PDA

View Full Version : High white blood cell as a predictor of heart disease?

Noclip1
12-04-16, 04:16
Hello, on Wednesday, I went for a blood test for HIV and other things and my friend that works at the hospital got access to my bloodwork and found that I had a higher than normal WBC count. It was at a 10 point something or somewhere in the 10,000s and the normal ranges between 3500-11,000 I believe. This worried me, because I did a lot of research online and several research suggest that a high normal WBC count can be a predictor of coronary heart disease.

I can't link the study here as I only have 2 posts, but if you search up "leukocytosis as an independant predictor of coronary hear disease", then you'll find the article.

It's worrying me and I don't want to die from a heart disease. I don't have any significant illnesses other than anxiety and allergies. Also, I did heavy exercise a day before the blood test and apparently, that can cause a temporary spike in WBC count. I am thinking about getting a second blood test later down the road.

Does anyone here have a high normal white blood cell count that have no heart disease or coronary heart disease to be more specific? This study makes me feel doomed that I'll die from a heart disease.

Thanks!

Annoyed
15-04-16, 20:52
Hey I remember answering this on AZ :winks:

I'm going to give you a different answer this time.

If you recall, I said that WBC fluctuates by the hour. My WBC has been from 7 to 15. Normally its 7.

Now here's the interesting part. Did you read the study closely? Look at the relative risk particularly. The increased risk from a higher WBC is small.