PDA

View Full Version : What's can be the background of health anxiety?

Farkas
31-03-16, 10:23
Hello all,

I'm suffering from this phenomenon for almost 20 years now - I feel that a really really long time. I've had very tough times as well as symptom-free (that means worry-free) periods.

But it still keeps coming back. I consider my life to meet my standards, so I can't find the root of this recurring mental state.

I've been mostly dealing with cancer phobia (many types of cancer), and with AIDS-phobia for a short period (this was cleared by a negative test result). I don't avoid doctors usually, and mostly a negative result eliminates my worries. Until the 'next chapter' anyway.

Catchable diseases such as H1N1 and other severe illnesses (ALS for example) have not caught my attention.

Why am I posting here? I'd really like to find the origin of my health anxiety, to know why I'm dealing with it, and of course to find some coping strategies. But mostly to get a grip on where my feeling of guilt is coming from.

Because I'm feeling guilty, and I'm treating illness as a punishment for my deeds. Only I'm not sure what I've done to deserve them. When I'm happy, enjoying life, there's always a lingering thought that I do not deserve it, so going to be punished and will pay the price. 'Something really nasty is going to happen soon'.

I'm a 32 years old male.

venusbluejeans
31-03-16, 10:28
Hiya Farkas and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Farkas
31-03-16, 11:05
Thank you for your kind welcoming words. I've read the H&A article, found it excellent. It also tries to sum up why this type of anxiety develops then remains.

The media are full of terrifiying stories. It's true. Rumours are also full of them.

My question and interest is why some people are so capable for H&A while others seemingly just don't care. I think it takes two in this case as well. I have a vague background for worrying, and almost all of my worries manifest around my (and my close relatives') health in a so exaggerated way.

KatiePink
31-03-16, 12:02
For me personally it is down the the fear of death, even if i am not thinking 'I'm going to die' my subconscious has a fear of death which makes me anxious about my health, worrying about having cancer or some other terminal illness.
Where this fear of death comes from, i don't know, some say all fears are linked to the fear of death fear of the unknown, not 'being here' anymore.

"My question and interest is why some people are so capable for H&A while others seemingly just don't care."

Good question. I don't know, but i do notice that mostly they have strikingly different personalities to myself

Farkas
05-04-16, 10:17
some say all fears are linked to the fear of death fear of the unknown, not 'being here' anymore

True, but why am I concentrating on some specific illnesses? There are many ways to die, including accidents, infectious diseases, heart problems etc. I'm not worried at all about the rest of these.

Fear of death (or the unknown) seems to be the catalizator, but more explanation is needed for me in my case.

That's why I'm here, because I'm hoping to find it. :)

pianoplayer
05-04-16, 16:25
I have health anxiety. I think the catalyst to mine being witnessing the death of a 14 year old girl at school many years ago who had a congenital heart problem. Also my mother suffered from heart problems. I constantly worry about dying yet my GP has reassured me that my heart is fine. I'm currently coming off Diazepam which has made things a lot more difficult. Any advice on relaxation techniques guys ?