PDA

View Full Version : Fluid in ear-terrified

elodrumm
08-04-16, 10:09
Hi everyone

I am hoping someone can calm me down. Ive been having vague dizziness for the last few weeks and recently when I've been in supermarkets I get really dizzy and panicked. I went to the doc a few days ago and she said I have an ear infection with fluid in my ear. She gave me antibiotics. From stuff I've read online this seems impossible to get rid of and now I'm terrified I'm going to have this dizzy sensation for the rest of my life. Im so panicked I just wish it would go away. Has anyone had fluid in the ear that cleared up completely? I really really need to hear something positive I so freaked out after googling it :(
Thanks for reading.

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 ----------

Please there must be someone that has had this before :( I am absolutely petrified I'm going to get vertigo it's one of my biggest fears. I just feel like crying

.Poppy.
08-04-16, 11:29
Pretty much all ear infections involve fluid behind the ear drum. What essentially happens is for some reason your Eustacian tube doesn't regulate air properly, so pressure builds up and your ear drum gets sucked tight due to pressure....things dry up, your ear secretes fluids to try to solve the problem, that fluid becomes infected and voila! Ear infection. I'm no doctor but this is what I recall from the audiology course I had to take.

Try to relax and give the antibiotics time to work. Don't listen to Internet stories or google - it's hard not to but they are just regular people assuming they know something when they don't have all the facts.

countrygirl
08-04-16, 15:20
wonderful post from Poppy.

Its incredibly common to have goo in your eustacian tube as well making your ears sound like jumped on crisp packet when you blow your nose without having any infection.

I have vertigo attacks from damage to my neck and yes they are horrible - the worst symptom that I have from this so understand how you feel but once your infection is cleared all should be well.

elodrumm
08-04-16, 17:23
Thank you both for your replies. I'm just panicked because inner ear problems are something I always worried about & now I have an infection I freaked. I just hate being dizzy. It really gets me down. Hopefully the antibiotics will work for me.

countrygirl
08-04-16, 18:05
Vertigo the true spinning room and you have to hold onto the floor feeling is the worst symptom I have with my neck damage. IT triggers huge adrenalin rush with me and gives me a hugely racing heart and a need for the loo!!! Not what you want when the room is spinning:D

I am sure that once your infection is cleared your symptoms will go as well.

help me 21
08-04-16, 22:39
Iv had this it cleared up with meds! Don't worry I have it often

Traceypo
08-04-16, 22:41
I've had ear problems for years, as mad as it sounds, you do adjust, I'm not saying this will happen to you, there is a very high chance it will clear up with medication without coming back, but if it does come back, each time I feel more prepared as I know what to expect.
Xx

elodrumm
09-04-16, 13:26
Thank you all for being so kind and reassuring. I am trying to not be such a baby today haha and just believe that the drugs will work. Dizziness is just something I could never deal with. I would rather have any other symptoms. My dizziness is more of a lightheadedness/unbalanced feeling so hopefully it's not vertigo? Also does anyone have any other suggestions to relieve the blocked ears feeling? I'm taking sudafed.
Thanks everyone x

Traceypo
09-04-16, 13:38
I usually need oral antibiotics, I always feel like I'm walking over a bouncy castle, ibuprofen is good if you can take them as it helps with inflammation and my Dr gives me antisickness meds.
Xxx

claire
09-04-16, 17:42
Hello, I've had recurring ear infections and labyrinthitis for a while and I know how awful it is to feel dizzy. It triggered all kinds of anxiety for me. BUT, it can be solved. I had 'stemetil' which stops dizziness and nausea. It's also good for anxiety so it was pretty much a wonder drug for me. It's definitely not impossible to get rid of. It's easily solved. For some it can last a long time but for others it's gone in a week. It definitely doesn't mean a lifetime of vertigo. Dont worry!