PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what's real anymore

TheLostandTheDamned
10-04-16, 01:29
Hi I'm Vernon. I'm 25. From New York. I think. I've been having issues with reality lately. I feel like nothing is real anymore. These thoughts keep popping up in my head, that I'm all alone in this world and that everything in everyone is a figment of my imagination. These ideas that other people in my life are there to teach me the conditions of my mind. It hurts, it really does. I know it's not true but I can't help but think about it. It's making me insane because this would mean everyone I ever loved isn't really there. I don't know who to turn to. I try to talk to people but the idea that they aren't really there is in the back of my mind. I'm always thinking. I can't stop. I feel like I'm trapped in my head and there's no way out.

LiveAboveIt
10-04-16, 20:18
Totally normal thoughts to have during intense anxiety. I went through this period, as well. I felt as though nothing was real, not even me. I constantly questioned reality and what the purpose of life even was, if any of it even mattered. I couldn't convince myself that I was not dreaming or in a coma, or some sort of hell. I honestly didn't have a specific idea of what was happening to me, but I know that I couldn't stop thinking about it or trying to figure it out.

This is a form of DP/DR, it will pass.

TheLostandTheDamned
10-04-16, 20:34
I just can't stop questioning things. Like "why am I stuck in my pov?" It just confuses me.

debs71
10-04-16, 21:38
Hi Vernon,

Yep, anxiety makes us question everything, fear everything we are questioning and when the anxiety is high enough, just keeps us in a constant state of turmoil.....BUT...I assure you that this does not have to and will not last forever.

It is the symptom of an overly anxious mind.

I've been there myself, on more than one occasion. Stuff like 'Am I thinking too much?', 'Am I gonna go crazy?', 'Is everything really real?', 'Is my life a dream/movie/my imagination?'.......and the list goes on. Also feeling like the people I know and love, even family, are total strangers.

It is awful and scary, I know.

Anxiety just triggers our brain to become so much more active, hypersensitive to everything, kind of in a 24hr panic mode, but this is not because you are crazy or going crazy. As LiveAboveIt said, it is all very normal when suffering from high anxiety, especially the feeling that everything about you or around you is a figment of your imagination - that is typical and classic depersonalization/derealization.

Are you receiving any help for your feelings/anxiety? Please trust me when I say that once your anxiety calms down these feelings will get waaaay better and be less intense.

TheLostandTheDamned
10-04-16, 21:44
Hi Vernon,

Yep, anxiety makes us question everything, fear everything we are questioning and when the anxiety is high enough, just keeps us in a constant state of turmoil.....BUT...I assure you that this does not have to and will not last forever.

It is the symptom of an overly anxious mind.

I've been there myself, on more than one occasion. Stuff like 'Am I thinking too much?', 'Am I gonna go crazy?', 'Is everything really real?', 'Is my life a dream/movie/my imagination?'.......and the list goes on. Also feeling like the people I know and love, even family, are total strangers.

It is awful and scary, I know.

Anxiety just triggers our brain to become so much more active, hypersensitive to everything, kind of in a 24hr panic mode, but this is not because you are crazy or going crazy. As LiveAboveIt said, it is all very normal when suffering from high anxiety, especially the feeling that everything about you or around you is a figment of your imagination - that is typical and classic depersonalization/derealization.

Are you receiving any help for your feelings/anxiety? Please trust me when I say that once your anxiety calms down these feelings will get waaaay better and be less intense.

I'm seeing a psychiatrist for anxiety and depression. I'm thinking about maybe visiting a buddhist temple. I'm just trying to find certainty but even that feels uneal.

debs71
10-04-16, 21:55
Ok....I'm glad that your are receiving some help and support. That is really important with anxiety and depression. I've had both for 13 years now, and I saw a therapist/counselor who really helped me a lot. Are you taking any meds right now? I only ask as the meds can really help take the edge off the very worst symptoms of the anxiety and depression....they help squash the stuff like DP/DR that makes every day such a tough deal.

I found the talking stuff like the psychiatrist/therapist was then helpful to make SENSE of the anxiety/depression....talk about what caused it/why we feel that way.

TheLostandTheDamned
10-04-16, 21:58
Ok....I'm glad that your are receiving some help and support. That is really important with anxiety and depression. I've had both for 13 years now, and I saw a therapist/counselor who really helped me a lot. Are you taking any meds right now? I only ask as the meds can really help take the edge of the very worst symptoms of the anxiety and depression....they help squash the stuff like DP/DR that makes every day such a tough deal.

I found the talking stuff like the psychiatrist/therapist was then helpful to make SENSE of the anxiety/depression....talk about what caused it/why we feel that way.

I'm taking xanax for anxiety

debs71
10-04-16, 22:02
Ah ok....good.

The worst thing is to be feeling the way you do, and having to deal with it without any kind of help or support.

I am figuring that perhaps the anxiety and depression is quite a new thing for you? If so, that is when it is most frightening and intense, in my experience, as all of the symptoms are so bizarre for us and hard to know how to deal with, what they are/mean, etc. This WILL get easier to deal with, I assure you.

TheLostandTheDamned
10-04-16, 22:21
Ah ok....good.

The worst thing is to be feeling the way you do, and having to deal with it without any kind of help or support.

I am figuring that perhaps the anxiety and depression is quite a new thing for you? If so, that is when it is most frightening and intense, in my experience, as all of the symptoms are so bizarre for us and hard to know how to deal with, what they are/mean, etc. This WILL get easier to deal with, I assure you.

No I've been depressed since my late teens. But it's gotten to a bad level.

LiveAboveIt
11-04-16, 00:22
No I've been depressed since my late teens. But it's gotten to a bad level.

Thats kind of what she means. I've had anxiety/depression since I was a kid, but it can really peak or become severe in your 20's or even later, and it presents with new symptoms.

TheLostandTheDamned
11-04-16, 01:03
Oh okay. Right now I'm experiencing confusion. I just can't wrap my head around life. Why am I me and not you? Why does everyone report feeling like the universe is centered around them? Is this a trick? Am I god? How can I know for sure other people experience what I experience? I can't. See? It's never-ending doubt. The only thing I'm certain of is that I'm not certain. It scares the hell out of me.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

Thats kind of what she means. I've had anxiety/depression since I was a kid, but it can really peak or become severe in your 20's or even later, and it presents with new symptoms.

Oh okay. Right now I'm experiencing confusion. I just can't wrap my head around life. Why am I me and not you? Why does everyone report feeling like the universe is centered around them? Is this a trick? Am I god? How can I know for sure other people experience what I experience? I can't. See? It's never-ending doubt. The only thing I'm certain of is that I'm not certain. It scares the hell out of me.

LiveAboveIt
11-04-16, 03:18
Its just anxiety, buddy. I dont know why but when it gets severe it makes you question reality and life. I just went through this very thing and thought I was going absolutely mental, but it finally passed on its own.

I literally felt exactly like you, word for word. Your brain is trying to problem solve and search for a threat because of your high anxiety. After stress overload, your brain almost shuts off in a way to protect you.. but anxiety grabs hold of those feelings of unreality and immediately starts theorizing and looking for answers.

Dont believe the anxiety or the way you feel.. I know its impossible to feel confident in my words and know that its all anxiety and temporary, but it is. I felt the same way.

I promise you that a lot of us go through this and it always passes.

TheLostandTheDamned
15-04-16, 01:18
Its just anxiety, buddy. I dont know why but when it gets severe it makes you question reality and life. I just went through this very thing and thought I was going absolutely mental, but it finally passed on its own.

I literally felt exactly like you, word for word. Your brain is trying to problem solve and search for a threat because of your high anxiety. After stress overload, your brain almost shuts off in a way to protect you.. but anxiety grabs hold of those feelings of unreality and immediately starts theorizing and looking for answers.

Dont believe the anxiety or the way you feel.. I know its impossible to feel confident in my words and know that its all anxiety and temporary, but it is. I felt the same way.

I promise you that a lot of us go through this and it always passes.

Thank you. "I'm past the whole nothing is real"phase but now I just feel detached from everything. I feel like I'm just existing. No emotion. Just feel dead inside.