PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm new

Spaz0r
06-03-07, 21:15
I'm a 22 male and panic attacks are really getting to me.

I had my first one about a year ago when i was dropping out of university. I was hungover and I started to feel panicky and strange.

I only get these attacks when I'm hungover, so I am really lucky compared to some of the people I've read about on here.

The problem is I really like a drink. I drink too much and am aware of it so stopping drinking will be a good thing, but I find stopping so hard. As others have said when I'm out with my friends I want to join in and have a laugh, but the next day (the night in particular) is just terrible. I'm having one of those nights now, argh, panic attack after panic attack, this feeling of anxiety that won't go away. I worry about going mad, heart races, have difficulty breathing, all of the normal symptoms.

I feel quite bad about talking about it here as I know there are others that have it much worse than me, but still panic attacks are horrid and reading other peoples experiences has helped me. Anyway I thought I'd introduce myself and say thank you to others who have shared!

liss
06-03-07, 21:27
hey
have a look on here for some breathing exercises on here there prob is some i find them helpful to calm me down if im really panicky for a continuous amount of time
hope this helps and that you find the site help ful
take care
liss

groovygranny
06-03-07, 21:35
Hello there and :welcome: you've certainly come to the right place!!

I too am a lover of the odd glass of wine or six and I know too well the effects of having more than I know I can cope with. If I have over my limit I know for sure that the blackness will come and do its worst before it finally goes - and bigger fool me if I do.

Before I had PA's I could drink quite a bit with no ill-effects, but now my limit is way below what it used to be. And yes, it's not a bad thing. The only way around it is to cut down, gradually, until you find the amount you can drink without having the after effects.

You can do it you know!

lotsa luv

GG :emot-dance:

xx

sorry about the Underlining - can't seem to shift it! :wacko:

Spaz0r
06-03-07, 21:57
Hi GG and Liss, thanks for your replies!

PAs are so annoying and frightening! I wish I could be normal like all my mates, but it's reassuring to see that there are others out there who have the same problems.

Liss you're right about the breathing techniques they do help a lot!

I'm slowly realising I'm going to have to change my lifestyle if I want to be free of PAs. I used to like a cup or two of coffee on a Sunday morning but can't have that now as that tends to set off my PAs as well as alcohol. I use alcohol - as a lot of poeple do - as a way to relax and make starting conversations with new people a little easier. I guess I'm just going to have to find new ways for both of those things!

Why can't I just be normal!

Thanks for the replies!

yorkylover
06-03-07, 23:27
Hi Spaz and welcome.you need to change your life style pet:yesyes:
I understand you may use drink to help with confidence,my brother used to be the same.He is now an alcoholic.Dont let it get that far.Theres nothing wrong with having a drink,but its not good to drink for confidence,and to start conversations,because sooner or later you will need it for alot more things.You have realised its a problem which is good:) .
I stopped having coffee and tea two years ago,and I still get anxious and panic attacks,but I did find drink made them worse.:hugs:

manmoor
07-03-07, 00:05
Hi Spaz,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

skylight2007
07-03-07, 09:16
Hiya there spaz, how are you today? yep panic attacks are awful, but theirs is lots for you to read here, and your experience is just as important as the rest, so dont undervalue your feelings!!! their important, and you will get lots of support here!!! take care of you , skylight

DELLA LOUISE
07-03-07, 10:12
Hi groovygranny, (thats me too by the way!) I can also say like you, I used to enjoy the odd glass of wine or 6, but can no longer indulge because of the PA's, the racing heart, pounding and skippy heart and hyperventilating, mostly at night time. I have learnt that my wine limit ,which is now very low, is OK to live with, the PA's are not. I also have limited strong coffee, I find that weak coffee and green tea is fine. spaz0r, things will get better for you, all you have to do in the end is choose...good luck and love, della

nomorepanic
07-03-07, 13:08
Hi S

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

kittykat
07-03-07, 13:10
Hi There,

A BIG :welcome: to the site.

Take care

shirley xx

pinktinkerbell
07-03-07, 20:28
hi a big warm welcome to you theres lots of friendly faces here to support you so i hope you find this site usefull!
take care
ami xx

Pink Princess
10-03-07, 15:54
hey welcome to the site, hope you settle in and make friends and get the right support.
take kare x x x

trac67
14-03-07, 12:03
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends,

Take care

Trac xx

wobily_lin
15-03-07, 08:15
Elo,
Welcome to the site. great support n advice here. glad to have ye on board x

Lindalou64
16-03-07, 21:26
HI SPAZ,
MY FIRST FULL BLOWN PANIC ATTACK WAS ALSO FROM A BAD HANGOVER OF DRINKING AND DRUGGING NOT GOOD....BUT I CONTINUED TO DRINK FOR A FEW YRS AND FINALLY STOPPED ......I STILL GO THRU ANXIETY BUT NOT LIKE I DID BACK IN THE DAY ...WISH YA THE BEST........LINDA