PDA

View Full Version : Please help me rationalize? :(

Savvy_Darling
12-04-16, 23:42
Hey everyone, I've been doing so well for near a month now! But recovery doesn't happen over night and I've hit a bump in the road.

Itching. Now, would I worry about random itching before health anxiety? Probably not. But unfortunately for me I remember reading before itching being a sign of cancer like pancreatic or stomach or blood.. Actually the list was fairly long with the amount of different cancers. And of course my health anxious mind remembers reading these stories and now I've been in a battle not to worry about my itching being a cancer symptom.
It's not severe itching but random different places over my body and I'll scratch and feel fine then another place itches. the problem is I'm not sure if my anxious mind is causing the itching to intensify. Like I'll wonder when I'll feel itchy next and I'll worry about it and stress over when I do feel an itch.
It's not severe and I'm not scratching to the point of my skin getting scabbed or anything like that but I've just felt more itchy than normal.

I've been trying to rationalize.
Like for example last Sunday I started my treadmill again. 30 mins a day 5 days a week. Friday & Saturday are my rest days. I sweat like crazy when I do it too.
I don't shower every day either like 2x a week. I only wash my hair that many times. Maybe it's sweating and not showering after?
I showered last night though and haven't worked out and I felt random itching.
I don't think my skin is dry? It doesn't seem like it.
I have no rash or redness or sores. If anything I noticed on my arms (trust me you wouldn't notice unless I made you look really close to my skin) little bumps like where the hair follicle would be kinda like goosebumps you get when ur cold but much less defined snd small. I was thinking from sweating again?
I have a non related doctors apt next Friday so on the bright side I can ask her in weeks time but it doesn't help if I'm convinced I have cancer again. I was feeling confident my next apt would go well and I wouldn't cry again about being scared about cancer. I feel like I'm so frustrated that anxiety is testing me again after I was doing so well. I'm trying not to think about this and tell myself I'm fine but I can't stop thinking about the stories I read about itching and cancer and dying from it.
I just need rational view points from my friends here on nomorepanic to help me through this bump. Please :(

Of course I know itching could be from other things like the weather here being crazy. Freezing cold then warm back to freezing. Allergies? Cat dander?
Ants? And my mind running wild with the itching idea and maybe it's nothing.
Side note: I've had a itchy scalp on and off for monthes. Also I get itchy when I work out.. This has happened before but went away after I worked out for more weeks. But I don't know I'm worried and when you've read something scary about itching it ruins itching forever.

KatiePink
12-04-16, 23:46
I have been having the exact same issue for a few weeks now, and thought 'don't dare start worrying about itching'! but i did and it's still here, but i remember having a phase a few years back of itching all over and it just went, i'm trying to not think about it much now and just get on with it hopefully it will pass. I've been very stressed so could be that, not used any new products that i know of x

Savvy_Darling
12-04-16, 23:57
Katie,
Well at least I can have someone to relate too! I have a new body wash but like I said I only shower 2x a week, Because I only like washing my hair that many times. So I don't think that could be it. I've also went through the list of things it could likely be & tried not to think about the bad things. I only wish I didn't have previous knowledge Google gave me on itching a while ago..I would probably be less worried. Ignorance really is bliss honestly. And i don't know if you feel like this but, do u feel like your making it worse thinking about it? The mind is so powerful and I know thinking about itching can make someone feel itchy, I'm wondering if that's what is happening to me.
It's also not constantly but more than normal I feel like.

MyNameIsTerry
13-04-16, 05:12
Savanna,

Itching is such a common issue, it can be found in many physical disorders or just very minor things - don't allow your subconscious to think cancer and take over with the panic but that is extremely unlikely.

What would cause it? Washing powder change, certain clothing materials, sweat alone (can cause those sweat rash things which you often have lumpy red patches that can crust up or leak a bit), a rash, sensitive skin, water removing the natural oils in the skin (showers make my skin itch the next day unless I shower daily), etc. There are so many possibilities and so many of them are just minor annoyances that we may experience many times throughout life or have at times.

You will have had itchy skin in your life so far so use that to rationalise it because that was never anything sinister anyway.

It's probably just sweat from the running. If you are doing something like HIIT, it raises the resting metabolic rate for much longer too, which means increased body temperature as well.

