PDA

View Full Version : Viral illness /cough - why cant I accept what dr telling me?!

silver_shoes
04-04-16, 23:13
Hey, so I am having a stupid HA moment :( I got a sort-of cold just before Easter. Not a really bad one; I say "sort of" as it was one of those weird colds where the symptoms don't QUITE come out fully but you still feel really rough.

Anyway, carried on with life as usual, some of you might remember my recent post about my husband having to have a two-week wait scan last week and how anxious I was about that (thankfully it was normal, though his leg is still sore), so I was more thinking about the scan rather than my cold lol. But in the last few days I have developed a really awful cough.. it's the sort of cough where you have a coughing bouts which makes your eyes water and you wretch after the bad coughing bouts. As well as that I feel light headed, exhausted, just really really rubbish :( Been in bed for the last few days as feel so awful. Throat/chest muscles hurt which I think is just due to all the coughing.

Spoke to out of hours GP two nights ago who reassured me over the phone that it was likely just a viral illness and would pass. However I called out of hours back last night as I was getting progressively worse. They gave me an appointment, which I went to at 10pm last night, the GP there examined me, blood pressure, oxygen levels etc, all OK. Listened to my chest and said it sounds clear, when I told him how bad the cough was he gave me a prescription for a Salbutamol (Ventolin) inhaler.

It took me until the early hours of this morning to pluck up the courage to actually use the inhaler (I know I know...) I have anxieties over the potential side effects of any new medications due to the fact that I have had allergic reactions in the past to antibiotics). I used the inhaler eventually because when I woke up this morning, after EVENTUALLY getting to sleep due to the coughing keeping me awake, I had a coughing bout so bad I thought I was going to choke it was so severe :( such a scary feeling.

Felt so unwell (with the general viral illness symptoms as well as the cough) that made an appointment with my own GP today, he said the same thing, that it is horrible but it's viral and will pass. He's one of those slightly unnerving GP's who "thinks out loud" when he is talking to you about the diagnosis, he said to me "Your heart rate is fast and I was wondering whether your heart was making you have this cough but I think it's just beating fast as you're unwell with this virus and have just had a coughing fit" - which I had, a minute earlier (cue me panicking about congestive heart failure at the age of 34 lol) Hubby has worked from home today to look after me and the puppy, I haven't even been downstairs apart from to go to the GP as feel so light headed.

Help... am panicking about lung disease, heart probs lol... thinking that maybe the doctors have missed something when listening to my chest... I hate having HA...

I don't actually get many coughs and colds despite being so overweight and unfit, normally when I get colds they are bad ones which last for a few days and occasionally leave me with an annoying cough but I have NEVER had one as bad as this before... I feel completely wiped out and horrendous. I know it's not flu, as I am still eating - small amounts - and my mum mentioned to me today that she knows there's a lot of things like this going around at the moment.

Scared it's something that they have missed and I am going to choke or something :(

xBettyBoopx
04-04-16, 23:37
Hi there

Have you seen the news etc lately? A lot of viruses are taking a few months to get rid of. I am the same as you with the coughing fits and wretching. I have had this cough now for 4 n half weeks!! You get a fast heart rate when you have an infection/high temperature, it's your body trying to fight off the virus.

You're too young to have lung disease and heart problems but I understand your anxiety coz I'm quite the same and I really should take my own advice :ohmy:

We'll just have to ride it out coz there's nothing else can be done. Did the inhaler help you at all?

I hope you feel better soon (and me!) :blush::weep:

Els