PDA

View Full Version : Lyrica side effects, need encouragement please!

Lindy74
06-04-16, 16:42
Hi, I'm on day 5 of Lyrica -- 75 mgs for two days, then 150 mgs/day. I have GAD and panic disorder with agoraphobia. I've tried about a million other medications and am praying this one will work. I also take Lexapro and mirtazipine. I'm having difficulty with Lyrica because of side effects -- lots of dizziness that lasts for many hours, dry mouth, and (brain fog?) that sometimes makes me forget the word I'm trying to say. I'd love to hear from others that have been on Lyrica and had positive results with anxiety reduction, to keep me going through these rough side effects. Also, if you've had side effects, how long did they last?
Thank you,
Lindy

SmilingAlbert
06-04-16, 23:26
Hi Lindy,

Sounds like fairly standard SEs you're having. They do pass after a few days as your body adjusts; just take it easy for the moment, and avoid driving.

The experience of *most* people here is that it is extremely effective for anxiety. Have you felt any improvement on that front as yet? It can work quite quickly for some people. Mirt + Preg is taken by many here (incl. me) and seems to be an effective combo; don't know about Lexapro I'm afraid.

Good luck, and keep in touch here.

Albert

Lindy74
06-04-16, 23:47
Albert, thank you for your comment. I'm really not sure if I'm feeling any less anxiety since starting the Lyrica. That's part of what's making the side effects so frustrating. I'm definitely not driving -- I haven't even been out of the house since I started the Lyrica on Saturday. This is also frustrating, as I try to combat my agoraphobia by going out at least briefly every day.
Lindy

Phill2
07-04-16, 00:52
My wife is on 75mg twice daily for nerve pain.
She's had no side effects whatsoever.

Lindy74
07-04-16, 01:46
Thank you for commenting, Phill. How lucky for your wife to have no side effects. My Dr. wants to increase my dose to 75 mgs three times per day as soon as I stop having such difficult side effects. I'm hoping the increased dose won't cause any/many more side effects.
Lindy

hanshan
07-04-16, 04:53
Hi Lindy,

As you have read above, some people have side effects, others (luckily) have none. Dizziness, brain fog and dry mouth are all very common start-up effects - for most people they go after a week or two.

Also, for some people pregabalin works quickly - for others it can take a couple of weeks, but does eventually kick in.

Do keep going. If all goes well, you will start noticing that the side effects are going down, and so is your anxiety. Good luck with pregabalin.

Lindy74
07-04-16, 16:02
Thank you hanshan. I do want to give the Lyrica the best possible chance of working. I'm wondering, is it ok to increase the dosage to what my doctor is currently recommending while I'm still feeling side effects (especially dizziness)? He's kind of left it up to me as to when to increase from 75 mgs 2 times per day to 75 mgs three times per day. Thoughts, hanshan or anyone else?
Thank you,
Lindy

SmilingAlbert
07-04-16, 21:20
Hi Lindy,

There is some debate about the level of dose the anxiolytic side of Preg. kicks in. 150mg is definitely the minimum level, but 225mg could obviously be more helpful, in theory.

If you're finding it tricky at 150, I would give it a few days. But don't be fearful of going up - you have been prescribed them for a reason, and a door may be opened at the higher level. Some people feel mild euphoria when first on Preg, and that may still be to come for you (don't worry if you do get it - it's great!).

Just take it easy, one day at a time. Be positive, and feel good about the fact though the SEs you're having are tricky, they're nothing compared to, for example, some of the climbing-the-wall agitation rubbish that for many people are part of starting many SSRIs.

Albert

Lindy74
07-04-16, 21:50
Thank you Albert. I'm really hoping that 225 mgs or 300 mgs will finally be helpful for me (my Dr. is aiming for 300 mgs per day eventually). I felt some good periods of (hours?) toward the start of this trial of Lyrica but the last couple days have been almost constant anxiety. Dr. says this is because of habituation to the low dose, and a sign to increase the dosage. I hope that makes sense. I know I'm lucky the side effects aren't worse, but the anxiety itself makes me kind of "climbing-the-walls agitated", like you described in your post. It's really bad :(
Lindy

SmilingAlbert
07-04-16, 22:22
Sorry to hear that. I think your Doc is right, and you should go for the higher dose soon.

Albert

MyNameIsTerry
09-04-16, 06:02
Thank you for commenting, Phill. How lucky for your wife to have no side effects. My Dr. wants to increase my dose to 75 mgs three times per day as soon as I stop having such difficult side effects. I'm hoping the increased dose won't cause any/many more side effects.
Lindy

I was reading in one of the NHS trust's docs about prescribing Preg a few days ago and noticed it stated to offer to dose twice daily because 3x had not shown to be any better.

I was wondering what you regulars think about this, it could be relevant to Lindy and others. I know some taken larger doses later in the day than their earlier doses (or am I remembering that wrong?) and whether it's more trial & error until you get the right "fit" for the individual?

Lindy74
11-04-16, 00:12
Day 9 and not feeling any better, I don't think. I'm now taking 75 mgs Lyrica in the morning and 150 mgs at bedtime ( for the last few days). I'm muddle-headed and somewhat unstable when walking for much of the day. I'm afraid to drive like this. I'm so frustrated and ready for these side effects to be gone. I think the anxiety is less, but I'm not positive, as I haven't had to do much that's challenging. I'm just feeling kind of negative about the whole Lyrica thing right now. Again, encouragement and positive stories would be appreciated,
Lindy

Lindy74
21-04-16, 20:40
Day 20, day 6 at 300 mgs Lyrica and still very anxious most of the day :(. Dizziness has lessened but now I have constipation (sorry if too much information) to go along with very dry mouth and throat. I have no idea whether this is the wrong medication for me or if I'm not taking a high enough dose. Would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone with Lyrica experience,
Lindy