best of me due to feeling uncomfortable.
I will say for people who are struggling with a safe area around there house I dealt with that a long time ago and it has almost vanished , you have to keep pushing the boundaries . Thanks for letting me rant.

dally
28-03-16, 08:15
Hi
I could've written this post too.
Except I gave in to the fear of flying and have never flown.
My biggest regret.

The pre travel anxiety is horrendous. The what ifs and catastrophising is exhausting and a total, irrational, waste of energy.

I wasted YEARS doing this. And the only thing that helped me, was graded exposure to reclaim my travel boundaries. My advice to anyone too, is NEVER shorten your boundaries, keep fighting. X