PDA

View Full Version : Getting a bit panicky - throat clearing and hoarsness

Pigeon
12-04-16, 12:58
I'm sorry to post about this again but I'm starting to panic and so thought I'd write everything down in the hope that I can see how stupid I sound, or that others will offer reassurance.

Round about August last year, I started to have throat symptoms - mainly a tightness in that area and needing to clear it all the time. Then it progressed to what I would describe as a pooling of phlegm in my throat which of course made the throat clearing worse. It's still going on and now I have noticed that my voice is getting hoarse

When I get up in the morning it feels like my throat is very congested and it takes a lot of effort to clear it. And my voice keeps fluctuating throughout the day. I also have to keep clearing the mucous from the back of my nose. My throat is a little sore, keeps making gurgling noises and i do a lot of burping immediately after swallowing - so possibly some kind of reflux - although no heartburn.

I have a problem with jaw-clenching which causes my neck muscles to be very tight and painful. As I also have had a slightly stuffy nose, sensitive eyes , a clicking jaw, tinnitus and ear pain and a strange achy tongue, I am inclined to think that the muscle tightness (due to horrendous stress at work - amongst other things) is causing all these symptoms rather than attributing them to my latest obsession - cancer of the larynx.

Does anyone agree or should I bother my GP again?

JaneS
12-04-16, 13:41
Hi Pigeon

Sounds just like me - I am constantly clearing my throat - worse first thing in the morning and sometimes I have to hack up thick mucous at night. I was convinced mine was due to acid reflux which it possibly is, and was on and off lansaprasole for years - now I have finally come to the realisation that after numerous tests etc (all clear) it is all down to anxiety. I now no longer take any medication for the heartburn, indigestion etc. If I do get a bout of burping, I try my hardest to ignore it and even when I thought the lump in the throat sensation was starting this weekend - ignored it and it did subside. I know this sounds easy and in reality it is hard to do but I went away for a week a few weeks ago and never had any mucous, rattle in the chest (which is the latest worry despite the all clear on a chest x-ray), globus feeling etc for the whole week - ate and drank and because I was relaxed and stress free, felt great - back to UK and it all starts over!!

Be positive and try to ignore it if you can...

Pigeon
17-04-16, 19:54
I'm doing my best not to dwell on it but it's hard when it's still there. Really worried now.

But I keep trying to reassure myself saying if it keeps changing sides, it can't be cancer on my vocal chords. Can it?

I'm not doing a very good job of keeping a grip on myself. Help anyone?

debs71
15-05-16, 21:59
Just found this thread via a search, as I am suffering the same issue myself at the mo.

It is driving me mad. I had a severe bout of strep throat at the end of March. I had large doses of 2 antibiotics into my bottom (that was delightful, lol) for 6 days, then 10 days of oral antibiotics and another lot of antibiotics only 2 weeks ago.

Since the strep, I cannot get rid of the phlegm in my throat. I am constantly having to clear it, and I am thinking this is not helping matters. I am gargling with salt water, taking antihistamines, and am also on a course of pantoprazole as my doctor thought possible reflux, but not much is helping......which only leaves bloody anxiety.

Just wondered if anyone has any recommendations or suggestions? :shrug: I guess if this is all anxiety, it is just a case of trying to get on and ignore it, sigh. :(

Noivous
15-05-16, 23:55
Hi Debs71 - I am just now getting over a very weird sore throat. For about 2 weeks (though I seemed to have throat/swallowing problems all winter of some sort) I had this slight pain in my left ear that traveled about 3 inches down my throat and stopped. It was extremely painful just in that one concentrated spot - especially when I swallowed. It was right at the end of my jawbone about an inch down on my neck. That's where the bad pain was. Weird! And now it's gone. Weird again! I don't know. I didn't go into panic mode. Not even close. But I will say I had a few visions of various diseases dancing in the back of my mind. I just kept coming back to stress/anxiety as the culprit. I'm starting to think anxiety is the first thing we should assume instead of the last - don't you? Anyway, I'm hoping you're feeling better soon and the better weather clears both of our throat problems going forward.

Take care,

N.

debs71
16-05-16, 00:03
Thank you, Noivous.

Yep, you're right. I think anxiety should definitely be the first thing to think of in these circumstances, and the fact that sheer worry is probably causing/driving the problem.

Anxiety is so frustrating. The mental stuff is bad enough without physical effects on top.

Many thanks again and good luck too with your throat! :winks:

Gary A
16-05-16, 00:06
Just found this thread via a search, as I am suffering the same issue myself at the mo.

It is driving me mad. I had a severe bout of strep throat at the end of March. I had large doses of 2 antibiotics into my bottom (that was delightful, lol) for 6 days, then 10 days of oral antibiotics and another lot of antibiotics only 2 weeks ago.

