PDA

View Full Version : New to citalopram, argh!

Chaos09
01-04-16, 23:01
Hello all. I started taking 20mg of citalopram on Tuesday due to anxiety and depression. I tried mirtazapine first and really didn't like it...it gave me terrible dreams, anger and frankly I'd have gone up 3 dress sizes by summer if I'd carried on with it.
I was wondering how people are finding citalopram? I am currently in a very stressful situation and have had an awful lot going on in my personal life as well over the last six months, and after suffering another few sleepless nights, decided it was time to get a bit of help. The utter panic I've felt, especially today, on cit is awful. I saw my pharmacist today and he was great, gave me some meditation and relaxation techniques and advised me to try and power through but to go back if I experienced any suicidal thoughts. I absolutely don't feel that way but I just want some reassurance that this panic will stop! I have a child, a business to run, a partner and life to try and enjoy and I really can't deal with this level of anxiety for too long! It's been constant and overpowering today :(

Chaos09
02-04-16, 11:55
Thank goodness, I don't feel quite as panicked today.... Yesterday was hellish. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not at work out not but I'm taking my son out for the day and was dreading feeling like that. It's still there but under the surface, which is fine....I think I would just really like some reassurance that I'll get back to normal one day :'(

mark84
02-04-16, 14:20
Stick with it, I've been on citalopram maybe 20 months now and it continues to benefit me, it took a good while to kick in though, around 7 weeks

Suziewuzie
02-04-16, 16:10
I'm 2 months today and had a hard time getting used to it, but now I can lead a mostly normal life & my anxiety is much easier to ignore. Hang in there! X

Jaysmd
02-04-16, 17:05
I'm just over 2 months and I'm in a much better place than I was at the beginning. Still not there yet, it's a long road

Chaos09
02-04-16, 18:52
Thankyou all :) I feel so much better today. Not great but much much better than yesterday thank God.
I'm wondering what peoples experiences of drinking alcohol are when takingcitalopram? Does it increase any side effects? I'm not about to get trollied haha just wondering if I should risk a glass of wine at any point?
I am so relieved that I've at least had a break from the panic.

Jaysmd
02-04-16, 19:29
A couple of glasses of wine won't hurt. Don't drive though! Lol

Chaos09
02-04-16, 19:39
Haha course not, thankyou for that, I just didn't want it to increase the side effects dramatically. Fingers crossed I start having more days like today! Kind of dreading Monday as work is so stressful right now, I hope I manage to stay ok for that.

Jaysmd
02-04-16, 19:46
There will be up and Downs, but any improvement is always a positive sign. Good luck

Suziewuzie
02-04-16, 22:01
My first week on citalopram I drank a full bottle of prosecco and felt fine! I think people get worse hangovers on it and a woman at work said her hubby is completely wiped out the next day if he drinks on it, but I've drank a few times & been fine xx

Jaysmd
02-04-16, 22:06
Whenever I have had a little too much to drink while on ad's it has just hit me a lot faster and I have got a little silly in the past... So now if I ever I do drink I just limit myself knowing the effects of alcohol may be magnified

LiveAboveIt
03-04-16, 20:13
I would love to have a drink and relax, I just worry how it will affect my withdrawals. Been really difficult because lately everyone has been going out and drinking.. I have been refraining from doing any drinking and always end up being the sober driver lately, lmao.

Chaos09
04-04-16, 10:31
Thanks everyone! Had a few glasses of wine the the other night and it affected me quicker, but I've not been eating Wel at all so I think that's partly to blame too.
I am more anxious today but at work, so I expected it. I am struggling with appetite, I want to exercise but I think I'd pass out! I just keep getting this awful feeling where I'm totally overwhelmed by silly stuff, like yesterday the thought that I had my sons school uniform to iron and lunch to make seemed insurmountable. I've done it obviously and it was fine, I just feel like I'll never be neck to normal. This has all snuck up on me and I hate it! :weep:

R1CH
06-04-16, 12:24
Thanks everyone! Had a few glasses of wine the the other night and it affected me quicker, but I've not been eating Wel at all so I think that's partly to blame too.
I am more anxious today but at work, so I expected it. I am struggling with appetite, I want to exercise but I think I'd pass out! I just keep getting this awful feeling where I'm totally overwhelmed by silly stuff, like yesterday the thought that I had my sons school uniform to iron and lunch to make seemed insurmountable. I've done it obviously and it was fine, I just feel like I'll never be neck to normal. This has all snuck up on me and I hate it! :weep:

Remember alcohol is a depressant and its well known to cause anxiety the next day if you drink too much (beer fear). I drank on citalopram for years previously but I've just about given up the drink now.

Hope you are feeling better

Rich

Chaos09
07-04-16, 09:07
Hi rich, yes I've noticed I'm more anxious if I've had a drink the night before, what a pain! I do seem so much worse in a morning anyway, it evens out a bit after a few hours but as soon as I open my eyes I start with the anxiety. I want even that anxious before taking it, just unfair and stressed. Hope it starts to work soon, I know it's early days still.... Day 10 now!

Mojo61
09-04-16, 16:13
Hi Chaos09. I'm on day 8 of 10mg Citalopram so we are pretty close together time wise. How are you feeling today?

Chaos09
10-04-16, 23:15
Hi! Not so bad thanks although I suspect Monday morning will be a different story! I am feeling so much more anxious on these tablets but I am hopeful, as it seems to be gradually getting easier. How are you? I'm seeing my Dr on Tuesday so looking forward to getting done reassurance!

Mojo61
11-04-16, 09:46
I'm still feeling rough but hoping this won't last much longer as all the info says side effects should start easing up after 2 weeks and I'm on day 10. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling panicky and couldn't get back to sleep so I stupidly took 2 diazepam tablets and I woke up at 9.30am feeling really dizzy and "stoned". Just sitting here waiting for it to wear off now :(

Chaos09
11-04-16, 10:29
Aww no hope you feel better soon. I was very surprised this morning that I woke up and wasn't in a blind panic, but now I'm at work and there's a load of stress and now I am. Aaaargh! I hate how helpless I feel with anxiety :(

Mojo61
11-04-16, 14:08
It can only get better Chaos so don't give up hope. Remember that with each passing day you are 24hrs closer to being back to your normal self. The side effects are awful I know, but I have read that the worse they are the better the medicine will work for you in the long run.

Chaos09
11-04-16, 20:06
Thanks mojo that's a good way of looking at it :) I'm wondering if my dosage will be upped or not tomorrow.... I hope not frankly but we'll see! How are you?

Mojo61
11-04-16, 20:59
Starting to calm down a bit now, although for some odd reason my heart is pounding! Please let us know how you get on at your review tomorrow.

ss2016
11-04-16, 21:17
Thanks mojo that's a good way of looking at it :) I'm wondering if my dosage will be upped or not tomorrow.... I hope not frankly but we'll see! How are you?

I would personally wait a month or two to see how you do on the 20. That's what I am going to do. I like to be on the least amount as needed as you may end up with more side effects on higher dosages that don't go away, but that is a decision between you and your doctor.

---------- Post added at 16:17 ---------- Previous post was at 16:13 ----------

Starting to calm down a bit now, although for some odd reason my heart is pounding! Please let us know how you get on at your review tomorrow.

My heart has been pounding too! its just the anxiety. Also are you trying to stop the beta blocker? If so just don't stop it. You need to tapper off of it as you can get some rebound effects and one being heart pounding. I think you said you went on HRT too, so I am not sure how this can be playing into all you symptoms.

Chaos09
11-04-16, 21:59
Thanks both, I will definitely speak to her about it, it wouldn't be my choice to up it yet tbh so we'll see!
I get the heart pounding a lot. Rough day at work and same tomorrow I think, so I'm already thinking about it. Not that it helps obviously!!