PDA

View Full Version : Statutory Sick Pay - how long does it last?

KatiePink
12-04-16, 13:16
Hi,

I have been off work for quite a while signed off by my GP and receiving SSP, i have heard that it runs out after 26 weeks, is that 26 weeks in a row or just once you have used 26 weeks in one year? As i am sure i have had more time off but my employer hasn't mentioned anything about it running out,

Thanks

MyNameIsTerry
14-04-16, 09:35
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/sick-pay/off-work-because-of-sickness/#h-statutory-sick-pay

How long is Statutory Sick Pay paid for

You will not get Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) for the first three days that you can't work, unless you were getting it within the last eight weeks. If you were off sick and getting SSP within the last eight weeks, you will get it again from your first day off work without having to wait for three days.

SSP is paid for up to 28 weeks. If you are off sick with gaps of eight weeks or less, your days off sick are added together to count towards the 28 weeks. If you are off sick more than once with more than eight weeks in between, the periods you were off sick are not added together and the 28 weeks starts being counted again each time. SSP also stops three years after you first become entitled to it, even if you have not had 28 weeks of the benefit. If your employment ends while you are on SSP, your sick pay will stop too. SSP does not stop if you go into hospital while you are off work.

When SSP runs out or you stop being employed, you may be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance.

It's changed now, it's 28 weeks. And you can claim ESA after this expires.

https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay/eligibility

Linked periods of sickness

If you have regular periods of sickness, they may count as ‘linked’. To be linked, the periods must:
qualify for SSP by lasting 4 or more days each
be 8 weeks or less apart

You’re no longer eligible for SSP if you have a continuous series of linked periods that lasts more than 3 years.

KatiePink
14-04-16, 12:14
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/sick-pay/off-work-because-of-sickness/#h-statutory-sick-pay

How long is Statutory Sick Pay paid for

You will not get Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) for the first three days that you can't work, unless you were getting it within the last eight weeks. If you were off sick and getting SSP within the last eight weeks, you will get it again from your first day off work without having to wait for three days.

SSP is paid for up to 28 weeks. If you are off sick with gaps of eight weeks or less, your days off sick are added together to count towards the 28 weeks. If you are off sick more than once with more than eight weeks in between, the periods you were off sick are not added together and the 28 weeks starts being counted again each time. SSP also stops three years after you first become entitled to it, even if you have not had 28 weeks of the benefit. If your employment ends while you are on SSP, your sick pay will stop too. SSP does not stop if you go into hospital while you are off work.

When SSP runs out or you stop being employed, you may be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance.

It's changed now, it's 28 weeks. And you can claim ESA after this expires.

https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay/eligibility

Linked periods of sickness

If you have regular periods of sickness, they may count as ‘linked’. To be linked, the periods must:
qualify for SSP by lasting 4 or more days each
be 8 weeks or less apart

You’re no longer eligible for SSP if you have a continuous series of linked periods that lasts more than 3 years.

Thank you, i am due back next week so hopefully it won't come to me running out. Although i am in a far better place than when i first started my sick leave, i'm in such a 'non routine' now that i fear it's going to be difficult, i find myself sleeping so much through the day and only getting a few hours at night, i don't sleep through the day because of tiredness so much but more because i want to :doh:

My work want to do a support plan with me when i return and have said they are happy to make adjustments to hours as i was on a 42 hours contract so hopefully we can have a phased return

MyNameIsTerry
16-04-16, 06:38
It sounds like you've got an understanding employer. Phased returns can be very helpful in easing you back in, that's what I did.

Yeah, mental health disorders tend to strip away our natural routines and we end up sleeping in late, living at night, etc. This has plagued me from early on. Once you get back in the routine, that will all change back.

KatiePink
16-04-16, 06:46
It sounds like you've got an understanding employer. Phased returns can be very helpful in easing you back in, that's what I did.

Yeah, mental health disorders tend to strip away our natural routines and we end up sleeping in late, living at night, etc. This has plagued me from early on. Once you get back in the routine, that will all change back.

I'm looking forward to getting back into that routine, but i am nervous as to be expected i suppose after a long time off I've kind of forgotten who i am. Even while i've been off sick i've had major anxiety about them dismissing me, i wouldn't be surprised as they have gone above and beyond and i feel quite silly for a 'new employee'.
I suppose i always expect the worse and am very surprised when things go differently.