PDA

View Full Version : That morning feeling

Suziewuzie
01-04-16, 14:36
I know from a lot of the posts in here that we all seem to get that god-awful feeling in the morning. Mine generally subsides throughout the day but gets worse if I succumb and stay in bed.
I'm just wondering is it because of the citalopram, or is it because of the anxiety? It's been so long I can't remember when it started for me but I don't remember having it when I was on sertraline in the past.

Beckybecks
01-04-16, 15:15
It's always been worse for me in the morning. Whether it's anxiety or depression or any of the usual symptoms. Evenings are good as mostly, everything disappears and I feel wonderful - like I can take on the world.........until the next morning!
And it's not the medication, I'm not on anything, but other fellow sufferers have told me it's the same for them.

Jaysmd
01-04-16, 15:26
Funny that! I tend to be the complete opposite. I start the day a lot better than I end it

KatiePink
01-04-16, 23:51
Mornings are worse for me too, i wake up with anxiety or this 'dreaded' feeling before i even get out of bed, not sure why and it sets the tone for the rest of the day then x

LiveAboveIt
02-04-16, 03:41
I've been off all meds for about 7-8 days now and I still have issues with the morning dread, intrusive thoughts, and just general intense buzz of anxiety. It's not the Citalopram, it's just anxiety. Claire Weekes mentions it in one of her books and suggest to just immediately leap out of bed and get on with your day as soon as you wake up.

MyNameIsTerry
02-04-16, 05:13
I've always been a "morning person" when it comes to anxiety. Totally the opposite when it comes to energy though...I'm really not a morning person then!

Cortisol is supposed to be at the highest when we wake and naturally wains over the course of the day. I wonder if this is the reason but then there are people who have the opposite pattern, like Jay, and it doesn't make sense again.

I agree with Weekes on that one, get moving. Get rehydrated, get some light food an get out. It can help. Burn off a bit of adrenaline with some walking perhaps. It's hard though because you don't want to do anything and the dread makes you hate the coming day.

Jaysmd
02-04-16, 05:27
I have even switched between taking it at evening and morning but it doesn't seem to change the outcome

karenp
02-04-16, 08:30
Whenever I have been on Citalopram I started off feeling terrible all day but eventually just mornings which were always the final thing to come right. I knew I was better once I woke up feeling totally normal again but it always seemed to take about 4 months to reach that point for me, just been put back on it only haven't taken it yet as too afraid as it really does make me very poorly at first. xx Angry at myself for agreeing to coming off it as I was perfect!

R1CH
02-04-16, 13:04
Yes that morning feeling is awful. I have read that there is a high level of a stress hormone called cortisol in your body in the mornings.

I personally don't remember having this when I was off Citilapram so for me I think the increased anxiety of start-up is causing this. The good thing is that Citilapram will kick it in the end and you should wake up feeling pretty good.

Rich

Suziewuzie
02-04-16, 16:09
Yeah I don't remember having it THIS bad before the citalopram, I used to feel a bit 'blurgh' in the mornings but now I feel absolute doom! It's crazy because it's now 4pm here and I've been to work & met my friends for a drink and I feel great, but this morning I couldn't imagine feeling any worse - and tomorrow it will be the same.

LiveAboveIt
03-04-16, 20:15
I'm honestly not really feeling the Cortisol increase in the mornings anymore.. It's more just apprehensive anxiety and negative thoughts about the day. Mornings are still the worst for me, because I have to recite everything I know and learn to float/be okay with the anxiety all over again. Usually starts lessening by the end of the night, but I only get a couple hours feeling halfway decent.

ss2016
10-04-16, 21:03
If I remember correctly from being on celexa two years ago the morning anxiety was one of the last symptoms/side effects to disappear. Have others felt the same?

LiveAboveIt
10-04-16, 21:36
Yeah, I can pretty much conclude at this point that the morning anxiety is indeed caused or atleast worsened by Citalopram. I still have anxiety issues all day, but the morning anxiety feeling is gone and I am sleeping much better. I'm about Day 16 off of the Citalopram, but I imagine that these side effects go away after you have been on it for awhile.

