PDA

View Full Version : Lymph nodes?

jc27x
31-03-16, 17:16
So this morning I woke up feeling fine for the first time in weeks and then i found a sore on the back of my ear and started poking about until it was really sore and realised it needed bursting and a lot of goo came out. sorry for tmi. then after feeling about a bit i noticed a lymph node was a little bit swollen, about 2cm below my ear. now im sat here with sore sides, sore tummy, shaking, lump in my throat, the usual anx symptoms. but does anyone have any idea why this has made my lymph node swollen? ive been so paranoid recently about cancer and this has just been the cherry on the cake. any advice would be appreciated

Fishmanpa
31-03-16, 17:24
Ok... first breathe :)

You had an infected pimple or ingrown hair right near where you felt the node right? What do nodes do? They're the body's sewer system and the reaction is due to the crap that was in that infected pimple.... nothing more.

Positive thoughts

jc27x
31-03-16, 17:30
Ok... I'm breathing a bit better now :blush:
Thank you for replying.
I don't really know enough to be jumping to conclusions but its just so easy to do!
I've been feeling about for weeks and never felt a thing and then the one day I'm not actually feeling for them I find one!!
Do they usually take long to go down?
Jodie x

Fishmanpa
31-03-16, 17:32
Do they usually take long to go down?

Depends on how much you'll be poking and prodding it ;) But normally (without the poking and prodding) it can take up to a couple of weeks to resolve.

Positive thoughts

jc27x
31-03-16, 17:37
Well I'm actually rather proud of myself cause I'm not really poking at it anymore more just slightly touching to check its not gone the size of an apple...(my fabulous rational thinking)

Thank you again for replying. Just a few simple words can have a big impact xx

jc27x
03-04-16, 12:55
I'm not sure if its going down in size but it seems to be getting further back away from the skin, does this sound normal?? x

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 ----------

Anyone? xxx

Annoyed
03-04-16, 14:30
I'm not sure if its going down in size but it seems to be getting further back away from the skin, does this sound normal?? x

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 ----------

Anyone? xxx

You're asking us if a lymph node that is getting smaller is normal?

Yes.

If its "getting further back away from the skin" then the diameter is decreasing.

jc27x
03-04-16, 14:49
It still feels the same size once I find it, it's just slightly harder to find.
I don't know much about lymph nodes just that they CAN indicate something sinister.
I'm just overly anxious and was looking for a little bit of reassurance.
It does feel different and not because its bigger but I just wanted to be sure it couldnt move because like I said I don't know a lot about them x

Annoyed
03-04-16, 15:05
Sounds like you know the reason why it swelled. I know its hard to believe. I had a flu jab and one in my neck swelled. So I'm in the same boat.

I thought my node was for sure sinister, despite having no evidence. My doctors touched it and instantly dismissed it. My GP said to not worry unless its visible. An Urgent Care doctor said that sinister nodes swell fast, don't go down, and come with multiple nodes at once.

If you go to the doctor, they'll tell you that its from the pimple or ingrown hair or whatever. Don't poke it and it'll go away. If you poke it it might never.

All of my doctors have palpable lymph nodes long after illnesses. So it might stay there forever. Means nothing. Super common.

jc27x
03-04-16, 15:43
I keep telling myself all this but believing it for longer than an hour is hard work.
I have spoke to my Dr and he dismissed it without even seeing it & I'm sure he knows better than me.
I haven't really poked at it much because I'm scared to make it angry haha I just feel it lightly to make sure it hasnt grown.
My neck is killing and I'm pretty sure its from holding my neck/head as still as possible in fear of making it bigger some how! x

Annoyed
03-04-16, 19:07
I keep telling myself all this but believing it for longer than an hour is hard work.
I have spoke to my Dr and he dismissed it without even seeing it & I'm sure he knows better than me.
I haven't really poked at it much because I'm scared to make it angry haha I just feel it lightly to make sure it hasnt grown.
My neck is killing and I'm pretty sure its from holding my neck/head as still as possible in fear of making it bigger some how! x

My doctor threatened me if I came to his office about the node. :yesyes:

Something about, "I don't want to see you. You have had more blood tests than any of my patients in the last year."

Obviously he was being funny. Puts it in perspective though.

The Urgent Care doctor didn't even need to feel it. He came in laughing. Said I had anxiety about something far too common. Said it was due to the flu jab and is still there because I was poking it. He ended up touching it and called it dinky. Feel the rest of my nodes. Found nothing.

jc27x
03-04-16, 19:33
My Dr is like that, I have 2 I see regularly and they have both dismissed my fears and I do trust them but this little thought at the back of my mind is always there and its stronger than i am at the min.

This does seem pretty small to be honest, its smaller than the tip of my little finger id say.
I don't know how big is big but I do know that its never been there before!

I sometimes wish I'd trained as a Dr...how much easier would that be haha!

Annoyed
03-04-16, 20:08
My Dr is like that, I have 2 I see regularly and they have both dismissed my fears and I do trust them but this little thought at the back of my mind is always there and its stronger than i am at the min.

This does seem pretty small to be honest, its smaller than the tip of my little finger id say.
I don't know how big is big but I do know that its never been there before!

I sometimes wish I'd trained as a Dr...how much easier would that be haha!

Mines about the same. It might be entirely gone though. I was rubbing my neck like the doctors do and I didn't feel it.

And sometimes people with anxiety don't trust their doctors and their that they are "dismissing" their fears. I don't think this is the cause. Sometimes I think HA sufferers are saying something so outlandish that the doctor doesn't need to check.

If I brought my car to the mechanic and said it needed blinker fluid... I don't think they would look to see if I was right.

Also some nodes are just that size. Under the jaw there are nodes. Mine are about a centimeter. Doctor said that if they aren't moving the skin, they aren't anything to be concerned with.

jc27x
03-04-16, 21:09
You're so right, thanks for your replies they have eased my mind.
I wish the rational part of me would just take over again but it doesnt seem to be happening right now.
I have another apt on the 12th but hopefully by then I should be feeling a bit better, it just seems to have lasted for ever this time.

Mine isnt visable unless i strain my neck and pull the skin a bit so hopefully thats a good sign haha xx

Annoyed
03-04-16, 21:47
My doctor was so sure that he didn't want me to come in. Not even for a follow up. That's how much he hates seeing me.

The truth is nodes are under your skin. Some are hidden between muscles. Some are really close to the skin. If you dig you'll find them. My doctor says they are firmish. Like the muscle between your thumb and index finger.

Sometimes you can find one on one side but not the other. We aren't symmetrical. Doctors palpate with an open hand and three fingers. If digging were the way to find swollen nodes, they'd do that. But they are interested in ones swollen enough to feel like that.