PDA

View Full Version : Propranalol 80mg - take as needed?

panicwomble
03-04-16, 06:36
My GP just prescribed me a month's worth of 80mg propranalol slow release tablets for the anxiety I've been experiencing lately that has been keeping me from falling asleep at night. Fast heartbeat, nausea, etc... and all the fun stuff!

Well, I am wondering whether I need to take these EVERY DAY or only on a as-needed basis,i.e whenever I feel I need them? I don't have feelings of anxiety every single day.

Anyone with any thoughts?

Panicw

sandie
03-04-16, 11:58
Propanalol is a beta blocker which is often prescribed to help keep blood pressure at a sensible level.

I was first prescribed these 10 years ago when I had my first bout of panic attacks and they were a HUGE help. Last year the panic attacks returned, and my GP prescribed Propanalol - 3 x 40 mg daily, and they have been a Godsend ! For the last 2 months I have reduced down to one 40 mg per day and they continue to do the trick.

Perhaps it might be useful to take your dose daily for a week or two to see how things go; if the circumstances which have resulted in your anxiety and panic attacks eases, then you might be able to reduce to say one 80 mg every other day.

These are NOT addictive; there are no start-up or withdrawal side effects.

Catherine S
03-04-16, 13:40
I also take beta blockers, but everybody's experience of them is different and even though they're non-addictive in the true sense, and are not mind-altering like some of the heavy duty meds, they still interact with the nervous system and affect bp and heartrate, so I would give the doctor who prescribed them a call and ask him how he'd like you to take them. Prescription meds, unlike over the counter meds, vitamins and minerals really need to be advised by a doctor or practice nurse.

ISB x

panicwomble
03-04-16, 17:52
Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. I don't really get on super well with my GP, he's an old guy and can be a little patronising. I only wanted something to take "as and when" needed, like Xanax, but he went ahead and prescribed me propranolol for a month, 80mg on slow release. I am iffy about taking beta blockers....I'm not used to taking medication for anything apart from the odd paracetamol or antibiotic once in a blue moon.

I'm also concerned about the potential side effects, especially the weight gain.

So I thought it would be better if I could take them only when needed, when I am anticipating a really stressful day when I might get too anxious to sleep at night. I've read that you can take propranolol that way, but I don't know about slow release tablets? And whether it will mess up my system to take them this way.

Panicw

Catherine S
03-04-16, 18:42
Hi, yes you can take them as and when needed...some people take them only if they have to give a speech or nervous about flying, but we can 't really tell you how to take a prescription drug to be honest, we can only share our own experiences of taking them or share information on the forum about them. Only your doctor can talk to you about how best to take this kind of med. However, even if you took them every day for the month prescribed, you might not be on them long enough to experience any side effects. Hope that helps.

ISB x

dally
03-04-16, 21:17
Hi,
I have been prescribed propanalol 10 and 40 mg.
I find 10 mgs take the edge off anxiety and 20 mgs help me with more severe anxiety.
I find dosage dependent on the person's own body\situation\requirement.

My GP, however told me 40 mgs twice daily is the dose for therapeutic affect on anxiety.

The drug is meant to be effective for up to 6 hours per dose, some people don't like the awareness of it wearing off (by the rise in anxiety symptoms,)
Therefore GPS prescribe slow release tabs, which balances it out.

The theory is by taking propanalol daily, they will help to lesson your 'general anxiety levels' on a daily basis and should help you have a worry free sleep.

But there are minor SEs. Such as increased appetite, nightmares breathlessness and very low BP.
So these have to be taken into account in your lifestyle.

If you decide to take propanol as required, I would suggest the regular form of tablets which could be more easily adjusted, rather than the much longer low release

Catherine S
03-04-16, 21:32
I agree with dally on the point that if only taken as and when, the normal tablets lend themselves to this much better than the slow release ones, which are usually prescribed for daily use.

ISB