PDA

View Full Version : Just read something on NHS site that's put me back

MissSunshine
08-04-16, 21:28
" Always visit your GP if you're experiencing severe pain – it's a warning sign that something is wrong"
I was told by my doctor that when in doubt use the NHS for help.
I've had stomach issues for a couple of years now which has been diagnosed as ibs (with only blood tests and stomach examination)

Sometimes my pain is severe, so bad paracetamol doesn't help but the doctors are not worried.
I've been taking probiotics the past few days and I'm going through the side effects as my body gets used to them and the trapped wind is so so painful.

I guess what I want to ask is, does all pain mean something is wrong?
Is our bodies trying to warn us? Am I being silly when I'm curled up in pain thinking it's just ibs or do i keep getting 'second opinions?'

That quote has scared me a little :( as I'm always thinking gallstones. :(

KatiePink
08-04-16, 21:53
Hi,

I have IBS flare ups too and can suffer badly from trapped wind, i feel you, it is some of the worst pain i've ever felt and always has me convinced there is something serious happening, the pain is usually the same but sometimes can be slightly different which throws me. I also have to curl up it sometimes brings me down to my feet it really is that intense.
I put mine down to IBS, and that i have some inflammation. If you're GP suspected anything they would act on it, but it does not hurt to get a second opinion if you have only saw one doctor and would like it confirming.
Pain does mean something is wrong, but i suppose OUR wrong and what is actually wrong will be miles apart.

Stress is a big trigger for my problems, when i'm going through more stressful times i suffer badly, our digestive system can be affected easily by emotions. Foods are obviously triggers too so it's trying to find what they are.

---------- Post added at 21:53 ---------- Previous post was at 21:52 ----------

P.S you say you have had blood tests and stomach exam which is good, and the fact you have had this for a couple of years because if it was anything sinister i suspect it would have dramatically worsened after all that time.

nomorepanic
08-04-16, 22:45
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

MyNameIsTerry
08-04-16, 23:09
The NHS like to cover their backs with disclaimers. Sadly, if they didn't some person would always come along and sue them over a technicality. And the site becomes less useful.

For instance, blood in poo will given benign reasons but they always tell you to see a GP as it's also a sign of cancer. I've had roids for nearly twenty years and if I followed that advice my GP would be giving me a regular "just in case" slot.

So, the site doesn't get into mitigating circumstances much.

MissSunshine
08-04-16, 23:40
Hi,

I have IBS flare ups too and can suffer badly from trapped wind, i feel you, it is some of the worst pain i've ever felt and always has me convinced there is something serious happening, the pain is usually the same but sometimes can be slightly different which throws me. I also have to curl up it sometimes brings me down to my feet it really is that intense.
I put mine down to IBS, and that i have some inflammation. If you're GP suspected anything they would act on it, but it does not hurt to get a second opinion if you have only saw one doctor and would like it confirming.
Pain does mean something is wrong, but i suppose OUR wrong and what is actually wrong will be miles apart.

Stress is a big trigger for my problems, when i'm going through more stressful times i suffer badly, our digestive system can be affected easily by emotions. Foods are obviously triggers too so it's trying to find what they are.

---------- Post added at 21:53 ---------- Previous post was at 21:52 ----------

P.S you say you have had blood tests and stomach exam which is good, and the fact you have had this for a couple of years because if it was anything sinister i suspect it would have dramatically worsened after all that time.

Thank you for your comment it really helped.
Yeah the trapped wind is AWFUL. The pain seems to get worse and worse then goes away.. Coming in waves and it's mostly around my ovarys but sometimes in my lower right under my ribs and upper stomachs it seems so severe at the time.
My anxiety does make it worse I agree and I'm starting to think it's something I'm eating too but I don't know what!

I'm glad the doctors are not worried it's just they can get it wrong and that's what scares me :(

Any tips for trapped wind would be great I can't have peppermint tea due to acid reflux xx

---------- Post added at 23:40 ---------- Previous post was at 23:38 ----------

The NHS like to cover their backs with disclaimers. Sadly, if they didn't some person would always come along and sue them over a technicality. And the site becomes less useful.

For instance, blood in poo will given benign reasons but they always tell you to see a GP as it's also a sign of cancer. I've had roids for nearly twenty years and if I followed that advice my GP would be giving me a regular "just in case" slot.

So, the site doesn't get into mitigating circumstances much.

Hello thank you for your helpful reply!
This is true it has to be said I guess to be sure. The pain I get is so bad at the time I never know when I need medical help that scares me. It's so bad when the tapped wind / cramps come over me!

KatiePink
09-04-16, 00:17
The only thing that helps me is getting into certain compromising positions :blush:

I know there's a few tips on google but some are just not do able for me! There's certain yoga poses that are meant to help, but i tend to get on all fours but placing my forearms flat on the floor so to lower the upper body and this sticks out your bottom :-/ i stay there for about 30 seconds and i can usually feel the pain subsiding

Or i lie on my back and bring my knee's up towards my chest, sometimes either of these positions have stopped the pain instantly, other times it's not that useful.

I know drinking tea is bad for me but i still do it, i always say "It's worth the pain" until it comes :doh:

I get the pains in the same places you described, especially around my left side and sometimes i can feel it travelling x

MyNameIsTerry
09-04-16, 04:51
I know what you mean about trapped wind, I've only had the odd bout of mild IBS compared to everyone on here in my opinion and at times I was gripping a towel like there was no tomorrow. I felt like I was exploding!

I did find peppermint tea helped with this but like I said, I think mine was very mild compared to what the rest of you on here have gone through.

I guess with this it's not really so much what NHS Choices says because it is too vague because of trying to avoid the legal issues but if your GP said 'only get help when X', it might be better for you.

Pain is a sign but focussing on pain, something we do a lot of it, amplifies it more than other people. So, there is perhaps an element of skew in there. Also, pain doesn't mean you need help either, the body can do a lot on it's own so we have to apply acceptance to some of it e.g. pain from muscular tension, so do you think it could help to work on how you focus on it?

pulisa
09-04-16, 08:31
Have you tried Rennie Deflatine? It contains simeticone which breaks up the painful gas and wind.