PDA

View Full Version : Some tips for Long Haul Flight

MrTense
03-04-16, 20:40
Hello everyone. I am new here, I am 23 year old male just trying to keep up beat about life. I've been battling some mild anxiety and been browsing the site and elsewhere for help for a while.

I am about to share my story with you and ask for some tips but I guess it's only fair I share my coping mechanism first for help to others, you may find it useful or just plain right stupid. What helps me is constantly reminding myself yes I may have anxiety, yes my body may feel like it is constant fear BUT that is not going to stop me living my life the way I want to. Whenever I hold back on doing something I go in my head "hang on mr Anxiety we're going to do this "incredibly scary task" and you're going to do it with me". Sounds crazy I know but it may help for you.

Here's my story anyways, recently I was unhappy in my job so decided I wanted to travel the world. I came across a course called a TEFL which meant I could study to do this qualification that would enable me to teach in Thailand. I'd work my stressfull 9-5 finance job then come home and study all evening along with my exercise. After I completed the course my mornings and evenings before and after work would be sorting out skype interviews with schools in Thailand etc. Let's just say my life was non stop; no rest and I actually kind of loved it.

I eventually secured a position in Thailand and I am due to fly out on April 28th to start my new life. I found however where it is all now sorted I was struggling to relax in my spare time after work so I would resort to working out every day in an attempt to kill this tension of having nothing to do and of course to help me sleep. This small tension began to creep into my every day life mainly in situations where I have no control e.g. train journeys, work meetings etc. I can feel my body tensing up and it's like I need the urge to move. Fight or flight kicking in. I suffered my first panic attack (or close to one) on a train to London one morning after a big drinking session where I felt the need to escape the situtation or else I'd lose sanity.

After this frightening situation I had a few days of worry but I began to fight the anxiety, I started eating more healthy, I started relaxation techniques and mindfulness (Cannot stress how much this helps, anyone should try mindfulness) and I cut out all caffeine. The anxiety seemed to be decreasing, not fully gone but it was becoming more bareable. I also had a phone therapy with a charity called nopanic where the guy stated on my first session that it sounded like my anxiety was mild so he canceled all further sessions.

This weekend just gone I had to fly to Scotland to see my Nan who is very poorly through cancer and with me going to Thailand sadly this trip was the final goodbye. The flight out was a worry but to my surprise I really enjoyed it and felt almost relaxed and content for the first time in months! It all seemed to good to be true because on the flight back we received an initial delay and I could feel the nerves kicking in. Then on the plane we were delayed further and bang the adrenaline kicks in, the anxiety is back. The thoughts of Im losing my head get me off this flight surface. I did manage to calm myself down but felt pretty shaken all day after.

I have this huge 15 hour flight with a stop approaching to Thailand soon and I need some advice to make it more barebale. Unfortunately I can't get the help for the anxiety I need due to how soon I am flying out so self help, relaxation techniques and positive thinking it is till then! What tips do you guys have for me in preparing for this 15 hour marathon? Do baches rescue remedy work or take the edge off?

I know theres always asking the GP for some Xanax but I want to train my brain to think it's ok to fly / travel without drugs.

Sorry for this ridiculously long story but I feel like I needed some friendly tips / advice. I also like to help out where I can as I understand with anxiety it is easy to become self absorbed so if anyone just needs a chat I am here.

Kind regards all.

netminder1976
07-04-16, 23:55
Maybe try bringing some books you enjoy with you. Or if you have a tablet or laptop, some movies that you really enjoy. Just remember that you are going to do something that you should really enjoy and the flight is just the beginning of a new chapter of your life. Best of luck with it and you will get through it.

justashortinterlude
11-04-16, 15:51
Congratulations on your upcoming adventure! :smile:

When I travel long haul I find it hard to even think about the holiday let alone the flight! My best tip is to take the journey in steps & try not to think about the next step, for example the night before the flight I focus on packaging, printing my boarding pass, having a shower etc, then in the morning I focus on eating breakfast, making sure I have everything, then making my way to the airport. I guess in a way this is mindfulness, staying in the moment & trying not to think or worry about the next step.

I would ask your GP for the Xanax, I have been prescribed it & I find it an extra comfort to have it with me in case I do start to panic. I am unsure if it even does anything for me however the physiological benefit I feel from just having it in my pocket helps so much.

Also the moment I step on the plane I know that I have the journey ahead of me & I can't get off like I would a train so in a weird way this also calms me down & I find myself relaxing. Also a good book helps to whittle the hours away!

Good luck on your adventure & enjoy :smile:

Walshy
12-04-16, 02:08
Hello!

Just saw this forum on a blog I came across as I too suffer from anxiety and I'm also going to Thailand on the 25th of April. It's now only 2 weeks away and well let's say the anxiety is growing haha. Here's my story for you so you feel more normal and some things may help you too.

I had my first panic attac 5 years ago when I thought my food had been spiked and I was really hungover. My friend said the word and then me being an over thinker ended up sending my body into shock. I didn't know what it was at the time but me being me then researched loads and diagnosed myself. I think it made it better I some ways but also worse in other ways as I've made it more of a 'thing' in my life.

I'm fine in places where I feel safe and like you find its more in an interview scenario, even if I'm the one interviewing lol, queues, airports, train stations etc etc. I've relied on alcohol on and off quite a bit which is a massive catch 22. I wouldn't advise it lol. As its a depressant it relaxes my head but obviously the next day if I hit it too hard then it's one big struggle. I've never wanted to take anti depressants and in my head the odd beer to help me chill was a better option. Only thing is as soon as something stressful now I've trained myself to think I need a drink. Not an alcoholic just trained my brain to act like one haha.

So anyway, like you I know I'm a strong person and I know I can get through it but when it happens it terrifies me. My mum is an alcohol and drugs counsellor and she's told me a few things that have helped me in my own head a bit lately.

When your head starts saying to you "yeah you are getting anxious, yeah you definitely are now, yup I think you should panic" lol just think if it as doom and gloom radio playing. Sounds silly but if I'm just having a small attack thinking of it like that actually makes me laugh a bit. Doom n gloom radio is playing and that's fine. It can play and tell me how wrong everything is going to go and how unsafe I am but that's just what doom n gloom station does. Let it play, it's ok you know what it is. Accept it and try keep focus of what your actually trying to do.

Another is that remember it's not actually you as a person that's thinking this. If it was you wouldn't have to talk to it and say you're fine, you're fine or ask yourself questions. If it was you then you'd just know. So just remember it's not actually you. It's just your body reacting n making you feel like your going crazy.

Also, people who are anxious is the way it's actually physically impossible for us to be psychotic. Sounds extreme but that helped me too. I will never be crazy. Not in the psychotic way anyway haha. Crazy people don't think omg I'm going crazy they just are. People like us just don't go there because we are so aware of how we are thinking/feeling all the time.

Rescue remedy helps me a bit as a comfort but not if I let it go too far. I'm also retry worried about the whole thing but I refuse to let it stop me being who I actually am so as terrified as I am I'm going to give it my best shot, and just see what happens I guess.

Sorry for blabbing on haha hope some of it helps x

JonBrave
21-04-16, 22:05
Very, very interesting reading --- thanks to you all for your observations.

All I would say to the OP, MrTense, is that you seem so on top of this flying issue, with all your ideas/self-suggestions, that I cannot imagine you will actually have any problem! Let us know when you get there, without issue, and enjoy :)

Lucinda07
22-04-16, 11:48
You have worked very hard to tackle the anxiety. I would suggest visiting GP to obtain Xanax as something to fall back on. You may not need it, but its a safety net.
Some people take CALMS or Valerian available from chemists.
The very best of luck!:)