I'm glad to hear you have been doing much better recently. Can you see how much different that is to how you were on here a month ago? Now keep pushing forward and don't let this win!

Savvy_Darling
13-04-16, 08:45
I'm not sure what Hitt is?? Sounds cool though!
Well what I'm doing is fast walking on my manual treadmill. Which honestly is harder than a electric treadmill. With a manual you have to move the band yourself by running or walking ( so I have to build up stamina to be able to do a full 30 mins of straight running because it's hard! The treadmill is in the basement so not a whole lot of ventilation. I get really warm by the end and I'm seriously dripping in sweat like I just stood out in the rain. And I mean I don't stink so I usually don't shower and the sweat dries up. I know that may sound gross but I just hate getting in the shower daily. (Might start though)
I've been doing my 30 mins a day since last Sunday (minus fri-sat).
Maybe it is just from sweating and not showering. This only started like a few days ago. It's not constant and not horrible. I didn't feel itchy once when I was shopping a couple hours ago. I guess focusing on the thought of being itchy and wondering when I'll itch again does make matters worse.
Thanks Terry... I don't wanna let this get me down at all. :(
I do realize my trend being things about cancer. Anything I worry about I seem to find a way to relate it to cancer. I'm also concerned about maybe my living failing? That I heard can cause itching. BUT, i really don't know what the itching from something serious actually feels like so I'm just assuming the worst and trying to find links which of course feed my fears.
Like I said knowing I have a docs apt next Friday is reassuring because I know I can ask her about it.

MyNameIsTerry
13-04-16, 09:46
If you had abnormal itching you would know it. As in scratching yourself red raw and struggling to sleep. But even then that can be an allergy or a medication side effect. My mum's had loads of that over the years due to her blood pressure meds.

It's getting into warmer weather (well here anyway) and I find a change in seasons sometimes affects my asthma for a couple of weeks and I itch a lot. Then it goes.

My skin has always been a bit delicate so I've had itching most of my life and had eczema as a child.

Thinking cancer over itching is a really demonstration of HA to me because it's such a minor symptom of many minor things and cancer would be the last thing I would think, if it even came into my head at all.

Look at fatigue. That's a symptom of cancer but look at the many other issues that also involve fatigue, it's vast. There have been plenty of threads where people have had that and thought cancer. But they don't think of all the other things. They also don't think of anxiety either. Stress causes rashes and itching. So, anxiety can too.

This could just perhaps be the extra sweating from exercise and it could go after a couple of weeks as your body adjusts, like you mentioned has happened before.

HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training. Basically going all out and the rests inbetween are actually lower intensity exercises so the heart rate is kept up e.g. sprint a short time then jog to rest and repeat. It's very popular now and highly adaptable. It originates from athletic training for sprinters.

Savvy_Darling
13-04-16, 10:17
Yes Terry you're sooooo right. This is why I come here , for people like you that help assist rational thinking! You've helped me a lot in the past and I always appreciate it. I'm getting pretty good with rational thinking but it always helps to hear others saying similar things.
Yea I remember taking I think a muscle relaxer I think and it made my legs itch and I felt like there was bed bugs in the bed.. A crawly feeling that scratching really didn't fully satisfy. So I assume something serious causing the itch would feel similar or worse and probably wouldn't come n go.

Now that you explained it, I know what Hitt is! I've done it before and I do like it! But I need a nice park or track to be able to do that. So until then my good ole stationary treadmill kicks my butt pretty good. Lol.

Side note: the exercise has given me a good outlet to clear my mind! Which is good.

Josh1234
13-04-16, 14:10
Is there a reason you dont shower daily? Even every other day is ok, but twice a week is way too little, especially if you are sweating hard 5 days a week. Thats how you get a bacteria or fungus. You really need to shower everyday you work out.

Buster70
13-04-16, 14:27
My dad used to say he'd have a shower once a year wether he needed it or not , luckily I lost my sense of smell at 15 when a mate broke my nose , every cloud

MyNameIsTerry
14-04-16, 04:58
Why is twice a week too little? Blokes have been working 5 days a week, 9 hours a day in manual jobs for many decades and living on a bath on Sundays. It tends to be less of an issue in a sweaty environment when compared to sitting next to someone in an office.

