PDA

View Full Version : new here, this is me, do you relate

ophelia
28-09-04, 16:57
Today is a very bad day....sometimes I feel like no one truly understands. I started college two weeks ago and just cant face it today...just sitting on the classroom enviroment, then having to get 2 buses back home...the whole scene plays like an endless tape in my head...over and over never stopping, the thing is I fear I wont get home

OCD has been part of my life for over 30 years yet kept mainly hidden so all my family really say is I am weird

This is me:

hand washing, I see and feel germs, on bad day I see germs everywhere

I am obsessed with bleach

I pick skin

I also have Body dismorphic thing, once I scrubbed my whole face with a pumice stone to remove the sheer inner ugliness...I also have eating disorders

I talk inside my head over and over again, the same sentence or senario

I have the number thing..specially with ornaments, always odd numbers starting with the middle ornament working out with one either side...each one being precise, i cant settle if anyone moves anything

I cant stand anything touching my neck not even the duvet and any chink of light coming through the curtains makes me very anxious

I cant put a spoon fully in my mouth cos I think i will choke

On really bad days I cant even go in my own garden and hang the washing out for fear of being seen

there are so many it just wears me out

all i really want is for someone to say hey I totally understand and relate, but in 43 years no one ever has

sorry for going on but today is not a good day

when does an obsession become a compulsive disorder

seh1980
28-09-04, 17:02
hi Ophelia,

Welcome to the site!! Everyone here has some sort of anxiety disorder so I'm sure that we will be able to give you support and advice!!

Sarah :D

PAULF
28-09-04, 17:03
Hi Ophelia,

Welcome to the site, you have made your first step to recovery by finding us. We are all a great bunch of people and are here to help each other out. Sorry to hear about your problems, and belive me, you are not the only one.

I used to suffer from anxiety, and im slowly but surely getting better. Before i joined this site, i thought i was going mad and thought i was the only one in the world who suffers like i do. Then, when i joined this site, it was a huge relief to find past sufferers and speak to people who were in the same boat.

Take care and hope to speak to you soon. Once again, well done for finding this site and i hope it will help you as much as it has helped me.

Take Care

Paul

xx

minny
28-09-04, 17:18
Hi Ophelia and welcome!

Pauls post says everything I wouldve typed! The support and help you get from the people here is wonderful.

Love Minny...xx

ophelia
28-09-04, 17:32
thank you all for your kind words

when does an obsession become a compulsive disorder

nomorepanic
28-09-04, 19:18
Hi Ophelia and welcome to the site.

Not sure how much you have read on my website about OCD. I am not an expert at it - but here is one answer to your question ...

When does a ritual become compulsion? This is quite a difficult one to answer as there is a fine line between habitually doing something, and it not being a problem, to doing the same job but it being obsessive. For example, if you the vacuum the house once a day then you could say that you are "just house proud" even though to some of us that may seem a little excessive - once a week will do for most people. If, however, you find that you vacuum the house and then feel the need to do it again a few hours later as there are a few bits of fluff on the carpets, then it could be that this is becoming an obsession.

A big test would be to not vacuum the carpets one day and see how it makes you feel - were you relieved to have some extra time to yourself or were you worrying excessively because the house looks dirty or that you have not completed your daily chore. Think about it and then decide.

Hope that helps a little.

We will help you all we can so let us know how things go.

Nicola

Meg
28-09-04, 19:18
The general school of thought is when you feel compelled to do things a certain amount of times ,or in a certain order and it starts to dominate your life rather than being an inconvenience.

What treatment have you had over the years ?

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

Caz Fab Pants
28-09-04, 22:02
Ophelia,

What a beautiful name, I've heard it before but never met anyone actually called it.

Sorry to hear things aren't so good for you at the moment. It sounds like you could really do with some professional help so you can talk about this with someone who understands. I think it would make you feel a lot better to know that there many people in a similar boat to you and that you are not alone.

I'm not sure if you are already receiving treatment but perhaps you could look into it.

Hope this hasn't offended you in any way, I just think it could improve your daily life significantly.

Keep in touch and let us know how things are going.

Caroline :)
x

sal
29-09-04, 00:24
Hi Ophelia

Welcome to the site hon and dont forget we are all here to help you.

OCD is a common illness that so many people dont understand, but it can be overcome with help and support.

You are not alone without how you feel. I dont suffer from that as i suffer anxiety but feel i am losing it so can be disguised as we both suffer from different complaints.

All the help you need you will get on here mate.

Love Sal xxxxx