PDA

View Full Version : ASMR to relax you and help you sleep

summer82
08-04-16, 14:06
I thought I'd start a thread about ASMR as it's been extremely useful for me when I'm anxious or can't sleep.

ASMR stands for Autonomous sensory meridian response which is a euphoric experience characterized by a tingling sensation on the skin that typically begins on the scalp and moves down the back of the neck and upper spine, making you feel very relaxed and sleepy. It's usually triggered by whispering, certain sounds or visually when watching someone do certain movements. For me, it's watching people have their hair brushed (don't ask me why, I have no idea lol) If you've ever noticed a relaxing sensation when hearing or seeing certain things then you are probably capable of ASMR.

I've had people ask me to try an explain the tingly sensation and the best way I know how is to ask them if they liked having their back or arm tickled when they were kids, if the answer is yes, then it feels like that. Someone told me it also feels like the sensation you get when you use one of those head scratchers.

Youtube has lots of these videos. If you think you could benefit from them, just type in ASMR followed by something you think may trigger the relaxing sensation, for e.g ASMR rain sounds or ASMR back tickling ect.. and you'll find lots of videos. Get comfortable, pop in some headphones and see if it helps you.

If you do not experience ASMR you will be staring at a screen watching a woman tap on a book wondering what the hell is going on lol

I found this a couple of years ago and it's been more helpful to my ability to relax and go to sleep than any drug I've been given over the years, so I wanted to share this in case it could help anyone else :) good luck.

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 13:57 ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoNWLyNbFaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmiSCjjLFQQ&nohtml5=False

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1GiRBZQbPw&nohtml5=False

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lasWefVUCsI&nohtml5=False

Here are some examples to get you started.

Chocolate Chin
08-04-16, 17:27
I listen to that exact same rain video, I pop my feet on my desk and lean back and chill.

But those others.. what magic is this... felt like someone was goosing me on my neck and head, made me shiver, lol.

Although, the hair brushing one, once forced into mono (considering how follically challenged I am), was quite relaxing.

summer82
08-04-16, 17:39
I listen to that exact same rain video, I pop my feet on my desk and lean back and chill.

But those others.. what magic is this... felt like someone was goosing me on my neck and head, made me shiver, lol.

Although, the hair brushing one, once forced into mono (considering how follically challenged I am), was quite relaxing.

lol it's mad isn't it. Wait till it's late and you're kinda tired. Honestly it's better than sleeping pills. It just KO's you.

Chocolate Chin
08-04-16, 17:40
I shall try it later before bed. If I have nightmares and/or soil myself, I'll be back to complain! :D

summer82
08-04-16, 17:46
I shall try it later before bed. If I have nightmares and/or soil myself, I'll be back to complain! :D

If you do, I'll send you some adult dipers lol

KatiePink
08-04-16, 18:10
These work for me too - i came across them by accident and thought what the hell is this?! and that's when i started to get the feeling and felt so sleepy!
I watch them regularly when i am lay in bed and they really make me drop off i;ve fell asleep numerous times with the phone in my hand :blush:

Chocolate Chin
08-04-16, 18:31
Do you find the screen keeps you awake or do you use some kind of blue filter app?

summer82
08-04-16, 18:35
Same thing with me, katie lol

I just dim my screen down to the lowest level and that's fine for me, but if you find it too bright still, use whatever you want to get the brightness level you find kindest to the eye :D

YareYareDaze
08-04-16, 20:27
Oooooo, I love ASMR. My favorite is listening to eating sounds. For some reason, I love to hear people chew and smack their lips. uvu

KatiePink
08-04-16, 20:30
Mine is the hair, or eye exam with the lights :D I like..

Gentlewhispering, ASMRrequests, Fairychar, Cutebunny

Chocolate Chin
08-04-16, 21:36
Those nails scratching and tapping, I keep expecting a horror movie jump scare.

KatiePink
08-04-16, 21:47
I really like role play ones, some of them are useful too. I think to get what you're supposed to from the video's you have to let yourself go completely, don't think about 'What's going on here' Just believe it and go with it, some of them have much better sound quality which really makes a difference. I like this channel, it depends what works for you i.e tapping, scratching, hair play, typing sounds, face touching, whispers ect

Treating your migraine(roleplay) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm30cS8ZnBk

summer82
09-04-16, 03:34
Me personally, I can't get on with the roleplay ones (which is a darn shame because there are so many to choose from) I really love anything where there's hairplay, back tickling or really gentle stroking of stuff like fabric or feather dusters. I get major asmr tingles, but I'm still shaking my head even as I write this hahaha

MyNameIsTerry
09-04-16, 04:42
Me personally, I can't get on with the roleplay ones (which is a darn shame because there are so many to choose from) I really love anything where there's hairplay, back tickling or really gentle stroking of stuff like fabric or feather dusters. I get major asmr tingles, but I'm still shaking my head even as I write this hahaha

This is sounding more burlesque by the post...:whiplash:

Very interesting though, never heard of it before.

summer82
09-04-16, 17:42
This is sounding more burlesque by the post...:whiplash:

Very interesting though, never heard of it before.

I'm afraid it's not nearly as exciting as burlesque. However you could probably find an ASMR roleplay for that if you looked hard enough lol

Mojo61
09-04-16, 20:22
Every time I listen to rain sounds I can't help but think of a pan of sausages frying! It's ruined it for me lol!

summer82
11-04-16, 14:16
aww no, that's all I was thinking when I listened to it last night :O hahaha