Mojo61
11-04-16, 17:55
Oh I hate that morning feeling! I'm fine when I wake up, but the moment I "remember" the anxiety I start getting that awful butterfly feeling in my tummy and it goes on from there. I had it long before I started the citalopram and I don't feel it has got any worse, although I'm only on day 10 of 10mg. I'm hoping that eventually it will go and I will be able to wake up in the mornings without thinking about my anxiety. I just want to be normal again, like I was before all this crap started last year.

Mojo61
22-04-16, 14:26
Hi Suzie. Just wondering how you are getting on now with the morning anxiety? Are you still on 10mg? I am 3 weeks in on 10mg and I feel no better - morning anxiety dreadful, anxiety and depression all through the day until the evening when I get a brief reprieve. No appetite, no thirst, nothing.
How long were you taking 10mg for before you started to feel an improvement.

Sorry to ask so many questions :blush:

Suziewuzie
22-04-16, 18:45
I had a couple of weeks around week 6/7 where I noticed the mornings weren't quite so dreadful. Then they got a lot easier from there. I still struggle with them & if I'm on an early shift at work and have to be up at 5am I feel horrible for a good few hours.
Recently I'm waking up and feeling bad in the mornings again and getting palpitations again, but I think it's because I'm super focused on my anxiety tbh.

Mojo61
22-04-16, 19:28
Have you had CBT?

Suziewuzie
22-04-16, 21:05
I was referred for it & did an online CBT course called Silver Cloud which is provided by the NHS. It hasn't really helped so I'm waiting for face to face CBT. I have counselling at work which doesnt really help. I'm not anxious about anything in particular so I dont know that CBT will ever help, I'm not scared of certain things, I go backpacking around the world on my own & work on a busy surgical ward with lots of cardiac arrests and things, I'm not sure what therapy will help me :(

Mojo61
22-04-16, 21:16
You are similar to me. I don't have any particular fears or phobias, never had a panic attack, can drive on motorways, give presentations in front of hundreds of people, yet for some reason I have this awful feeling of anxiety every day. I just woke up with it one morning last November and that was it. It did stop me going on holiday this year as I didn't feel I would be able to cope with being in a foreign country just in case I freaked out. But apart from that there is no rhyme or reason for it, in fact I think I now have anxiety about being anxious because I don't know why I'm like this!

Shazamataz
22-04-16, 22:14
It's definitely a thing to become anxious about being anxious. My psychologist yesterday labelled it 'The fear of fear'. Others call it anticipatory anxiety. You get anxious just at the thought you might get anxious or have a panic attack.

That's where I am at now. Have gone from panic attacks to almost 24/7 anxiety. The attacks have lessened a bit on the mirtazapine and I do get some relief from the all day anxiety for moments at a time but it's always there and mornings are the absolute worst.

I don't sleep much either so am awake from the early hours tossing and turning and generally feeling all over body anxious. It's a horrible way to start the day!

Suziewuzie
23-04-16, 12:32
Yeah this time last year I was travelling around Rajasthan on my own, and then ten months later I'm scared to go to Asda!
I basically was in the supermarket one day with my mum & had a panic attack - no big deal, I've had them before. But this one was different, I felt like everything around me was a dream world & I wasn't real, that feeling normally passes but by the time I got home my mind was racing with thoughts that I was having a psychotic episode, I was going to be sectioned, all sorts of scary thoughts that I just couldn't shake. It lasted for about an hour and it scared the life out of me.
I immediately started taking Sertraline - which does have bad start-up effects anyway - and that was it. I was never the same again. I think if I hadn't taken the sertraline I probably would have just forgot about the panic attack and been fine, but the start up anxiety on top of my mild anxiety just turned me into a nervous wreck.

Mojo61
23-04-16, 13:44
Oh for the day when someone comes up with an antidepressant/anti anxiety medication that doesn't have paradoxical side effects and works quickly. Whoever does will become a multi millionaire overnight - wish it was me!