Since the strep, I cannot get rid of the phlegm in my throat. I am constantly having to clear it, and I am thinking this is not helping matters. I am gargling with salt water, taking antihistamines, and am also on a course of pantoprazole as my doctor thought possible reflux, but not much is helping......which only leaves bloody anxiety.

Just wondered if anyone has any recommendations or suggestions? :shrug: I guess if this is all anxiety, it is just a case of trying to get on and ignore it, sigh. :(

The more you clear your throat the more it'll become irritated. Mucus formation in the throat is the bodies own way of healing, but if you're constantly trying to clear your throat you'll just go round in a circle.

Try to avoid dairy products for a few days. Dairy contributes quite a lot to mucus formation in the throat. Try as best as you can to avoid clearing it as often, you could end up giving yourself throat nodules, which are pretty painful and extremely annoying.

debs71
16-05-16, 00:19
The more you clear your throat the more it'll become irritated. Mucus formation in the throat is the bodies own way of healing, but if you're constantly trying to clear your throat you'll just go round in a circle.

Try to avoid dairy products for a few days. Dairy contributes quite a lot to mucus formation in the throat. Try as best as you can to avoid clearing it as often, you could end up giving yourself throat nodules, which are pretty painful and extremely annoying.

Thanks Gary.

Yep, you're right. I have been making an effort to not keep clearing my throat as it doesn't help really anyway, and as you say, will only prolong the issue. I will try cutting back on the dairy too - cheese is my big downfall, lol.

I have found that hot water/tea with honey and lemon also helps a lot.

Thanks again! :yesyes:

Pigeon
16-05-16, 07:16
Does anyone think that this is psychological and anxiety leading to muscle tightness in the throat, jaw and neck can cause all this? I have a real problem with tension in this area .

Also, I have looked back on my numerous posts about this since September last year. At that time, I was obsessing about a UTI and talking to others on here. I replied to one post saying I would do an experiment and focus on a part of my body - my neck/throat - where I didn't have any symptoms to see what effect it had. By November my worries had turned to the ones I am currently experiencing with my throat.

It will probably be obvious to anyone else that I have brought this on myself. After all, it would just be too much of a coincidence to get actual cancer in my throat at a time when I am experimenting in this way. But my mind won't stop thinking, "What if......?"

I certainly wish that I hadn't done it now but if it hadn't been this, I'm pretty sure it would be something else . My HA has pretty much taken on a life of it's own the last few years and whilst I don't get nearly as hysterical about things, there's rarely a time when I'm not worried about things. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

It's great when people reply to posts though - I really appreciate it. Especially GaryA who is so rational and gives great advice. Thanks all for helping me keep sane (well, nearly anyway):hugs:

Thoughts
16-05-16, 16:43
Google LPR and silent reflux. Throat clearing, phlegm, tightness, and hoarseness are classic symptoms. Its harmless but annoying.

debs71
17-06-16, 15:15
I am erring more towards anxiety being the culprit.

I am still having phlegm and throat issues, and it is really getting me down. I find that when I am anxious about an ongoing (especially) physical issue, my depression creeps back. I haven't even got out of my pyjamas and showered for two days, and felt totally flat.

I have considered allergies, LPR, etc and have tried all of the nasal sprays, antihistamines and been taken a months worth of pantoprazole, all to avail, so that leaves me with.........yep, anxiety.

This all started as I mentioned already after the strep throat I had - crackling ears and bucket loads of phlegm and a hoarse throat. I then got fixated on the throat stuff, and here I am still battling it, and I can only draw the conclusion that I have created the vicious cycle myself by clearing my throat.

Anxiety truly, truly sucks. Sorry for the rant.

I hope all here can find some relief! xx

Pigeon
17-06-16, 15:21
Yes I'm still having symptoms too after all this time. The throat thing really gets to me especially the hoarseness which is there most of the time now. Is it the same for you Debs?

I feel for you, really I do xxxx

debs71
18-06-16, 20:28
Yes I'm still having symptoms too after all this time. The throat thing really gets to me especially the hoarseness which is there most of the time now. Is it the same for you Debs?

I feel for you, really I do xxxx

Thank you Pigeon. I feel for you too, and anyone dealing with this frustrating thing.

Yes, I have also had hoarseness too. Last week I almost lost my voice completely. I drank a lot of honey and lemon tea and tried not to clear my throat as much, and it has seemed to help the hoarseness.

The other thing I have tried lately is a cold steam humidifier. I have it on every night and it has seemed to help with the build up of phlegm during the night. Last night I didn't use it, and this morning I woke up with tons of phlegm again, so I think it does really help.

I find it so, so hard not to clear my throat when I feel the build up of phlegm. It is natural for us to try to clear the throat I think.

I really hope you find some resolution to this thing, Pigeon. xx:hugs: