PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety and smoking

Traceypo
03-04-16, 09:11
Hi all,
I've been doing well lately and working so hard to battle health anxiety that some days I'm arguing with myself in my head all day.
My next battle is smoking, I've been trapped in that vicious cycle of smoking helps my anxiety when in fact it may give some tiny bit of instant relief when I light a cigarette, but the health consequences of smoking fuel my health anxiety even more. Most of my fixations for my health anxiety are smoking related such as heart, throat etc so my logic behind this is if I stop smoking, these worries will reduce.
I know all the gains of stopping and I can't see any gains to continuing.
I'm going to use this thread for when I'm tempted and post my thoughts and feelings and remind myself why I'm doing this.
Smoking does not decrease anxiety, it causes it, the control cigarettes have over me makes me more anxious, I'm off to Disneyland in three weeks and I don't want to be spoiling my time there worrying whether I have enough cigarettes, will they sell my brand, where can I smoke etc. I don't want to use any nrt as it's just swapping the addiction and the control will still remain.
So today is the day, the day I set myself free of an addiction I've had for 17 years, I want to be here to see my grandchildren brought into the world, I don't want my children to resent me for continuing to smoke and I need a new kitchen desperately which I could afford if I kick this selfish habit.

turnthelighton
03-04-16, 09:57
I am with you on this. No more smoking and it starts today. Good luck.

Traceypo
03-04-16, 10:00
Thanks hun, feel free to pm me if you're struggling, even if it's just for a distraction, I can't promise to reply straight away, but I will get back to you.
We can do this! Xxx

Beckybecks
03-04-16, 10:41
Well done! I could have written that post myself. I too use smoking as an anxiety relief tool. It doesn't actually bring relief, except in my head! I have attached such an importance to smoking as my relaxation aid that whenever I try to stop, my anxiety rears its ugly head and tells me to have a smoke.....but the health issues are continuously screaming at me and with HA we all know how that works.......
So thank you for being the incentive I need to ditch this habit that has such a hold on me

Traceypo
03-04-16, 11:13
Let's use this thread to do something positive, I read a really interesting thread before where someone stopped smoking and all her health anxiety went away, that's my inspiration. It might not all disappear, but it's got to do more good than harm. I think about stopping smoking all of the time and it's about time I did something about it.
Xxx

pulisa
03-04-16, 12:42
Good luck, Tracey! Smoking is a horrible addiction-I can't think of any positive things to say about it.

I'm sure with your determination you will be able to kick the nicotine into touch once and for all! x

Merlin24
03-04-16, 15:29
I am one week no smoking today- gave up for the same reason! good luck, you'll feel lots better x

Traceypo
04-04-16, 11:56
Thanks pulisa, that's the ridiculous thing, I know smoking has no redeeming features whatsoever, it's an awful habit with no benefits. Biggest regret of my life.
Merlin, well done hun, that's brilliant, have you any tips? You should be so proud of yourself.
Xxx

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 ----------

I must admit I'm feeling tempted to buy 10 more cigarettes.
I've never been good at saying no to myself.
When tempted I need to remember why I'm doing this, mainly to improve my health now and in the future. I don't want to be one of those people who struggle to breathe, or who are forced to give up, or don't do it as it's already too late.

Fishmanpa
04-04-16, 12:31
You know my feelings on the subject so I'm with you 110%! :yesyes:

Positive thoughts

Beckybecks
04-04-16, 13:28
There are some really good forums for people giving up smoking. I joined one last year. Everyone is so supportive and not at all judgemental when you have a slip up.
Unfortunately I allowed my anxiety to get the better of me and my latest slip up is still on going....

Traceypo
04-04-16, 13:32
Thanks Fishmanpa, I do know your feelings and you're part of the reason, your wise words in a previous thread still resound - do it out of choice not because your hand is forced.
I feel foolish when I go to doctors with any health complaint as I'm expecting these professionals to make my mind and body better but I'm not willing to help myself if I continue poisoning my body.
Xxx

Traceypo
21-04-16, 07:35
Hi all, update on the stop smoking, first I cut down and was finding it really hard to cut out certain cigarettes (mainly morning and late evening). Booked into NHS stop smoking service and I'm now on day 3 of no smoking using the inhalator (don't like patches as they make me more anxious).
Do I feel any better? Yes I do, I'm not sleeping great nut bizarrely I'm not tired, I've downloaded a few stop smoking apps and they have been really useful to reiterate the health benefits and visually show my progress, I also know just smoking one cigarette will set all that back to 0%. I'm less anxious as I have something else to focus on.
My main anxieties have always been heart attack and to physically see the risk of this dropping has been a huge motivator.
Xxx

Shazamataz
21-04-16, 07:55
Well done!

I also smoke and regret ever starting. I also know that it makes my anxiety worse. Psychologically while having a smoke I feel better but I am also anxious about the long term effects (have been smoking for 20 years!) and get worried about the health effects. I'm sure it contributes to my sometimes fast heartbeat at least.

Keep up the good work, I think I will have to get my head into gear and join you.

Traceypo
21-04-16, 08:08
Good luck Shaz, I'm finding the apps useful as a visual to remind me of the health benefits, apart from a bizarre sleep pattern (it's still early days), I do feel a lot better, I haven't changed any of my routines and I'm still having a glass of wine on an evening. It's strange as my whole day was focused on smoking, for example I'll do this ironing then have a cigarette, or I'll have a cigarette before I go shopping etc so that parts a little weird as that part has been ingrained for years.
Xxx

Fishmanpa
21-04-16, 16:09
When I decided to quit, I read the cancer society's benefit over time and it really helped motivate me in the initial stages. I used an e-cig and cut down the nicotine over time. The rest unfortunately was history and I would have had no choice anyway but still.... I grabbed the list.... see below.

20 minutes after quitting

Your heart rate and blood pressure drop.

(Effect of smoking on arterial stiffness and pulse pressure amplification, Mahmud A, Feely J. Hypertension. 2003:41:183)

12 hours after quitting

The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.

(US Surgeon General’s Report, 1988, p. 202)

2 weeks to 3 months after quitting

Your circulation improves and your lung function increases.

(US Surgeon General’s Report, 1990, pp.193, 194,196, 285, 323)

1 to 9 months after quitting

Coughing and shortness of breath decrease; cilia (tiny hair-like structures that move mucus out of the lungs) start to regain normal function in the lungs, increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce the risk of infection.

(US Surgeon General’s Report, 1990, pp. 285-287, 304)

1 year after quitting

The excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a continuing smoker’s.

(US Surgeon General’s Report, 2010, p. 359)

5 years after quitting

Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, and bladder are cut in half. Cervical cancer risk falls to that of a non-smoker. Stroke risk can fall to that of a non-smoker after 2-5 years.

(A Report of the Surgeon General: How Tobacco Smoke Causes Disease - The Biology and Behavioral Basis for Smoking-Attributable Disease Fact Sheet, 2010; and Tobacco Control: Reversal of Risk After Quitting Smoking. IARC Handbooks of Cancer Prevention, Vol. 11. 2007, p 341)

10 years after quitting

The risk of dying from lung cancer is about half that of a person who is still smoking. The risk of cancer of the larynx (voice box) and pancreas decreases.

(A Report of the Surgeon General: How Tobacco Smoke Causes Disease - The Biology and Behavioral Basis for Smoking-Attributable Disease Fact Sheet, 2010; and US Surgeon General’s Report, 1990, pp. vi, 155, 165)

15 years after quitting

The risk of coronary heart disease is that of a non-smoker’s.

(Tobacco Control: Reversal of Risk After Quitting Smoking. IARC Handbooks of Cancer Prevention, Vol. 11. 2007. p 11)

These are just a few of the benefits of quitting smoking for good. Quitting smoking lowers the risk of diabetes, lets blood vessels work better, and helps the heart and lungs. Quitting while you are younger will reduce your health risks more, but quitting at any age can give back years of life that would be lost by continuing to smoke.

Traceypo
21-04-16, 17:42
Thanks FMP, my dad quit 11 years ago, he has COPD but I'm fairly certain that had he not quit he wouldn't be here now. I'm 36, too old to be making excuses, let's be fair, it's a horrible habit with NO redeeming features, at one time it was very acceptable to smoke, now I just feel embarrassed to smoke in public.
I'm not missing it much at present, but if this attempt should fail, I'm booking in for hypnosis.
Xxx

lilitu
22-04-16, 00:13
Congrats on your quit, Tracypo! Smoking is also a big trigger for my health anxiety (having sinus problems after I got the flu, currently think I'm dying...).

