PDA

View Full Version : 14, And Terrified of Exercise.

Dan D
05-03-07, 17:32
I used to be in to my exercise, as any 14 year old, but a while i stopped due to being scared of a heart attack... i know, but that's what health anxiety does.

Well, i tried again today; 10 minutes of running and 2x reps of 15 bicep curls using about 9lb weight, which is nothing compared to what i used to do. At the time i was fine so at the end of the 10 minutes i did 15 measly seconds of sprinting.

I finished and walked back up my garden and in to my room where i suddenly felt my heart beating. Not like palpitations where you feel like it misses a beat but a regular, lubdub-lubdub on my chest. It was like someone had a mini-hammer and was playing the drums on my chest.

It didn't hurt, but naturally it made me feel extremely uncomfortable. I was so worried, and i can still feel it a bit now... is this normal? Do others feel it? Is it something serious?

russ
05-03-07, 20:27
Dan, you were clearly anxious about the exercise and perhaps this played a factor in what you felt.

Remember, IT IS GOOD to get your heart pumping, this is why exercise is recommended. I know you have probably got into a way of thinking you don't want to put stress on your heart because of your fear, but this is counter productive in the long term.

Those who don't exercise are more likely to have heart issues later in life.

Of course, we shouldn't exercise beyond our limits, however, if your heart rhythm was fine, then of course exercise will cause your pulse to race and heart to pump!

I do wonder why you stopped exercise because of your fear? That sounds like the real issue here.

Dan D
05-03-07, 20:38
I stopped because i was scared that overworking my heart and lungs would damage them. I didn't stop it because it hurt or anything, if that's what you were thinking. It was just my health anxiety at it's peak; i don't know, i did P.E at school fine.

QueenVictoria
05-03-07, 20:38
yea, you excersized and made your heart have to work harder so it beated harder... but i highly doubt you'd get a heart attack at that age

try taking bayer instead of your normal ibuprophen
its made as a pain killer AND it helps reduce the chance of heart attack
it saves peoples lives, people say

russ
05-03-07, 20:50
I stopped because i was scared that overworking my heart and lungs would damage them. I didn't stop it because it hurt or anything, if that's what you were thinking. It was just my health anxiety at it's peak; i don't know, i did P.E at school fine.

Certainly you shouldn't push your body beyond it's safe limits, and if you are really concerned on your exercise, consult someone about it, perhaps a sports scientist, GP or Nurse.

However, even those people who have had heart attack are told to exercise, exercise is a key factor to staying healthy, but you don't need to do weights and push youself for the health benefits at all.

At your age you are very unlikely to have ANY health issues, don't let this fear grip you now.

russ
05-03-07, 20:55
yea, you excersized and made your heart have to work harder so it beated harder... but i highly doubt you'd get a heart attack at that age

try taking bayer instead of your normal ibuprophen
its made as a pain killer AND it helps reduce the chance of heart attack
it saves peoples lives, people say

As far as I'm aware Bayer is asprin under a trade name.

Yes this can have some positive effects for people who are told to take it, it naturally thins the blood, however, you SHOULD NOT take this on a continual basis without advice of a doctor.

Many analgesic anti-inflammatory drug's after long term use can damage the stomach and even cause internal bleeding.

Anyone who doesn't have major health issues should not take any such drug to prevent a certain health issue, because any doctor will tell you most drugs are a trade-off of side effects. You may actually be thinking you are preventing a remote issue from happening, such as a heart attack, while making it much more likely you will suffer another health problem, such as internal bleeding, a peptic ulcer, etc.

My view is if a drug is needed, fine, but really you shouldn't self-medicate unless essential. I even take the same view on vitamens, etc.

Dan D
05-03-07, 20:56
It's hard to let go of the thoughts. And i know it's unlikely for me to have anything... but i COULD do. Fear of the unknown is the scariest type of fear.

Well... i'll try, again. I had PE today and i was fine, and it was hockey... i hate hockey!

russ
06-03-07, 07:59
It's hard to let go of the thoughts. And i know it's unlikely for me to have anything... but i COULD do. Fear of the unknown is the scariest type of fear.

Well... i'll try, again. I had PE today and i was fine, and it was hockey... i hate hockey!

Dan, you can never take the risk out of life, it is that very risk which makes life.

What you can say is the balance of probability makes it much more likely something positive will happen to you than something negative.

boy
07-03-07, 01:27
I always feel that strong, even pounding in my chest after exercise. I could run a short distance for say a minute and that would be the sensation I'd get afterwards. Always has been as long as I can remember.

Did you see the programme in which 2 of the members on here featured? This was precisely one of their fears.