PDA

View Full Version : pin prick spots all over!

claire
06-04-16, 16:37
Hi, I'm currently taking st johns wort and iron tablets due to anemia. I've noticed today I have pin prick spots all over me. Not thousands but I'm sure I haven't 'spotted' them before.
I'm wondering if it could be due to an allergy as I had a reaction to hair dye yesterday and I'm still itchy..I had an antihistamine which helped a bit.
Obviously I can't stop thinking about it and it causes so much anxiety. Does anyone have any experience of this?
thanks

Josh1234
06-04-16, 16:44
yeah, that's an anxiety symptom as well.

claire
06-04-16, 16:45
pin prick spots are a sign of anxiety?

Pastycakes
06-04-16, 23:52
I get pink/red pin prick looking spots sometimes. Almost like a bruise or broken blood vessels under the skin. I also have anemia, pretty severely. Wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Off topic, but I didn't know St. John's Wort helps with anemia? Is that working for you?

claire
07-04-16, 16:05
These spots are just sparsely dotted around my body, but only about 13 in total that I can see. I'm thinking it's a side effect of St Johns Wort as I think it can thin the blood. I might have to take a trip to my pharmacist to check on that!
It could be linked to low platelets.
St Johns Wort doesnt help anemia at all really, if anything it stops iron being absorbed too well as it contains tannins! It's helped with the anxiety that came along when my anemia got worse.
I've seen a few old posts on here from people saying theyve got these spots too and it's completely normal.
I feel embarrassed going to different pharmacists all the time asking them questions but it's the only way I can relax (until the next symptom comes along!)

always something
08-04-16, 01:24
I have tons of them, I think it's capillaries under the skin, are you fair skinned?

Fishmanpa
08-04-16, 01:42
about 13 in total

With respect, you're stressing out about approximately 13 dots on your body? That's a far cry from "pin prick spots all over!"

Positive thoughts

emmalj0
08-04-16, 08:08
Iv got these on my legs, arms and chest. Iv been worried about them also but iv had bloods taken not long ago all was fine so I'm hoping they just normal and lots of people have them

claire
08-04-16, 10:32
Good to hear it's a common thing. Yes you're right, they're not 'all over' at all!
I showed my pharmacist and she said to go to the doctor for a second opinion so I'm off there soon. I almost feel like cancelling now but I will go. I'll probably apologise for being there again.:blush:
I am very fair skinned, yes. Almost translucent! I've never noticed this before though. I'm sure it's a reaction to the St Johns Wort which has really helped so it's a shame I can't take it any more. At least I have CBT starting in 2 weeks time.

helenhoo
08-04-16, 12:02
Any of these slightly raized at all?

claire
08-04-16, 13:43
Hi, no theyre not raised, they're so tiny and under the skin. I'm glad I went to the doctor. It was taken very seriously as they found more on my back which I wasn't aware of. They took some blood and are testing it right now to rule out anything serious.
I've googled a little (trying not to too much!) and I think it's most likely to be HSP which is an allergic reaction to a chemical or food which makes sense. Will keep you informed in case anyone else is worried about the same thing.