PDA

View Full Version : sleep

mrs anxious pants
12-04-16, 13:54
hi i was wondering if anybody has ever dreamed they cannot breath due to anxiety depression or stress?
does this sound plausable that you could have a dream that you cannot breath at all and panic only to wake up and breath fine apart from a pounding heart and being scared to death! this is a new symptom for me but anxiety is an old friend that seems to be getting out of control.
:weep:

mnaha
13-04-16, 05:46
Happens to me a lot and actually when I am not sleeping . I get trouble breathing but I have been told my lungs are fine and have been checked several times in the last few years and gone to the doctor and the doctor told me my breathing was anxiety related so yes it happens and you need to try and relax and don't take stimulants before sleeping and if you are taking medicines they will do that too. I take several medicines that can do that also over the counter drugs like NSAIDS .. for pain . No caffeine or soda or chocolate .. just watch what you eat and drink at least three hours before bedtime. Hopefully this will help. Hope you feel better soon. take care

mrs anxious pants
13-04-16, 08:55
thank you for replying to me and for the advice :)

MyNameIsTerry
14-04-16, 06:52
Yes, it's certainly possible. It's a but like when we have nightmares except we never read into how they made us feel with the physical symptoms. When you have nightmares when you have an anxiety or panic disorder, you wake and instantly feel those symptoms which you know to be panic or anxiety and then off races your thinking.

It's also possible to have something called Night Terrors. My dad has these where he can feel a presence strangling him, he wails in his sleep and then wakes up breathing hard. They are said to be similar to sleep walking. But this is just for information, chances are it's just a manifestation of your anxiety disorder that many of us, me included, have had and read far too much into.