PDA

View Full Version : Burning, sensitive skin- anxiety?

Busy_Bee
04-04-16, 11:04
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping you can help put my mind at rest and give me some hope, as I'm starting to feel very depressed.

At the end of February I had an MRI scan to have a look for thyroid eye disease (which it turned out I didn't have) and a day or two after I noticed my skin looked mildly 'sunburnt' and stung and went deeply red when I scratched.

This progressed into a deep 'sunburnt' feeling all over my body... burning and deep bruising sensation in the worst places like my back, just like sunburn... even clothing hurt!

I became very feverish and unwell with it and felt so sick (I have been sick too) I lost a lot of weight.

It has been over a month and this symptom has not disappeared. I look less red now, but the skin is super sensitive to touch and it has flared up again in that time. It kind of moves, for a few days it was my head and face really burning, then my back belly and chest... when it flared up again recently I felt feverish again (kind of 'wrong temperature'... hot skin and shivery inside' as well as seriously tired.

I have read that this could be anxiety. I am under a lot of stress, coming up to my finals and worried a lot about the scan and during the scan (it was terrifying). Please can anyone with anxiety relate to this? Will it subside when my stressful period is over or enough time has passed after the scan?

*please- no negative or scary responses, I will plunge into depression and fail my finals. I am here looking for reassurance and hope*

Thank you so much,

Bee

GingerFish
04-04-16, 11:13
It very well could be caused by anxiety and after all the tests you have had done and nothing was found. When I get anxious, there is a bit of skin at my jaw hinge in front of my ear that feels red hot and sunburnt and stingy and I guess maybe its from me clenching my muscles or something but that is one of my first signs of being stressed. My left ear always burns too when I am anxious and goes bright red. You would think I had my head in the oven or something with how bright red and hot it goes but even that is just anxiety.

Anxiety can cause all sorts of skin sensations such as burning, tingling, pin prick feeling, tickly etc.

Josh1234
04-04-16, 15:31
have you had a blood test?

Worried1234
04-04-16, 17:34
Could it be an allergy perhaps? Have you been using any new products like detergent/shower gel etc. Sounds like something has irritated your skin

Xx

Busy_Bee
04-04-16, 21:16
Not an allergy, I haven't changed any products at all. Bloods all came back normal.

Worried1234
04-04-16, 21:41
I think I read somewhere that B12 deficiency can cause a sunburn type feeling-can you ask your doctor if that's possible?

Busy_Bee
05-04-16, 13:11
Thanks, but no it's not a B12 deficiency , my bloods for that have been checked a few times and I'm in the higher end of normal range.

Josh1234
05-04-16, 15:41
You've had an allergy test?

Busy_Bee
05-04-16, 19:30
Thanks for your replies everyone, and sorry if I'm all over the place in answering them I'm new to this forum!

No allergy test, but was given anti-histamines, which would have worked had it been an allergy.

Plus it's been a month now since it started. I am very tense and anxious though and have been for a long time. Really hoping it goes away when I get my exams over, but the trouble is, the symptoms in themselves are making me stressed and anxious! Something we can all relate to!