PDA

View Full Version : Home alone and panicking

Ryan994
29-03-16, 12:48
I am a 21 year old student who lives at home and my family have left to go on holiday for a week; I am staying at home to do my dissertation.
I've never been the type of person who is independent and I couldn't even go to sleepovers as a kid. I didn't show any signs of negativity when in front of my family because I don't want them to worry and to enjoy their holiday, but I've been panicking so much being sick and crying the night before they left and after they left this morning, I have no appetite for food and it's making me even more sick.
I'm not very social and very reserved so I'm reluctant to ask for help and this is the first time I'm seeking help

Any encouragements and help would be greatly appreciated.

Hol1992
29-03-16, 15:21
when did they go away? all i can say is that you will feel better as the week goes on and wonder why you worried so much - its just because its out of the norm thats why your so anxious and your not used to being on your own - for now id say plug your earphones in play some up beat music and do the dissertation, the week will fly by and the next time you are staying at home alone you will know its not as bad as you think its going to be so wont work yourself up like this time

sorry if its not much help but you will be fine :)

Ryan994
29-03-16, 16:38
Thank you, your reply means so much to me. This is the first time I've reached out to someone and it makes me feel better knowing that someone is willing to help. I feel as though this panic is similar to the feeling when a child loses their parents in a shopping mall and falls into a state of panic.

I really appreciate your reply and it really makes me feel a lot better. I will take your advice to just focus on doing my dissertation and hopefully time will just fly by :)

MrsCav
29-03-16, 16:50
Ryan, in a weeks time you will want your parents to go away more often. Treat this as being back at school, you are going to learn to be on your own. And do you know what, you will quite like being on your own and enjoy your own company. You've got the full run of the house, you can eat what you want, watch what you want, wash up when you want ...... wear the same undies all week!!

I think youre more responsible than you think you are, you have let your parents go on holiday without giving them this added worry.... but being a parent myself, I would bet your folks are aware and might call frequently.

As Hol says, stick your music on and get that dissertation done!! And make yourself something to eat later, not rubbish from a take away! .... Yikes, I could be turning into your online mother :hugs::D

Ryan994
29-03-16, 17:02
Thank you so much :) This is the first time I have ever reached out and I didn't know what to expect, but it warms my heart so much after reading the responses despite the fact that my problem is very small compared to the many things that are happening in this world. :)

MrsCav
29-03-16, 17:12
Don't dismiss how you feel, it was brilliant that you opened up to us. A bunch of strangers on the internet ... anytime you're feeling anxious there is always going to be someone around on here, there are lots of other threads or games to play ... but you better get your dissertation done too or you will be in big trouble! That's my mum voice again.

CG1964
30-03-16, 00:20
You have made a great start by reaching out to people. We are all hear to listen and encourage you. I find just knowing that there is this community with support and advice to be invaluable.
you can write whatever you want, ask whatever you want, there is someone to listen and respond.

Take some deep breaths and relax your muscles. You will make it through this and be stronger for it.