PDA

View Full Version : What is the dosage for anxiety?

dukdevil
08-04-16, 15:32
I'm currently on 75mg X 3 I'm upping my dose to 100 X 3 tomorrow. What is the usual dose for anxiety? Do I need to go higher again? Thanks I'd appreciate any replies...x

Arran7225
08-04-16, 16:45
I started on 2x 75mg yesterday and can feel a difference already. I'm also nearly seven weeks in on 100mg sertaline

Phill2
09-04-16, 02:20
I started on 2x 75mg yesterday and can feel a difference already. I'm also nearly seven weeks in on 100mg sertaline

I'd say it's more the Sert that you're feeling more than the Lyrica
From my experience Sert takes about 6 weeks to kick in properly

Arran7225
09-04-16, 11:12
Oh really? Maybe I should stop the lyrica and find out :yesyes:

dukdevil
09-04-16, 12:12
Well I had to stop taking it I had a very bad experience last night.

Phill2
10-04-16, 01:04
Oh really? Maybe I should stop the lyrica and find out :yesyes:

I wouldn't do anything without consulting your Dr first

hanshan
10-04-16, 16:40
Hi Dukdevil,

A therapeutic dose is thought to be somewhere in the range 200 mg to 400 mg per day, with some people needing less and others more (not a very precise science).

You don't say what your bad experience was, but it would need to be pretty bad and clearly related to the medication to stop abruptly. In any case, you should consult with your doctor if possible. Many side-effects in the start-up period are self-limiting.

dukdevil
23-04-16, 10:17
Well I am back on the Lyrica - taking 25mg X 3 after seeing my doctor and asking her advice. I see my psychiatrist on Monday. Still has slight anxiety at work and I thought best to go back on it.

hanshan
23-04-16, 12:06
Good luck with it this time round. Ups and downs are normal for the first few weeks.

akb
15-05-16, 12:55
I wanted to ask the same question but there does not seem to be any consensus. A better question may be what is the minimum dose which can help with anxiety? It probably depends on the person. I am on 50 gm daily which isnt really doing much so will ask for increase to 100 mg

hanshan
15-05-16, 13:23
Hi akb,

The dose varies considerably according to the person taking it, but a rough guide is:

0 - 200 mg per day - low dose
200 - 400 mg per day - mid dose
400 - 600 mg per day - upper dose

akb
09-08-16, 07:43
Hi Hanshan

Thanks for the useful info

akb

Nella131
10-08-16, 21:27
My psych advises that 150mg per day is the minimum therapeutic dose for GAD - below that it's probably not going to make much of a difference. That's also consistent with what I have read about it (and that is quite a lot, being a student nurse and also just recently started taking it).

I've been on this dosage now for a couple of weeks (50 morning and 100 evening) - having increased from 50 to 100 to 150 gradually over the last 6 weeks - and it is really significantly making a difference now for me :) That said, I'm not yet back at college/work, having had to take time out for illness - so I am glad to feel that there is still considerable leeway to adjust the dosage upwards if things become harder with added stress affecting my anxiety.

Hope you (and others reading this) find it a helpful medication also - it's the first for me that has made things distinctly better - and minimal side effects too.

skymaid
10-08-16, 21:33
what side effects did you have if you dont mind me asking?

akb
11-08-16, 03:06
dizziness is the most common side effect but goes away after a couple of weeks

Nella131
11-08-16, 07:10
Skymaidstone, I didn't notice any side effects at all when I started 50mg at night; then just noticed I felt a bit clumsy/dizzy on occasion when I began taking 50mg in the morning in addition to the night dose. Definitely made me feel very drowsy at night to start with as well - but that's not a bad thing for me. It really was very mild compared to what I was expecting (and not as bad as the anxiety itself makes me feel) - and I can't say I notice any side effects at all now (about 5 weeks in).

And it's had none of the awful side effects I've had in the past from all of the SSRI's and other anti-depressants I've been on.

I did have one bad panic attack the first time I took the 100mg at night - which looking back on it was my usual 'oh god what if I'm allergic to this' response (probably because the 100mg came as a different brand and colour..such is the power of the mind!) - but other than that I've had no significant problems at all. I do tend to over-analyse every tiny bodily sensation as a possible 'side effect' (which I expect is a fairly typical GAD thing) - but really, it's been a very 'easy' medication in terms of side effects compared to anything else I've tried - and it's helped my anxiety such a lot.

You can also get 25mg capsules so might be worth seeing if you can get some of those to start on an even lower dose, if you're worried about (or getting) side effects to start with? Hope it goes okay.

shiznit76
11-08-16, 09:26
I've worked up form 25mg/day to 150mg/day, but feel I need more to help yet. Waiting here back from my GP who is taking advice from psych as he is pretty unsure about this drug

Nella131
11-08-16, 09:34
Shiznit76, I think for some people it doesn't have much effect until you're on more like 300-400 - and 150mg is really the very minimum dose, so there is lots of room to increase and hopefully it'll become more helpful. Glad that you have a psych involved to advise your GP (the GP is probably being ultra-cautious if it's not a med they're familiar with).

shiznit76
11-08-16, 11:45
Yes he is being ultra cautious, just hope they talk to each other sooner rather than later

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

My psych advises that 150mg per day is the minimum therapeutic dose for GAD - below that it's probably not going to make much of a difference. That's also consistent with what I have read about it (and that is quite a lot, being a student nurse and also just recently started taking it).

I've been on this dosage now for a couple of weeks (50 morning and 100 evening) - having increased from 50 to 100 to 150 gradually over the last 6 weeks - and it is really significantly making a difference now for me :) That said, I'm not yet back at college/work, having had to take time out for illness - so I am glad to feel that there is still considerable leeway to adjust the dosage upwards if things become harder with added stress affecting my anxiety.

Hope you (and others reading this) find it a helpful medication also - it's the first for me that has made things distinctly better - and minimal side effects too.

What other meds have you tried previously and how long you had GAD? is it GAD and depression>?

Nella131
11-08-16, 12:35
Hi shiznit76 - no, it's just GAD, I am lucky and never suffered with depression.

Meds-wise I've been on all the usual SSRI's (fluoxetine, paroxetine, mirtazapine, sertraline - and more recently escitalopram) plus a tricyclic (amitriptyline) - and nothing has ever really helped the anxiety or the panic attacks I used to get. CBT and psychotherapy helped the most with the panic attacks and I hardly ever get them now. But the GAD has been terrible for the last couple of years - so I am so relieved to find something that actually works.

Used to take propranolol (a beta-blocker) sometimes as well - which helped a bit - but I have had the occasional asthma attack recently so that's not an option any more.

I think some of the anti-depressants like mirtazapine (etc) can be pretty effective if your anxiety is linked with depression - at least that's what my sister and a couple of other people I know have found.

shiznit76
11-08-16, 13:55
sounds very like the same drugs that I have tried, almost one for one!

hanshan
12-08-16, 14:09
Hi Nella,

Lots of people on NMP have some degree of medication anxiety. Some signs are being frightened of starting a new medication, having an anxiety attack not long after starting a new medication, and googling and checking for side-effects similar to HA sufferers googling symptoms.

If the person is aware that it's the anxiety doing a lot of the talking, it can help them get though the early days of a new medication.

SmilingAlbert
12-08-16, 15:55
Yes indeed - sadly HA sufferers googling are likely to mainly encounter thoughts and fears of other HA sufferers.

My personal experience of Preg is that the Side effects in both short and long term are exceptionally benign, especially compared with the many horrendous SEs - especially at start-up - that are frequently encountered with SSRI medicines.