PDA

View Full Version : Worried heart rate too low?

robin321
11-04-16, 18:46
Funny, my latest HA started in Oct when I was nervous of my higher heart rate!

Quick background on current issue:
I am pretty active. I run 3x a week at least, + do 2 days of weights and walk a lot.

Before becoming active (maybe 4 yrs ago) my resting heart rate was about 78-85. I actually saw a cardiologist for BP fear, did a stress test EKG all was good but I was out of shape.

Fast forward to now - doing well. Have done 6 1/2 marathons in past 2 yrs. Have one coming up next month. Been training. My resting rate has come down to 62 or so.

Last week I got some stabbing chest pains. They felt more muscular - not inside but in my breast area (I am a guy, but do have small man boobs haha). Anyway HA the way it is, I worried a bit even though it only happened once or twice for a few seconds.

Anyway, yesterday I decided to take my resting rate. It was 56.

That got me scared that it is now too low and I have an issue! I know when you work out or are in good shape this happens, but I am still worried.

I saw my GP a few months ago for my checkup. BP, heart sound, was good.

I am not asking for reassurance. It won't work and nobody here is a Dr. I am just sharing to see if anyone can relate.

First my fear was too high, then too low! I guess I want to be a robot.

countrygirl
11-04-16, 19:32
Nope 56 is not too low its absolutely normal for someone who is athletic like you. My son was doing downhill mountain bike at competition level at uni and he heartrate was around 52bpm at rest. Once he stopped the competition racing a few years later his heartrate had gone back up to 60bpm.

For medical purpose i think bradycardia is classed as 40 or below bpm.

Josh1234
11-04-16, 20:38
endurance athletes have resting heart rates in the 30's..some even in the 20's. you run marathons and your heart rate is in the mid to high 50's... stop the worrying. it's irrational.

Momaof2
12-04-16, 07:08
When the heart rate is too low ( like dangerously low) you wouldn't be able to workout you would probably be very very dizzy and actually faint.