PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with panic attacks while traveling

Mayret91
28-03-16, 18:04
Ok so my bf & I have planned a trip a month from now to Jamaica. I'm excited because I am dying to go but on the other hand I'm terrified. I'm scared that right before I board the plane I'll have to turn back because of my panic attacks. Or what if I'm inside the plane and can't leave. Or what if I get a panic attack at Jamaica. How will I cope? I have been prescribed with xanax which I keep close to me just in case but I try to avoid taking it at all costs since I do not like taking pills and it makes me dizzy and depressed the next day. I have a feeling of I take this trip I will have to be on xanax the whole time & that's no way to go on vacation. Have any of you had any luck overcoming this or anything that helps out while traveling? I feel like a failure everything I start chickening out & I really wish I could make it happen.
Anything helps! Thank you in advance.

GingerFish
28-03-16, 20:46
I was the exact same before I went to Iceland and Ireland on holiday a few years ago. I lost count of how many times I nearly cancelled the trips and felt more dread than excitement over going just in case I took a panic attack while away. The thing that helped me mostly was reading Dr Claire Weekes books about a month before I left. I read them every night for my overall panics but they were really good for helping me with my holiday jitters as she teaches you that your relief from panic is not in a pill or a safe place - your relief from panic is always with you no matter where you are because you yourself are your relief. I also listened to her audio tape on my phone on the plane.

Other tips I have are avoid all booze before flying. I know it might make you feel a little more confident but booze and caffeine can make your anxiety so much worse after a while. Its best to remain as clear headed as possible.

Up to a week before you go, try to relax as much as possible. Get all your packing done in advance so that is one less thing to worry about and if you have the time, devote an hour or so each day to destress in whatever way works for you - a bath, a long walk, listening to music etc. Minimizing even just a small part of anxiety will help. Also try your best to eat and sleep well before your trip. So many of my panic attacks could have been avoided if I ate or slept better.

eternally optimistic
28-03-16, 21:25
Hi

All the advice by GingerFish is superb.

I agree totally with getting as much relaxation and getting all the necessary things done prior to your trip in a sensible time scale, so you aren't putting yourself under extra pressure. Ive got this all wrong in the past and have worked hard to try and organise myself to relieve the intense worry. Its not that I am lazy !! I go into denial about whats needs doing and by ignoring it, sub consciously I think these things will go away!!!

I have too cancelled trips, leaving my partner, just the once, to travel overseas with my kids, without me!!!

Ive just returned from a short haul holiday, aided with diazepam to fly, that's my issue and, it was all a success.

I too worried about attacks whilst there etc etc etc and, having some medication to hand, although not used, made all the difference.

I am today celebrating that I DID IT and hope to do again soon.

Don't beat yourself up about having to take meds, there isn't anything wrong with that.

Mayret91
30-03-16, 03:05
Thank you both so much! At times i'm super excited & other times i'm super scared. I actually went to the Dr today for my Xanax & she said to take one .25mg 1 hour before the flight & if I felt an attack coming on while on board to take another one. She also said I can take a Xanax every 12 hours up to 2 at a time. We'll see how that goes...