LiveAboveIt
23-04-16, 16:06
Oh I hate that morning feeling! I'm fine when I wake up, but the moment I "remember" the anxiety I start getting that awful butterfly feeling in my tummy and it goes on from there. I had it long before I started the citalopram and I don't feel it has got any worse, although I'm only on day 10 of 10mg. I'm hoping that eventually it will go and I will be able to wake up in the mornings without thinking about my anxiety. I just want to be normal again, like I was before all this crap started last year.

Im going through this right now and I hate it. Woke up feeling alright and then moments later had the anxiety woosh over me. I really dont understand anxiety, lol. Now I have this dread and I cant stop thinking about the anxiety. Not fun.

Suziewuzie
23-04-16, 16:08
Haha I knoooow! I always used to think that but now I just remind myself that they aren't meant to remove all of my anxiety, just to be my crutch while I develop coping methods & get myself through it x

AndyB510
24-04-16, 12:05
Back on the Citalopram after a 6-7 year break and for me even with the pre meds anxiety, mornings were never so intensely debilitating as they are on the Cit. Keep having to remind myself that a couple of hours in the malaise wont be as bad, hard work but only 13 days in so some time to go :huh:

danithegirl
24-04-16, 14:38
I'm 13 days in now too! Mornings are still the worst. Just wake up dreading the day and debating between letting the wave pass through me or just getting up and forcing myself to get moving.

Mojo61
24-04-16, 14:47
My "morning" feeling doesn't start going until about 5pm, sometimes later.

AndyB510
24-04-16, 14:48
I'm 13 days in now too! Mornings are still the worst. Just wake up dreading the day and debating between letting the wave pass through me or just getting up and forcing myself to get moving.

Dont know if this is any use but made myself get up earlier and clean the fishtank (such joys), felt like crap first thing, now feel a lot better although awaiting the next dip...

Mojo61
24-04-16, 16:45
It is so easy to just lie in bed until midday when you don't have to get up for anything, but it doesn't help. I've found I'm much better on the days when I have to get up and go somewhere. Perhaps I should get a job?

Suziewuzie
24-04-16, 17:53
I don't think I would've gotten this far if I hadn't gone back to work. I was off for 2 months in total & I was starting to get deeply depressed, I'd never experienced real, clinical depression before but I know I did during those weeks. I think that was around week 4. Going back to work meant that I HAD to get up no matter how I felt, and for 8 hours of the day I couldn't think about my anxiety. Once you stip thinking about your anxiety - you're halfway there.

Mojo61
24-04-16, 18:06
I need to get a job, even if it is voluntary work!

danithegirl
24-04-16, 20:17
Meanwhile, I think I need a new job. I'm in a place right now where I'm done early (long story), and I run out of things to do so I try and do busy work..... which gets me thinking, which gets my anxiety rolling, and it's just this vicious cycle.

LiveAboveIt
25-04-16, 01:24
I really need a job as well, just a reason to get out of the house and do something else. Working from home isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Mojo61
25-04-16, 18:07
Any tips on dealing with morning anxiety? How do you deal with it?

I don't work so my day is my own really, which I don't think helps as the devil makes work for idle hands doesn't he?

I would love a job but I'm too worried about doing that because I'm full of wonderful ideas and plans in the evening when I'm feeling better, but I know come the morning old faithful will be back and if I took on a job and I couldn't go I would end up getting the sack!

danithegirl
25-04-16, 19:41
I know this probably isn't what you want to hear (I say that because I tell it to myself every day and hate it), but for me, the best thing to do is to just get up out of bed and get moving. If you just lay there, you dwell. Hop in the shower, turn on the TV, bring up a good memory that you have. It won't make the anxiety go away completely, but it does help. Pretty soon you'll find yourself in a place of "okay, this isn't as bad as it was 10 minutes ago."

Mojo61
25-04-16, 20:13
I can't get up at 5am, it would make the day unbearable