PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and dentistry

fishman65
28-03-16, 20:00
I have an appointment with a dentist two weeks from today and I'm unusually anxious about it. It feels embarrassing to be typing this when there are other threads dealing with far more traumatic events such as childbirth.

Even so, I'm trying to work out what it is i'm anxious about. I don't think its pain because local anaesthetics are extremely effective these days. Perhaps its the bad experience in 2002 when a dentist began pulling on a wisdom tooth immediately after the injection without allowing time for the anaesthetic to take effect. Or maybe its more the feeling trapped in the chair knowing quite well I can't just get up and leave if I feel panicky. I have some risperidone left over from three years ago that I can use on the day and certainly will if I feel the need, though of course I would rather not :unsure:

Chocolateface
28-03-16, 20:54
Hi
I have anxiety over the dentist too, mine is from bad experiences as a child, and braces not working so I have wonky crooked teeth as an adult. My anxiety is if I have to have a tooth out, I had four out (first back ones top and botton both sides) when I had braces then had another tooth out about 6years ago.
Not sure if that helps you but you are not alone feeling like this

Clare

Elen
28-03-16, 20:58
Advise the dentist in advance, they seem to be really well trained at dealing with anxious patients these days.

I am ok now but when I was worried I used to find listening to music through headphones really useful.

Also practice some breathing techniques before you go. I like the one on the headspace app.

You have faced so much that I am sure that I am not alone in thinking that you will nail it.

Carnation
29-03-16, 00:34
I went through this in January.

For one thing, Dentists have come along way since my previous visit of ten years ago.
You hardly feel a thing and much more care is taken now.

I told my Dentist; who in fact was a brand new one, so he was a total stranger to me, that I suffered with anxiety and panic attacks. (They DO take that in to consideration).
I had a molar extraction and I did not feel a thing.

But, you have to remember that everyone feels nervous at the dentist, the waiting room was packed full of scared people. That's not anxiety, that's normal for anyone.

Don't worry, you will be fine. :hugs:

pulisa
29-03-16, 08:40
Even the so-called bravest people can be scared of the dentist but things have moved on as everyone says and dental procedures are a lot more gentle now and pain-free. Dentists are very used to nervous patients and I'm sure yours will quickly put you at your ease. Good luck-the sooner the appointment comes, the better!The waiting is the worst bit!

fishman65
29-03-16, 15:24
Thank you to all for your lovely supportive replies :hugs:

Apart from a spontaneous emergency appt 10 days ago, the last time I was in the dreaded chair was 2002. I do need work done, two molars in my upper jaw are stumps now as the fillings fell out long ago. That dentist back in 2002 was very unprofessional. As I was an NHS patient he clearly wanted to make the appt last so he wasted 30 mins talking about the evolution of teeth before giving me the anaesthetic and pulling on the wisdom tooth immediately after.

Perhaps the display on the waiting room wall should have been a warning. It showed all the locations in the UK where he had practiced. It read like a travelling circus, one was even Inverness so clearly he kept moving on for some reason :lac:

And yes pulisa its the waiting!!

pulisa
29-03-16, 17:03
Wouldn't it be great if you could fast forward time?

Best of luck, Fishman. Sociopath dentists are a thing of the past

fishman65
10-04-16, 14:52
D-Day tomorrow :unsure:

23fish
10-04-16, 15:18
You will probably be pleasantly surprised with how things have changed. I was with the same dentist for 30 years, and only changed to a new one because he retired. I couldn't believe the difference. I thought my original dentist was great, but I have to confess I prefer the new one. He is so much more up to date with procedures and equipment, and he explains everything as he does it, which really helps. I've also found that over the last few years the injections are less uncomfortable and wear off so much more quickly. The last one I had was amazing as despite being numb I could still talk (without dribbling!).
Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how you get on x

Chocolateface
11-04-16, 19:13
Hope it went ok today

fishman65
11-04-16, 21:42
Thank you for your concerns guys. The anxiety wasn't as bad as it suggested it would be. Isn't that always the way? All this time and energy we waste on this condition anxiety, it was almost like the chair, that light, drills and needles were all incidental.

I just had X-rays and an assessment. One tooth that may have to come out has a thickening around the root so she is going to consult her associates at the practice as to whether it can be done on their premises. Is the alternative hospital? I have to go back on 21st April for fillings and that's when the anxiety threatened to kick on, knowing this will be ongoing. But then it would be? They can't do all the work in one sitting.

The dentist was good at her job clinically though her 'bedside manner' was abrupt and businesslike. Still I can't complain, I survived :)

23fish
11-04-16, 22:18
Good to hear it went OK. I find x-rays the worst, so if you can get through those the rest should be a breeze! What a shame your dentist wasn't a bit more friendly. At least you'll know what to expect next time x

Carnation
12-04-16, 00:01
:yesyes: Always the anticipation fishman65 :unsure:

pulisa
12-04-16, 08:39
You did really well-I can't bear having x-rays done!

fishman65
12-04-16, 19:26
Many thanks guys. Its strange that X-rays don't really bother me, unless its when that bit of card or whatever digs into the gum? :huh:

pulisa
12-04-16, 19:45
That card for me equals gagging!:D