PDA

View Full Version : Breast dent, now I found a lump. Terrified doesn't even put it into words!

Leslie735
04-04-16, 13:42
I'm sure some of you know my story. Just a quick recap, I found a dent on the side of my right breast going vertically (about 2 inches in length) when I lift my arm back in January. I saw my OB/GYN in the beginning of February and she sent me for a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. Both came back clear. I was relieved for about a week then my fear started creeping back in. Reading around on the BC forums made my anxiety MUCH worse because I read SO much about mammograms/ultrasounds missing stuff. So I went to see a surgeon at the beginning of March. He looked at my tests, did a breast exam and concluded it was due to loose skin from having kids, getting older (I'm 31), etc. I walked out of there with massive relief! That lasted a few days and I started to worry all over again. I knew a lot of it was my anxiety but I just couldn't put it to rest. Anyway, fast forward to Saturday. It was my sons birthday party and we had went to eat out at a restaurant, my anxiety was high over it for some reason so I went into the bathroom to look at it, and I thought the dent looked deeper. Cue radar! So when we got home and everyone left I did a breast exam and I found a lump. I have felt this area numerous of times and have never felt anything that alarmed me. This feels like a longish lump and the end of it has a hard spot like a pea I would say. I cannot tell if its movable or not. It doesn't hurt when I push on it. I'm freaking out!!! I'm sitting here waiting for the surgeons office to open so I can call and make an appointment. Yesterday, I could barely function I am so scared!!! Anyone shed some light? Encouragement? Just a hug? I'm so scared! :scared15: :weep:

Gary A
04-04-16, 14:02
Sounds like an infected duct, possibly caused by you obsessively poking and prodding the area. It's highly unlikely that a cancerous tumour would go from nothing to a noticeable lump in just over a month, especially as there were zero signs of any malignancy in your mammogram.

I understand that finding a lump is never nice, but rationalise, you have been infatuated with poking and prodding for a while now, it's highly likely that you've actually caused a reaction in your breast tissue.

Leslie735
04-04-16, 14:23
Sounds like an infected duct, possibly caused by you obsessively poking and prodding the area. It's highly unlikely that a cancerous tumour would go from nothing to a noticeable lump in just over a month, especially as there were zero signs of any malignancy in your mammogram.

I understand that finding a lump is never nice, but rationalise, you have been infatuated with poking and prodding for a while now, it's highly likely that you've actually caused a reaction in your breast tissue.

Honestly, I look at it a lot but I don't feel it. Maybe once a week I'll feel the area but defiantly not daily. I do look at it a lot though.

countrygirl
04-04-16, 14:59
I have read that most breast cancer takes around 8 years to become visible which did scare me but it seems very unlikely that both mammo and ultrasound would miss a lump that you now can feel such a short time ago.

I know you say you have been looking but I would also guess you have been poking and prodding alot as well. This in itself can inflame tissue and you can get something called fat necrosis from excessive pressure on breast tissue that feels like a hard lump ( I experienced this in a big way after seat belt compression in a car crash). Obviously extreme compression like I had gives massive fat necrosis but at the time I was told that repeated pressure in same area can do it to a degree as well.

So - yes you do need to get this checked out but there are other none life threatening reasons for it as well.

I totally understand your panic and sending massive calming vibes to you whilst you wait.xx

Leslie735
04-04-16, 15:02
Thank you countrygirl for your kind reply. I really do appreciate it. :) I do look at the area, a lot, several times a day really but i haven't felt it too much. About every week or two I'll do a manual exam. Honestly, I've been afraid to find a lump so I avoid feeling the area. But when I looked and saw the dent looking worse I decided to do a good exam and that's when I found it. I'm hoping it was there before and I didn't notice it, which means the tests were right and the surgeon, who did a through exam, felt it was normal. I've never been so terrified in my entire life. :( I'm going Thursday morning to see the surgeon again.

Josh1234
04-04-16, 15:38
you have been checked out for breast cancer - you dont have it. Now please work on your anxiety issues.

Leslie735
03-05-16, 16:20
Thought I'd bump this up for anyone that may be going through something similar and searching. I ended up seeing a surgeon and received a breast MRI last week, got the phone call, came back completely normal! :)