PDA

View Full Version : Post nasal drip

GreatGateway
30-03-16, 14:15
There's constant mucus in my throat without end! It makes it very hard to swallow and breath, and only goes away when I hunch over and open my throat. When its at its worst my nose slightly clogs too, vision goes, heart races I have turned blue from low oxygen - very scary! Docs cant catch it because they sit me in the hunched position to check me over-!

Can anxiety be the cause of this? We've ruled out reflux, major allergies and sinus issues.

Annoyed
30-03-16, 14:28
If you are sure that its caused by mucus, I doubt anxiety could cause it. I also would be pretty confident that nothing bad would be causing it.

If you are not sure its mucus, then it could be anxiety. I have trouble swallowing and my throat feels clogged when I'm tense from anxiety.

I had post nasal drip for over a year. Allergies, sinus issues, and reflux were also ruled out. It resolved by itself 3 months ago. A doctor and an oncologist (I was seeing an oncologist due to a certain cancer anxiety) said if its gone, then it was nothing worth worrying about.

GreatGateway
30-03-16, 14:53
If you are sure that its caused by mucus, I doubt anxiety could cause it. I also would be pretty confident that nothing bad would be causing it.

If you are not sure its mucus, then it could be anxiety. I have trouble swallowing and my throat feels clogged when I'm tense from anxiety.

I had post nasal drip for over a year. Allergies, sinus issues, and reflux were also ruled out. It resolved by itself 3 months ago. A doctor and an oncologist (I was seeing an oncologist due to a certain cancer anxiety) said if its gone, then it was nothing worth worrying about.

It gives me a bit of hope that it may be resolvable, at least I hope so. Did it affect your breathing too? Tha'ts my most distressing problem.

Annoyed
30-03-16, 15:02
I mean... its mucus in the throat. So it wasn't enjoyable to breathe. I had a little bit of a wheeze or whistle most days. Yours sounds worse, but it could be a combination of anxiety and mucus.

Lifelonganxiety!
30-03-16, 18:17
If you are truly turning blue from low oxygen then you need to be properly evaluated. Have you been medically diagnosed as having low oxygen or are you just convincing yourself that you are turning blue by looking in the mirror? It's easy to see what you want to see when scanning for symptoms...

Go get evaluated again and if the symptoms don't appear when you are hunched over, then tell that to the doctor and ask that they evaluate you lying down or a position where the symptoms do appear.

GreatGateway
31-03-16, 11:27
If you are truly turning blue from low oxygen then you need to be properly evaluated. Have you been medically diagnosed as having low oxygen or are you just convincing yourself that you are turning blue by looking in the mirror? It's easy to see what you want to see when scanning for symptoms...

Go get evaluated again and if the symptoms don't appear when you are hunched over, then tell that to the doctor and ask that they evaluate you lying down or a position where the symptoms do appear.

The room I sleep in doesn't have a a mirror so i can see with my own eyes my fingertips/nails and toes turning pale, then blue sometimes but only at my worst. Since the docs have never caught it in the act, I keep getting dismissed. Keeping my shoulders and back hunched is my only relief, but I have to sit like that in A&E to get through the hours of waiting, else I'd likely not make it in! :p