PDA

View Full Version : Suspicious e-mail

sophiethestar
07-04-16, 15:28
I'm not sure if I should be posting this here as it's not directly anxiety related, but it causing my anxiety to worsen and I feel like some answers from you guys may help. Here goes...

I received an e-mail from hperry@mclaughlin.org.uk, saying that I owe money and am in debt. I have never owed money and never borrow money. He said he is acting on behalf of a company called Alfa Laval Ltd. (which is real as I've just researched it). I suspect this is a scam as there is a link to follow for the invoice, which I am not following as it looks suspicious. However, the thing that worries me is he said he has sent a copy of the invoice to my address (he has included my old address on the e-mail). How did he get this information? I have copied the e-mail below, removing my full name, the dodgy link and my old address. I have research the sender but can't find a lot of information. What do you all think?

E-mail copied below:

Dear Sophie __________,

Regarding the amount due 447.64 GBP, we act on behalf of Alfa Laval Ltd in order to collect the outstanding account value of your debt.

We would like to remind you that the amount above was due for payment on 27.03.16 but as no payment has been received, your invoice is now considered as overdue. Please find a printable version of your invoice at the following link:

Original invoice will be sent out to:

In order to avoid further costs, please forward the payment to us and transfer the amount due not later than 15.04.16

Yours truly,
Henry Perry

Fishmanpa
07-04-16, 16:01
Scam email.... Personally, I love messing with scammers. Hey, at least he wasn't from Nigeria ;)

Positive thoughts

Lucinda07
07-04-16, 19:17
This man may have obtained your name & address from the electoral roll details on 192.com.
Ignore it, its a scam. Who uses the expression "Yours truly" these days anyway!

Chocolateface
07-04-16, 19:17
Hi

I got a similar one from what appears to be a solar panel company telling me I owed money for an invoice from a company that sells aircraft parts.

It is a scam don't follow any links and don't pay them a penny.

Clare

Buster70
07-04-16, 20:48
Scammer , yours truly stood out to me as well nobody puts truly unless they are lieing of course , when I deal with people and they say "to tell you the truth " I automatically think liar , just delete it , take care

23fish
07-04-16, 23:03
You can report it as spam.
Have you thought about changing your email address (if it has your name in)? Mine doesn't have my name so if someone sends a spam email I can tell, because they address it to my email 'name'.

Fishmanpa
07-04-16, 23:54
Again... I love messing with the scammers. Give them false information etc.

When they ask for my info I give them the name "Sgt. A. Hugh Jayniss" and I put the info of the Intercourse Pennsylvania Police Department ~lol~

Can you imagine them getting a call asking to speak with "Sgt. A. Hugh Jayniss"? ~lol~

One scammer went as far as to send me a pic of a VISA card with the name "A. Hugh Jayniss" on it to show me how legit the offer was :roflmao:

Positive thoughts

mike83
08-04-16, 12:50
Mum just said she was listening to the radio and they were talking about this very scam, they said the link at the end will freeze your computer with malware and they won't release it until you pay them money (probably no guarantee then even)

They said they probably got your address from one of the many public website hacks of big businesses (someone mentioned possibly eBay?)

summer82
08-04-16, 13:31
It's 100% a scam. Don't worry, just mark as junk and block :)

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

Mum just said she was listening to the radio and they were talking about this very scam, they said the link at the end will freeze your computer with malware and they won't release it until you pay them money (probably no guarantee then even)

They said they probably got your address from one of the many public website hacks of big businesses (someone mentioned possibly eBay?)

If anyone ever has this happen, switch your comp on in safemode and go back to an earlier restore point. If that doesn't work (nastier stuff like the one mentioned by mike83, might not), then factory reset. You'll lose any unsaved data, but it'll wipe the virus. If anyone needs details or help with this, just message me.

Pipkin
08-04-16, 17:41
I read this and I think it is what you received. A dangerous scam and it's a good job that you didn't follow the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35996408

Pip X

MyNameIsTerry
09-04-16, 04:45
It's 100% a scam. Don't worry, just mark as junk and block :)

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

If anyone ever has this happen, switch your comp on in safemode and go back to an earlier restore point. If that doesn't work (nastier stuff like the one mentioned by mike83, might not), then factory reset. You'll lose any unsaved data, but it'll wipe the virus. If anyone needs details or help with this, just message me.

Or even going as far as formatting and re-installing perhaps?

Those annoying ones that trap your browser window are a pain too. You close the program but have to be damn quick when you open it again or the same window will be the last one and cause it again.