PDA

View Full Version : Want to Travel! Feel like missing out on Life.

ercro
04-04-16, 03:06
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I just came across this website and it sounds like a great way to communicate.

I am actually from Toronto, Canada. I am 30 and have had anxiety and panic disorder for the last 15 years. The anxiety evolved over the years until the point I had an anxiety attack away on vacation. It was actually just a short 1 hour flight away in New York City. To this day I have not been able to travel. I get the fear of having panic attacks when I am in another country and the fear of being on a plane where I am trapped. It is extremely terrifying. Everyday I think about all the cool places I want to go and how much I am missing out. I always wanted to travel the world in my 20s and now that I am 30 it is really hitting me. The last time I flew over seas was to Europe to play hockey 12 years ago when I Was 18 and I loved it.

I have had different benzos prescribed but I dont find any of them really relax me enough to feel confident to go away. The time that I did go away to NYC and had a panic attack, I took Ativan and it didnt seem to help. I had never taken them before when travelling. They were more like a security blanket but once seeing that they didnt help, I dont have that security now. That has made it harder to travel because if I feel I lose control and I am somewhere I dont know, I do not know how I would calm myself.

I would love to talk to anyone who suffers from anything similar or anyone that has come up with any good strategies.

Also i anyone finds there is any medication that puts them to sleep for a plane ride that a doctor could prescribe I would be interested.

thanks,
E

venusbluejeans
04-04-16, 03:12
Hiya ercro and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

fduop
04-04-16, 15:18
Good morning ercro. I completely understand your situation with traveling. While I been working to overcome my anxiety/panic, I've noticed my agoraphobic tendencies have been popping up more lately.

My best suggestion would to be hook-up with a good therapist/psychiatrist to work on any cognitive and chemical issues. I've been dealing with this myself for 17 years. While I believe meds can help (I take Prozac & Buspar currently), I believe cognitive therapy is important too. In fact at the moment I'm actively seeking a new therapist to work with on my increased agoraphobia.

That's my two-cents worth ercro, the first step is to actively look for ways to make yourself better. This site is a great resource so poke around and see what you find. Best to you!