PDA

View Full Version : First time poster and so scared

shellbird77
03-04-16, 21:16
Hi everyone. I'm very new o this and don't usually put posts on forums....but I'm desperate. I have recently been diagnosed with anxiety and panic attacks (friday) and have medication. My question, worry is this.....is it normal to panic constantly about everything? I worry with every headache that I'm going to die....I get myself into such a state that my face tingles...my hands tingle...my heart pounds...my throat feels numb.....scared to sleep in case I don't w make up...everything I read or hear about someone being diagnosed with an illness I automatically think I have it.....I know it sounds stupid....but I don't know how I'm supposed to feel....my doc says his bid normal but I feel like this every waking minute and can't relax. Sorry this is a long post.....just don't know what to do. X

venusbluejeans
03-04-16, 21:22
Hiya shellbird77 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

pollynewsome
03-04-16, 21:22
Hi Shellbird i know exactly what you mean.. that was me about 6 months ago.. this site has been so helpful.. so many people in the same boat.. i am currently taking citolapram and it is really helping.. I hope you find your way round the site ok and get lots of support.
Polly x

debs71
03-04-16, 23:01
Hi shellbird....and welcome.:welcome:

Yep, everything you describe sounds entirely normal in terms of anxiety and all the stuff it brings, fears you have....even weird fears that you KNOW are weird, but you still have them!

It sounds like your anxiety and panic is new and at the point of being really frightening for you, and trust me when I say that I and others CAN ALL relate, and have been there too.

Anxiety by nature is scary. It is like normal anxiety but times a million, plus you get lots of weird physical stuff - like the racing heart, the tingling and numbness, the head pains, feeling like your nerves are right on the edge all day long.....but please try to believe that you are not going crazy, will NOT go crazy, and that this is just high anxiety doing it's worst at this point in time.

Presuming that you have or will be starting meds soon, they will (after a bit of time) really calm things down for you, both mentally and physically. This is just the eye of the storm that you need to pass through.

I have had anxiety, depression and panic disorder since 2003, and I totally can understand all the feelings and fears you have. In the very early days after being first diagnosed, I had some really awful feelings and thoughts too, some of which were ridiculous, like I was worried that I was sniffing/coughing too much, that I was becoming schizophrenic, that I would lose control and hurt my family.....just awful, awful stuff, none of which was rational or true, just anxiety driven.

Just because you feel this way now, does NOT mean you will always feel this way. There is a way through this point and ways to deal with anxious feelings and thoughts....but that will come with time.

Lots of us here can relate and can offer help, hon, so keep your chin up! x:hugs: