PDA

View Full Version : Even though I'm afraid to share this...

davidthegnome
06-03-07, 17:26
Even though I am afraid to share my story, I feel a strong desire to share it with you folks here. It is long, very long - and not all that pleasant, and you may despise me once I have told it, but I wish to all the same. The people here have really touched my heart in many ways, by being so empathetic and caring for others, despite their own trauma. I would also like to let you know that this post could be disturbing to some. I've never done this before, so please bear with me.

I was thirteen years old when my real trauma began. Oddly enough, for the first time in my life I was actually enjoying school, I even had friends. I had just moved to a smaller town in Stockholm Maine where I could go to a smaller school. Despite how I'd been treated at the larger one earlier, bullied, harassed, usually friendless and alone - I did well at Stockholm school, I made friends, something I wasn't sure I'd ever be good at.

Not meaning to bore you with too many details, just trying to paint a picture, a picture of a thirteen year old boy who for the first time in his life was starting to have confidence in himself. I had friends, I was liked, eventually somehow I even got a date with one of the prettiest girls in town. Don't know how, I was kind of chubby and always a bit nervous. For me, it was a big deal, my first date. In my thirteen year old mind, I felt like I was on top of the world.

Well, to sum up... I discovered rather quickly that this date of mine had only expressed an interest in me in order to get close to one of my friends. When I found out, I was really heartbroken, it shattered my newfound confidence. I was always a very shy, sensitive child and I think it may have effected me worse than it would others.

I stayed at home for days, crying in my bed, I didn't want to go out anymore or see my friends, I just wanted to be alone. My grades dropped, I became less and less friendly as time went on - I became somewhat agoraphobic.

Then I discovered the internet. I began spending every free hour I had on it, playing games, talking to all sorts of new and interesting people who couldn't see me to judge me. Strangely enough, I was well liked in my little internet circle, even by girls. I became obsessed with it, spending more and more time there and avoiding the real world, or going out in public.

One day, as I was feeding my obsession, my sister had to use the computer for her homework. Well, I wouldn't let her. My mother got angry at me and tried to pull me away from the computer - and I shoved her. I had never done that before and never did it again, I don't know why I did, perhaps because she was pulling me away from my obsession.

Well, when my Father came home that night, he was furious. I had never seen him so angry. After dinner my parents told me it was time for a talk. My Father grabbed me by the hair and told me "This intimidation of your Mother is going to stop right now. If you think you can be man of the house boy you go ahead and kick my butt and you've got it." I was terrified. No way was I going to even try, he was my Father.

When he discovered I wasn't going to, he sat back down in his chair and put his head in his hands. He began demanding to know why I was the way I was. Why I avoided school, why I didn't like it, why I had been acting so strange. He decided something must have happened to me, I had been abused, he decided. He slammed his fists down on the table and demanded to know "What happened to you?" Wine glasses shattered as he slammed his hands down again. "What's wrong with you?" Again his fists hit the table, I'm amazed it didn't break.

I told him "Nothing happened to me. Why do you think something must have happened to me?" He responded... "Because this isn't like you! You've been to school councillors and they say there's nothing wrong with you but there is! You're smart, there's no reason you should be doing poorly in school. There's no reason you should be intimidating your mother! Someone must have hurt you to make you this way! What happened to you?" Again, his fists hit the table and he glared at me.

I was afraid of him, I kept repeating that nothing had happened. Yet eventually I became so afraid that I made up a story.

I told my parents that I had been abused by a neighbor of our's, at the old house where we used to live. They accepted the story. Suddenly the anger faded and they sent me to bed, telling me they'd get me help, that I'd be going to see a therapist.

Well, therapy began the next day with a social worker who tried to probe my brain. I was later sent to a Psychiatrist who perscribed zoloft for depression.

I had never hated myself so fiercely. I had never imagined a person could feel such terrible guilt. I knew I had lied, accused an innocent man of doing something he hadn't, I felt sure I would be damned to hell. Somehow I managed to live anyway.. and one day I heard someone say "If you convince yourself that something is true, then for you, it becomes so." I spent weeks lying to myself, telling myself that I had been abused and I wasn't just making up a story. To some degree it even worked - I stopped thinking how much I hated myself and wanted to die. I retreated from the world outside to the internet, where I then spent all of my time. An old packard bell computer, it became my life.

Then came my first day of high school. Back to the world again, back to thinking everyone was judging me, back to seeing the kids in the city I had grown up with. I had no friends - it took me five minutes wandering around in the cafeteria to find someone who would let me sit with them. I felt terrible, I hated it, perhaps I hated them, but most fiercely of all, I hated myself.

I told my parents that if they ever made me go back to school I would end my life. They took me seriously and it was decided that we'd try home school. Something neither my parents nor I were prepared for. So they bought (ironically enough) a computer program that would pretty much do the job itself, only had to be occasionally monitored by my mother.

Naturally, as a young boy, not being supervised, I rarely bothered with it. I spent all of my time playing games or talking to my internet friends. There was no way I was ever going back to school, no way I was ever going to face the world again, I decided.

Well, time went on, eventually I got sick of taking the zoloft I'd been perscribed and threw it away. I told my parents I wasn't crazy and wasn't going to take pills. I was sixteen at the time. I had wasted three years of my life not moving forward, not progressing, not being educated or nurtured as I wish I had been.

I became tired of spending my time on the internet, tired of staring at a computer monitor (finally, I suppose) and stopped. My new obsession became reading. I would read fantasy books, the same ones, over and over and over again - so as to avoid thinking or facing the dreadful world, to avoid my overpowering self hatred and repressed guilt.

Then one night, my older sister invited me to a party. I had never been to a typical "teen party", I had no idea what to expect, I was afraid of going there, thinking no one really liked me anyway. I went though, because there was a boy there who had hurt my sister's feelings and I wanted (as any younger Brother would) to kick his butt.

Well, instead of kicking anyone's butt, I made a grand discovery. Marijuana and beer, were good, so I thought as I drank and smoked myself into a stupor. After my seventh beer or so, my sister tackled me and had a friend take us home, I was extremely drunk, perhaps dangerously so.

Suddenly, a fierce thought hit me, the thought that my life was a lie. That everything I did was to hide from the truth, it was a thought I could not shake. I discovered, once again, what a terrible, rotten liar I was and how much I hated myself. I suddenly wanted to tell everyone the truth, yet was terrified that if I did they would hate me. Then I became afraid that I'd tell the whole story because I was drunk.... then, I got home, puked up everything I'd eaten for a year, and passed out on the couch.

The next morning, when I woke, my very first panic attack hit me. I had no idea what was going on, but I was suddenly terrified, I was convinced I had lost my mind, that I had finally gone insane. Again, I tried hiding from the world - but all of a sudden I couldn't read anymore. I could not focus on the pages or the words. This scared me even more and I began spending all of my time lying on the couch in the living room and trying to watch movies. For months I did this and little else.

One day my Father became determined to get me up. He ordered me outside to help him rake the yard. I struggled, but he can be very intimidating when he wants to be, he got me up and out to help him. As we worked, he talked, telling me about how when he was in college his Doctor had told him he had "accute anxiety" which was similar to what I was going through. He said I wasn't crazy.

Somehow, that worked. It was what I had needed to calm me down. Over the next few months I went back to school, to Jobcorps where I earned a GED. I still spent lots of time on the internet and through it I found a girlfriend. Well - a woman who was as shy and as desperate for affection as I was.

After my Jobcorps graduation, my Father helped me to get her up here. She moved all the way from South Dakota to be with me in Maine. Yet, she did not come alone, no, this lovely lady had a four year old daughter. And me, seventeen at the time, an absolute fool, I believed I could be a father to her.

Well, I did try, I worked terrible and low paying jobs, washing dishes for restaraunts, telemarketing, taking care of yards. Yet always my self hatred and fear of others got the better of me, I could never hold on to a job. Eventually it became my job to stay at home and raise her girl while she worked. She was 23, I believe, at the time. She had some college education and worked at the hospital as a medical transcriptionist.

So we struggled on, I did the best I could to raise a troubled little girl who didn't like me very much. She had some severe behavioral issues and said really nasty things, broke things, punched people and so on. Yet I felt I could teach her better and control her. Boy was I dumb.

I was "Mr Mom" for a while, I did all of the laundry, all of the cooking (wasn't very good at that), all of the cleaning and so on. Eventually I became so miserable with my life, so miserable at my failure to be a Father for the girl that I decided they'd be better off without me. I told her I was going back home to live with my parents. Little did I know... a surprise awaited me.

I found out in the next week that my girlfriend was pregnant - that changed everything for me. Here was a chance I had to make amends for being a terrible human being. If I could marry her - could make a family work, maybe my life would be worth something despite how terrible I was. We got back together and I proposed at a crowded restaraunt. I remember it like it was yesterday...

I chose the restaraunt because it would be full and I was a very nervous person, therefor I felt it would mean a lot to her. I got down on my knees and in my hand held out an engagement ring (that it shames me to admit, my father helped me to buy) and I asked her to be my wife. She told me "But you don't have a ring." Guess she didn't see it? When I held it up, she beamed and cried and said yes. The others in the restaraunt didn't seem to notice or care, but for me it was a grand moment.

I will try to be as brief as I can with the rest of my story.

We struggled on for two more years to raise her little girl and my young son. I loved him very much, he was the reason I woke in the morning to face each new day. I was unable to hold on to a job or go to college, so instead I focused on being a Father - but the past came back to haunt me. When I was nineteen, I finally found a really good job. It was great pay for a man as young as me - and it was working for a company that makes tax forms. My co-workers were kind. Everything should have been great.

Yet every day I worked I became more and more anxious and finally started having panic attacks. I could not cope with them, I gave up on my job and cowered through the next few weeks, struggling just to do every day things, not knowing what was wrong with me. Finally, one day I was so frustrated I decided to go back through my entire life and search every memory.

As I did so, I recalled the awful lie I had told, I recalled how much I hated myself - and had a powerful desire to end my life. I knew then that I needed help. Finally I confessed the truth to my family - and after many nights of tears and painful confessions, after my little sister started to hate me, I was admitted to a psych ward because I tried to end my life.

Well... over time I did recover and somehow manage to live with myself again, my engagement had ended. I could not expect my fiance to live with me, not like that, nor could I expect myself to be able to be a decent Father. I decided it was best if they went back to South Dakota, to her family.

Later I tried to make it work again with her, by going to South Dakota to be with them, yet I was only able to manage it for a year. She and I discovered we didn't love each other and didn't really want to be together.

I went back home to Maine, to fix my life, get a job, get my own home... somehow face and overcome my inner demons. And... here I am at 22, still struggling, still unable to do many of the things I so wish I could do. Diagnosed now, for the first time accurately with panic disorder, post traumatic stress and God knows what else, I think I am slowly beginning to understand myself better.

It has been all of you people here that have helped me, through sharing your own pains and joys, your own triumphs and sorrows, you have helped me to realize what I have suffered with all these years. You have helped me to understand it. I am eternally grateful for you all and that I discovered this forum. It may be the thing that ultimately saves me from myself. At last now I begin to understand that question I was asked so long ago... "what is wrong with you!?"

This is my story. I hope you do not despise me after reading it. Anyone who did read has my thanks, it was very long... I just had the strongest compulsion to tell it, so now I have.

I am proud to be a member of nomorepanic, I am honored to share it with you wonderful, strong, courageous people who struggle every day with pain that is so little understood. Your triumphs are my triumphs, your sorrows, my sorrows.

And... that's all. Thank you for reading my story.

God bless you all,

David

Piglet
06-03-07, 17:59
Gosh David to have experienced all that and still only be 22 is amazing - you write with a maturity way beyond your years hun.

I think you are very good at self regulating your own self. You sorted out the wrong you did and have tried to make a good fist of things where you could.

Today is a fresh day and there is a big world out that that you are very much part of - you have discovered more about yourself in your 22 years than others take a lifetime to do!

I don't despise you at all (let he who be without sin cast the first stone etc).

I wish you well :D

Piglet :flowers:

skylight2007
06-03-07, 18:30
:hugs: David, do I think any less of you, No way!!! your life has been one hell of a learning journey, and you have struggled to understand who you are!!!! It is never ever easy to share such personal feelings about oneself because we never know how others are going to percieve us, sometimes David it takes just one person to open their heart and confess if you like whats really hidden beneath our anxietites and panic , almost like given others permission to say, 'its ok to be me' warts and all.
I truely believe that when we take that risk, as you have done here, you are letting go and moving on in your own way. You have maybe without realising so, empowered yourself to be true to yourself, and that is a very hard thing to do, is share your personal feelings and story with us here. I want you to know, that I appreciate how hard this was for you, and I thank you for your courage and strength to do so. I sincerely wish you well on the rest of your journey,

skylight

Rain
06-03-07, 18:52
Thankyou for having the courage to share your story with us David. I'm sure everyone who reads it will be as moved as I am. Stay strong.
Rain

hunny_as
06-03-07, 19:19
david well done done for telling us your story. may be you can let go of some of your parsed now and look forward to your future

i admir you for tell your family the truth its hard thing to do once a lie has been told well done hun!

hugs well done david

amanda xx

QueenVictoria
06-03-07, 19:27
aww im sorry, but its very brave of you to tell it. no one could hate you for doing that

davidthegnome
06-03-07, 19:51
Thank you all for reading (I know it was a lot to read) and for your kind words. I've been carrying this stuff around for a long time, now I feel like the burden is a little easier. I really didn't expect such kindness and am really touched. Maybe I'm not as terrible as I feared I was.

Kind of speechless. Thank you all, God bless you all.

David

normalwisdom
06-03-07, 19:55
Oh David you are not terrible at all...it took a lot of courage to do what you did and telling your story has obviously helped you.

You take care and hope things get better for you.:D :yesyes:

liss
06-03-07, 21:03
hey david
everyone is human and nobody is perfect
take care

traciec39
06-03-07, 21:50
hey david

you are a very sweet sensitive person and never loose the belief in yourself.
We all make errors in our lives but it makes us better people in the end.

keep smiling honey!!!!!
luv tracie xxx

kazzie
06-03-07, 23:43
Hi David

You are so young and an inspiration to us all!!!

I have been a member for nearly a year but still havent shared what brought me here to begin with!!!

For what it is worth my life was a major mess till i was 37 but you sound like you have it sorted!!!

Onward and upward mate:hugs:

Luv Kaz x x :)

ade
07-03-07, 08:00
you brave brave man,understand that you were young and under pressure to explain yourself,many others would have yielded and invented a reason for the problems,ok it was a lie,but forgive yourself friend and move on to a happy life a life you deserve,i feel only compassion and respect for you
kindest regards ade:)

Freaky Chick
07-03-07, 08:30
Well done for sharing.

It is hard to tell the story, but I certainly don't think any less of you.

What you have been through is tough, but telling your story has helped, that's good. You will get through this in time.

love and hugs freaky chick

honeybee
07-03-07, 10:46
wow. as piglet said, you wrote that with such maturity, i was expecting you to be so much older... well done... i cant see why you hate yourself so much... you were a scared child with no confidence, you had someone you looked up to telling you there was something wrong with you and instead of feeling like they didnt understand you said something that you thought would stop all that... you made a mistake but you've made it right. have you been for councilling it might help you to see that that person who told the lie was a scared little boy rather than the person you are now. you really need to forgive yourself before you can move on. i dont know if you still smoke or not but as you probably know already its probably the last thing you need. i really hope you get through this. my little brother and sisters dad spent his life thinking he was worthless. december 26th 2005 he ended his life thinking the world was better off without him. he was so wrong. you've had a lot to deal with but you're still young, if you can find the strenghth in you to forgive yourself you can move on from this. i know people who've felt the same way about themselves and have got throiugh it and had a lovely life. you can too. sending you all the love in the world. xx

Nibbles
07-03-07, 11:31
What a moving story Dave. I don't think any less of you, in fact I think more of you. We all make mistakes but you have tried to put yours right. To tackle all that responsibility at such a young age is really inspiring. You have so much inner courage and strength and I'm glad you're feeling better for sharing your thoughts.

Take care bud, :hugs:

PS With such a gift for writing I can see why you eventually want to write a help book and I'm sure it will be a great success.

Under~The~Stars
07-03-07, 14:05
Hi David,

Your story really touched my heart. From reading it, it has shown me that you have so much inner strength and courage. You have been through so much, and are still so young. You are still here to tell your story - that is an achievement within itself.

You truly are an inspiration to us all David. I have so much respect for you after reading that.

I spoke to you in chat last night, but hadn't read this - only read this this morning, so hopefully will see you in chat again soon! :)

Well done for having the strength to speak out like you have. You are a very brave man.

You will have learned so much about yourself, over the time that all of this has happened. I know I've learnt loads about myself!

It's tough having to go through what we go through, but it makes us stronger people.

I have met so many amazing people here in this site.

David you can't change the past, however you have done so well in accepting a lot, and learning a lot. You can change the future. :hugs:Never forget that.

(((((BIG HUG)))))

Wendie j
07-03-07, 14:43
Dear David

it must have taken a great deal to share your life with us,i hope it has lightened the burden abit by doing it.I think you are very brave and i hope you get all the support you need from this site.

Wendie j :hugs:

carldourish
08-03-07, 20:45
Hi David,

Well done. The road to recovery is often started once you acknowledge the road of your life. However you do have the choice to which junction you decide to take from now on my friend. Hope you take the road to new discoveries and joy's in your life.

Take care

Carl

myself
12-03-07, 20:53
David.
regreatably I cannot follow long postings due to concentration issues of ptsd, but got the gist of your message, and thought of the following quotation I read today in a book:

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step" .... wise words from someone called Lao-tze in the year 550BC.

I hope your posting is your first step on the long road to health.
Myself

LadyBug
13-03-07, 17:59
We all make mistakes in our life....the magnitude of them depends on whose judging them. I am so proud of you for telling your story. I can only imagine how good you feel to get it off of your chest. I inherited my GAD from a mom with panic disorder and a dad with social anxiety disorder, so getting things off my chest has always been encouraged. My mom and my dad are doing great! Have been for years, and i expect to be doing great soon as well! I think no less of you.....situations in life get us to who we are today...take out one good or bad thing and you have a total new you and a total new life...and one that might not be so great! You have become a great friend and encourager to me on here! (esp since you are the only one who seems to be taking the same med as me :) ) Keep on keeping on dude!!

groovygranny
13-03-07, 21:42
Courageous, Determined, Selfless, Humble.......and Inspired.

David you are all of these and I have the utmost respect and admiration for you.

lotsa luv :hugs:

GG :emot-dance:

xxx

Kathleen
28-04-07, 10:17
Wow David..
Your post really touched my heart. I wish I could hug you and tell you it is okay. You are a brave man. So many of us carry around a ton of baggage and only a select few ever hear it. You have laid it all out on the table and taken a huge risk. You know what? I don't think anyone feels any less of you. I wish we could all share with each other in person like this. You are only 5 years older than my son, and I would forgive him anything. Your situation is a given. It just spiraled out of control but you as a 13 yr old would have had no idea of the repercussions.
Good for you David. I am proud of you and I don't even know you but now I know your story.

By the way - you could be a writer. You write very well.
Kathleen

up a ladder
13-05-07, 08:55
I can't see you were to blame for any of the issues.
Everything you did was done under pressure from others. I think the pressure from others was more a complete misunderstanding rather than malicious.
You did the best you could, you made some very tough decisions and you got through all of that.
You also have a very positive attitude looking forward.

Best of luck.

kilvosa
13-05-07, 12:58
Hi David
Youre sp brave to tell your story i was very moved by it and dont think any less of you at all. You take care
Anne xx

kimmiepie
23-06-07, 08:20
Hi David. (I'm in the US too!! :yesyes: )

I had a life very similar to yours from about the age of 12 to 24. I'm 26 now. Most people have no idea how I survived so much drama and have been through so much at such a young age.

It can really wear on you, I know.

No one is going to think any less of you. Thank you for sharing your story. I bet it felt good to get it off your chest.

:hugs: