PDA

View Full Version : I'm in so much pain...

ServerError
06-04-16, 13:12
I know I was being positive yesterday but I'm really suffering today. I'm in severe pain. Still can't be certain exactly where it's emanating from. Had my testicles checked the other day and no sign of anything wrong.

I originally thought that was where the pain was coming from. But now I'm not sure. It's like it's in my abdomen or bladder. Or possibly groin. Can also feel it in my leg. Can sometimes feel it more mildly on the left as well as the right.

I know nobody here can diagnose this but does anyone have thoughts? I'm staying away from Google, but staying away from A&E might be harder.

I'd love to believe it was just an anxiety symptom.

Josh1234
06-04-16, 16:41
do you lift weights? have you done any sort of movement that would agitate it?

ServerError
06-04-16, 16:44
Been trying to think. I don't lift. I don't really work out. I think posture may be the issue.

I rang the doctor and spoke to the one who checked me out the other day. She didn't seem concerned and said that anxiety is playing a part. Since then, it's been hurting much less. Make of that what you will.

Josh1234
06-04-16, 16:50
Yeah, I've been having pain issues that Im struggling to connect the dots with. I know anxiety *can* cause some pain, but it seems a bit irresponsible to ignore pain issues and pass them off as anxiety. Pain is the body's way of telling us something is wrong. That something *could* be anxiety in the form of tensed muscles, but it's important to rule out physiological causes.

ServerError
06-04-16, 16:53
Yeah, I think it's the case that my description of what's wrong isn't ringing any alarm bells so she's happy to let me take paracetamol and then see what happens. I dunno, I guess have to trust the doctor.

Fishmanpa
06-04-16, 17:57
I rang the doctor and spoke to the one who checked me out the other day. She didn't seem concerned and said that anxiety is playing a part. Since then, it's been hurting much less. Make of that what you will.

That speaks volumes actually.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
07-04-16, 04:44

We have Primary and Secondary pain. Primary is the actual pain from the issue and Secondary is our interpretation of how it affects us. In someone with an anxiety disorder, Secondary pain can be amplified for the same reasons we struggle with any other symptom. However, not all anxiety sufferers have that problem and not all non anxiety disorder sufferers have a good hold on their Secondary pain either.

So, it's possible it can be amplified (probably a certainty with most HA sufferers) and reassurance can reduce it. But so can distraction or even other pain. One pain lessens another as the old saying goes.

Focussing on pain will mean more amplification BUT that doesn't mean there isn't something to tackle, the question is whether this is just an anxiety symptom or a condition as Josh says. The rest is Secondary pain response and our problem with it. They don't just use CBT to treat mental health disorders, they use it for symptom management in pain disorders and other physical problems and Mindfulness is being applied in the same ways too with success.

Could it be a sprain/strain? Given the location I would think your GP would have considered a hernia. Can you think of any bending, twisting or heavy lifting that could have caused it?

Go see a GP with a bad back and monitoring is probably all you will get because it can be so many things and they just go away. The same with many other pains in the body that appear to be muscular. Your GP monitors to see if it doesn't go away or worsens, and in most people it probably heals on it's own.

ServerError
08-04-16, 16:00
This has been one of the strangest episodes since I became anxious. The pain is still there, and I cannot think of anything I might have done to create an injury of any kind. However, it has eased off, so hopefully whatever it is is going away. I still can't say where exactly it hurts. Sometimes I think my balls are swollen, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I think they're the source, sometimes not. Sometimes I think it's my bladder or related in some way to my bowels and the passing of urine and solid waste. Sometimes I feel a twinge where my kidneys are, but I'm pretty sure I'm doing that to myself. I give up trying to figure this one out. I'll just put up with it until it goes away.

Unfortunately, I've also seen the return of the emotionally flat feeling that scared me so much a few weeks ago. It seemed to be my brain adjusting to the Sertraline, because it went away in the end. I'm wondering if my recent worries over this pain has sent my mind back into defensive mode and blocked my emotions again, or if it's a coincidence and the fact the brand of Sertraline I'm on changed this week, causing another period of adjustment.

In any case, I'm reacting much more calmly this time and haven't been completely robbed of my personality like I was last time.

Pipkin
08-04-16, 16:33
Michael,

If I tried to remember all the places I've had anxiety-related pain over the years, it would be impossible. For me, there's usually a minor cause like excess stomach acid (caused by anxiety) and then the pain runs amok and ends up wandering around. I remember when I started a new job 10 years ago, I had the most excruciating pain in my foot the night before - I'd knocked it when I was out running but the pain was completely out of proportion. The timing was obvious as I was feeling pretty anxious and it soon went. Honestly, our minds are incredibly powerful and can play some horrible tricks on us.

The less you focus on it, the better it will get. Whilst you're preoccupied with the pain, you're sending messages to your brain that something is wrong. This makes you more anxious and notice the pain even more. Try to break the vicious circle by doing something else. I know it's not easy but you'll soon start to feel better.

Good luck

Pip

ServerError
08-04-16, 18:32
Thank you for your thoughts, Pipkin. Everything you say is exactly what I probably would have said to somebody else if they had created this thread. I'm still new to the anxiety game and didn't expect this particular feature. The pain felt very real and very intense. It has eased off considerably now, though. In a way I guess it's good to have had my plums checked out, but this was something I found hard to put down to anxiety. It really set me back, but I'm feeling more and more normal.

I think the slightest thing can trigger a rise in anxious feelings and thoughts. I got a new prescription for Sertraline and Propranalol and my pharmacist gave me brands I'd not had before. Even though it's the exact same medicine, I think it got inside my head. Adapting to Sertraline was very hard for me at first (but worth it). I think I got into a bit of an anxious spiral.