Decided to quit and watched a video on YouTube done by the Allen Carr people. They do seminars too, but they're pretty expensive.

This was SO helpful to me! It may help you get off the nebulizer too if you want to.

So far, quitting has been pretty easy. I haven't had any serious cravings at all. My throat hurts less, although I am coughing up more gunk (I am at the end of the first week, so this is expected). Still anxious, but not quite as bad as I was the night I decided I'd finally had enough.

I can't seem to post a link since I'm new, but just search "Allen Carr - Ο εύκολος τρόπος να κόψετε το κάπνισμα - Easyway to stop smoking" on YouTube. :)

Traceypo
22-04-16, 13:34
Thanks hun, I will, I read his book and it all makes sense. I don't feel too bad although my throat still hurts but it was hurting before I quit.
For a split second earlier I really wanted one, but for once my fears are working in my favour as know if I smoke one I'll be dizzy and feel poorly so it's that fear that is overcoming the urge to smoke.
Good luck xxx

Traceypo
23-04-16, 08:55
Day 5, going well apart from mouth ulcers especially on side of tongue, not coughing up brown gunk but it does seem to appear from the back of my throat without any cough.
I'm trying not to look too far ahead, one day at a time, I keep telling myself I didn't smoke yesterday, I can do it again today, saved nearly £45 so far too.
Xxx

Traceypo
24-04-16, 08:43
Day 6 - going well, mouth still aches, had wonderful night sweats and some insomnia, yet weirdly feel better than when I smoked.
Joined a stop smoking forum for support and questions about withdrawal symptoms and I've been assured all my above symptoms are normal.
For the first time in a long while I feel more in control of my health and my own outcomes.
Xx

Natalie2389
25-04-16, 09:47
Well done Hun I'm starting today. What forums have you joined for
Support x

Traceypo
14-06-16, 08:40
Hi Natalie, didn't see this, I joined health unlocked.

2 months today, very proud of myself, still going to the gym, saved £500 so far and feel great.

Xxx

Katie55
14-06-16, 12:30
Just wanted to say- after smoking for 25 years- it's now 12 YEARS AND 5 MONTHS since I gave up!! Don't miss it either now.
My reason for posting is not to boast but to encourage you as if I can do it, anyone can!
Good luck!

Traceypo
14-06-16, 14:48
Well done hun, that's great, strangely, I don't miss it. Once I made that decision and stuck to it I've found it pretty easy. I was so miserable as a smoker that I reasoned I couldn't be more miserable as a non smoker and I was right xx

Traceypo
20-08-16, 22:19
It's now been over 4 months. Saved over £1000, not sure how I could afford to smoke as I certainly don't have that amount in my account.
Done two holidays, numerous nights out, stressful situations and all of the other excuses I previously used to justify my smoking and I've actually coped better and enjoyed myself more as I'm not stressed out about when, how and where I can have my next cigarette. Anyone contemplating quitting, I urge you to try, you have nothing to lose.

Colicab85
20-08-16, 22:25
That's awesome.

I quit around a year ago now. When i look back I can't believe I even smoked in the first place. It is the most ridiculous thing you could possibly ever do.

Traceypo
20-08-16, 22:32
Couldn't agree more, we just convince ourselves at the time that we need to do it for various reasons.
Well done on your quit too.
Xxx

Ulver
21-08-16, 11:36
I am on day 18th of quitting. Health anxiety led me to stop so I guess it did something good for my life at least. Of course if one suffers from HA one will find things to worry about even after quitting smoking, especially if the nicotine withdrawal is quite bad to give physical symptoms (which I still have). But overall it's a great thing to do for your body and in the long term I do believe quitting will have a positive effect even on stress

Colicab85
21-08-16, 12:11
It definitely will.

Carbon Monoxide and Tar etc is not meant to be in your system. And certainly not at £10 a packet.

Traceypo
21-08-16, 16:56
Well done on your quit Ulver, I found the Alan Carr book to be great in helping me understand how smoking increases anxiety.
Keep at it, I barely think about it now, the odd moment I think I'll go and have a cigarette, then I remind myself I don't smoke and that's as far as those thoughts go.
I've got far more energy, exercise more, and I'm wealthier.
Wishing you every success with your quit.
Xxx