PDA

View Full Version : Cut finger on can, fears

anxiousbelle
30-03-16, 21:14
So my health anxiety has been going wild lately. Anyway, today I was opening a tin of tuna for lunch and sliced just under my nail, like a paper cut but deeper, and the two edges are firmly apart. It didn't hurt, but first thing I thought was shit, infection.

I ran it under cold water for ages about 5 minutes, and then kept adding pressure with kitchen towels, but it didn't stop bleeding for about an hour. I found a first aid kit in the house, and wiped around the area with a non-alcohol hygienic cleansing wipe, and then added some savlon (antiseptic cream) onto the wound. This happened about 8 hours ago now. The bleeding has stopped but I can see inside it and its very glisteny, and the area around it is relatively warm, and a little bit raised and purple. I am very worried about it getting infected. I had a plaster on it for about 3 hours, but took it off as my mum said its best to let it air.

However, I just had a bout of intense diarrhea (sorry for the tmi), and then got paranoid that it was that after reading about a women dying from cutting her finger on a can, from a flesh eating bacteria. Google is bad for HA.

But anyway, I am just so concerned about it becoming infected I do not really know what to do.

Buster70
30-03-16, 23:32
Mums right get some air to it and dry it out bit of anti septic cream wouldn't go a miss , I've had tons of cuts from allsorts at work that are dirty , if it goes red and shinney that's when it's got puss in it then maybe nip to docs and get it cleaned up , you'll be fine , I always wash small cuts with salt water for a few days , take care