PDA

View Full Version : Feel like I'm losing it

Needsupport
10-04-16, 23:26
Dear all,
I randomly came across this page and wanted to send warm wishes and virtual hugs to everyone struggling. I am having a hard time finding people who can relate. My fears about my health have turned me into someone I no longer recognize. I have anxiety/panic attacks that are so awful and I think I could have a mental breakdown anytime now. I don't know if most people with health anxiety suffer from OCD but I have OCD health anxiety and my fears consume me. It is all I can think about. I chose to write here instead of the OCD forum because I find that most people with OCD have different fears than mine and maybe you guys can understand how debilitating it is to suffer from health related fears. I just want some people to talk to for support!

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:32 ----------

Anyone?

Josh1234
11-04-16, 01:10
yes, clawing myself out of a health anxiety induced mental breakdown as we speak.

xBettyBoopx
11-04-16, 01:38
Hello and welcome to No More Panic.

A lot of us suffer with health anxiety, I do! I'm sorry but I'm not sure what OCD health anxiety is :wacko:

My health issues usually revolve around the heart and lungs! I think it was called many years ago 'cardiac and respitory neurosis', not sure if that sounds at all good :mad::mad: And yet almost all the time I never believe I have cancer, how odd is that?

Do you think we suffer this way because of fear of death? Personally I think that's what it's all about, and yet I know many people who are afraid of dying but don't suffer with health anxiety.

You'll find many who suffer here are supportive. Do you have family? If you do, are they supportive at all? It helps a lot if family members can at least try and understand and be empathetic.

I don't know of one single person who has 'lost it' due to anxiety, we always seem to keep ourselves together no matter how bad we feel,don't we? I think that in itself is reassuring.

Els

Needsupport
11-04-16, 04:22
OCD is when you obsess constantly about a fear you have and it causes you tremendous anxiety. Health OCD is the topic I obsess about. I have panic attacks every day.

Nzxt27
11-04-16, 05:40
I think anyone with health anxiety are stressing about it a lot.

---------- Post added at 04:40 ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 ----------

OCD is when you obsess constantly about a fear you have and it causes you tremendous anxiety. Health OCD is the topic I obsess about. I have panic attacks every day.

Have you been to the doctor for what your stressing about and to get help for anxiety?

Holds1325
11-04-16, 18:44
Hi,

I have Pure O, OCD and had a stage where Health anxiety overtook my life. It began when I heard stories about people my age getting cancer and dying, people that lived very close to me.

This is when my OCD flared horribly and then began month long obsessions of going to the DR constantly and it overtaking my life and job. It did subside eventually.

Tell me though, is there a particular subject you fear? Death? Illness? Both? Is there a particular illness that you are worried about?

OCD only has as much of a voice as you give it, and can easily be overcome through help.

Needsupport
12-04-16, 00:26
I was worried about HIV so I took 3 Oraquick tests. They are the oral swab ones. Now I am terrified that there may have been blood on the tests and that I could have been infected through them. When you worry about HIV, you have to wait 3 months to get tested. It is very hard. Does anybody else worry about HIV in here? It seems that most people worry about cancer, which is AWFUL. My obsessions revolve around some psychopath purposely placing blood on my test to infect me. I can't get tested now but I'm also so scared to get tested.

Needsupport
12-04-16, 19:13
Does anybody else in here suffer from HIV OCD/anxiety?

Holds1325
12-04-16, 20:25
I used to have HIV anxiety as a teen. The actual chance of contracting the virus is VERY LOW, it usually has to be constant contact for a bit of time. Not to mention HIV is almost "cured" in most people.

However, thats not really the problem here, the problem is the OCD giving you fear about it, causing thoughts to make you ruminate, research and reassure yourself that you DONT have HIV. The tests did not come out positive correct? Then forget about it, why let OCD win? Why let it take over your life? Who's in control here?

Practice now by simply using a CBT technique and make a list of things your grateful for with ONE being that you do not have HIV at this present moment. Then practice that everyday, it helps.