PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Dying_Swan
05-03-07, 23:36
Hi everyone.

I started suffering Panic Attacks about 2 years ago, and became very depressed and agoraphobic etc etc. Took a year out of life, and then came back!

So, 2 years on I am very much better, but not 100% cured. I always wanted to talk to people who understood what I felt, but never thought of a forum before.

I also wonder whether my own experiences could help others. I've had a fair bit of therapy and medications, and know a bit about these things now (though am by no means an expert!)

Anyway. Not sure what else to say for now! x :)

Pink Princess
06-03-07, 00:05
hey welcome to the site, hope you are well. speak soon and take kare x x x

Pixette
06-03-07, 06:11
Welcome people on here are very supportive.

What has helped you most on your journery to recovery any tips will be welcomed??

skylight2007
06-03-07, 09:43
Hiya there swan, glad your here, its always appreciated to know how you've come along and I am sure you have come a long way. This is a wonderful place and you'll find lots of support here as well sharing your own experiences which will help others too. take care skylight

trac67
06-03-07, 10:12
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends,

Take care

Trac xx

manmoor
06-03-07, 11:27
Hi Swan,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

wobily_lin
06-03-07, 12:42
Elo,
Welcome to the site..great support n advice here..glad to have ya on board x

debera
06-03-07, 12:44
HI AND WELCOME
DEBERA

Dying_Swan
06-03-07, 15:33
Hi everyone.

Thank you so much for all your friendly welcomes.

Pixette - I think the thing that helped me the most was CBT. Not so much the whole process, but a few key points allowed me to realise that, even though panic attacks feel HORRIBLE, nothing bad will actually happen. Also, I slowy realised that what they say is true......the more you run away from a situation, the worse it becomes. When you handle a panic attack and don't run from it, awful as it is, it soon disappears and you feel so proud. It really boosts you and gives you the confidence to go on.

My family and friends were very supportive, but never understood that putting pressure on me to go back to work was the worst thing. I think I knew when I was ready to start aiming for that. It was the hardest thing I ever did, but now I wouldn't change it for the world. I've had hard days, but know how far I have come. I will never forget what it is liked being gripped by such awful anxiety (I am still a terrible worrier), and just want people to know that things really can get better, however hopeless it feels.

I hope everyone is well and enjoying today xx

skylight2007
06-03-07, 15:59
Such a lovely positive post swan!!!! and you have come very far, thank you so much for sharing that with us!!!!!! skylight

nomorepanic
06-03-07, 17:25
Hi Swan

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Look forward to reading more of your tips etc. I too had CBT and it really helped me as well.

Pixette
07-03-07, 08:25
thanks for sharing your success- its helpful to know that there is a light at the end of a very long dark tunnel :hugs:

Its very important to me to read how people overcome their particular difficulties. xxxx

Dying_Swan
07-03-07, 09:01
Hi all.

Will write more soon. On night shifts at the moment!

Take care everyone and have a good day. Chins up!

xxx

skylight2007
07-03-07, 09:06
:D have a good day tooooooooooooo swan!!! the night shift eh!!! dont work tooooooo hard!!! skylight

kittykat
07-03-07, 13:09
Hi there Swan, a BIG welcome to the site .

take care

shirley xx

Dying_Swan
07-03-07, 15:58
Hi all.

Thanks once again for being so friendly. I should probably start posting under a different heading now that I've 'introduced myself', but have no idea where to write!

Anyway, I wanted to mention something else that I think is really important in overcoming panic and anxiety. It's not something that I find easy, but I think it's necessary. You need to learn how to stop being introspective. I mean, to try to stop thinking about how you are feeling, and focus on what is going on around you. That sounds really horrible - I don't mean it like that!

I just mean that being able to focus on what is happening around you, helps you to ignore the sensations of panic, and can prevent a full blown attack. Some professionals don't recommend 'distraction', but I do.

Take last night as an example. I was settling down for a night of great TV watching (!) when my phone rang and I was asked to go into work to help out for a couple of hours. I felt really anxious, because usually I've had time to prepare things (food, uniform, nerves etc!) before I go to work. Last night I just had to go, and my heart was pounding. I felt sure I would panic loads, but didnt...once. It was because I was so busy, I was totally focussed on what I had to do, and not how I was feeling. Consequently, I was there for the whole night with no panic and no anxiety.

A phrase that I really like and use a lot is 'I will keep learning to tackle this with cool, calm, confident, peaceful determination'.
Sometimes, if you can't focus on what's going on around you, try focusing on some positive phrases that help relax you.

Must go now and 'prepare' for tonight. Hoping it will be panic free again!

Take care all and hope you are enjoying a good day xxx