PDA

View Full Version : Heart worries during sport

dmc1892
12-04-16, 12:31
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-3535523/England-s-James-Taylor-forced-retire-cricket-aged-26-discovery-heart-condition.html

i have always been worried about my heart when playing sport since i have seen a few footballers etc collapse on the park, just curious to find out whether the condition in the link is picked up by ECG's

Fishmanpa
12-04-16, 12:47
Thank you Daily Mail :doh: Well at least I haven't seen posts about the new planet coming to destroy the Earth this month!

Positive thoughts

ServerError
12-04-16, 12:55
This is a concern I have as well. I'm a little bit out of shape and last year I got into running and absolutely loved it. For a variety of reasons I lapsed a bit but I want to get back into it. Problem is, I now have anxiety. I worry that some of my symptoms are indicative of a congenital heart defect of some kind. I've had ECGs and had a monitor on my heart but I was in too much of a state to ask anyone if I thought I was safe to exercise.

Of course, by declining to exercise, I increase my risk of heart disease anyway. What a tangled web we weave.

dmc1892
12-04-16, 13:13
ye i recently stopped playing football for a few weeks because of my anxiety, but im back now and enjoying it but it does play on the back of my mind , had an ECG a year ago and it was fine had my blood pressure and pulse chekced a month back that was fine too but still i need reasurance

MyNameIsTerry
13-04-16, 04:42
It's hardly an issue with DM in this case, this is a professional sportman and so it will get media coverage from plenty of them.

I was reading something interesting about cardio impact on the heart in a fitness mag. I can't guarantee it's the exact same issue but it was interesting because it explained how extreme cardio (think the extreme marathon runner types) is shown to weaken the heart and further that this is because a certain amount of weight based exercise is expected to keep balance.

But unless you are doing extreme cardio, such things just don't matter. With these hidden heart issues, remember the rarity behind it all. Think about how these people also worked hard to get where they were and yet their heart still didn't have a problem (not considering Fabrice) because they are working themselves much harder than most of us.

dmc1892
13-04-16, 13:08
ye i suppose your right,i mean i have been playing football and excercising for years with no issues. also i have had two ECG's in my life once at 16 and once at 23/24 (im now 25 btw). and no problems have occured but its just my anxious mind taking over