I can't see how that is impacting on fungal or bacteria infections since it's been part of society for a long time and we don't seem to have overwhelmed with such infections.

Showering after working out isn't a given. I think in between just wash the areas that are more prone to problems and that's what we have sinks and bowls for if we don't fancy a bath or shower.

But then I'm 40 and blokes these days often seem to be splashing on an assortment of moisturisers and smellies to get through the day.

---------- Post added at 04:58 ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 ----------

Yes Terry you're sooooo right. This is why I come here , for people like you that help assist rational thinking! You've helped me a lot in the past and I always appreciate it. I'm getting pretty good with rational thinking but it always helps to hear others saying similar things.
Yea I remember taking I think a muscle relaxer I think and it made my legs itch and I felt like there was bed bugs in the bed.. A crawly feeling that scratching really didn't fully satisfy. So I assume something serious causing the itch would feel similar or worse and probably wouldn't come n go.

Now that you explained it, I know what Hitt is! I've done it before and I do like it! But I need a nice park or track to be able to do that. So until then my good ole stationary treadmill kicks my butt pretty good. Lol.

Side note: the exercise has given me a good outlet to clear my mind! Which is good.

It's good to hear the exercise is helping. It certainly boosts mood.

Yeah, those crawling feelings like ants under the skin, paraesthesia I think it's called. That's just pins & needles as well though, it's just the medical name. Those crawling ones can feel very odd.

HIIT is quite flexible. You can do it with many exercises and without equipment. It would be damn hard getting the speed up on a manual treadmill though. :ohmy:

I think you have shown a change towards rational thinking which started before as you know longer focussed only on the worry. Getting the subconscious to stop going ape is a longer job. http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/monkey/t122009.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-monkey.php)http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/monkey/t122006.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-monkey.php)

Josh1234
14-04-16, 15:59
Its too little. Bacteria and fungus grow in damp places with no air and sunlight. Fact. I had this happen to me when I was younger. On a scientific level, this thread is about itching, so why not rule out an obvious cause, which could be the excessive sweating?

MyNameIsTerry
14-04-16, 22:28
Its too little. Bacteria and fungus grow in damp places with no air and sunlight. Fact. I had this happen to me when I was younger. On a scientific level, this thread is about itching, so why not rule out an obvious cause, which could be the excessive sweating?

So have a wash. I assume Savanna is still washing daily, just not full body. Washing under the arms, the feet, the privates, etc.

It may be fact but why isn't fact translating into reality with many thousands of fungal infections in manual workers? That's why I find it unlikely but daily washing of some areas is still important and the norm.

Josh1234
15-04-16, 16:25
Manual workers are still not doing the type of direct exercise one would do with using a treadmill. Also, who says they aren't itchy? Have we asked all of them? Again, its basic hygiene to shower after sweating profusely like she said she is. I got a fungus from sweat before.

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

Also, that's like saying "how is it a fact that lung cancer can be caused by smoking, when so many smokers dont have lung cancer?"

MyNameIsTerry
15-04-16, 23:14
Manual workers are still not doing the type of direct exercise one would do with using a treadmill. Also, who says they aren't itchy? Have we asked all of them? Again, its basic hygiene to shower after sweating profusely like she said she is. I got a fungus from sweat before.

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

Also, that's like saying "how is it a fact that lung cancer can be caused by smoking, when so many smokers dont have lung cancer?"

No, I haven't asked them all and neither have you so it makes your point no more meaningful.

That may depend of what your definition of manual labour work. It's different but both can make you sweat a lot. And before showers became the norm, we existed quite easily without such issues...we still had baths, sinks and bowls.

I would say the fact our NHS aren't raising a public health crisis over it would suggest it's no biggie. Of course it's possible but since I've never heard my dad have it over 40 years (or other people doing sweaty jobs), it's not something I would be worrying about. That's why I don't believe it's so essential and washing in between is enough. I never used to dash to a shower after hitting the weights.

You are only guessing it's the issue anyway. It's valid to raise it though to see if it is and good hygiene advice. I just don't think it's a certainty.

Nicholebear
22-04-16, 00:50
Bumps on the back of your arms sound like Keratosis pilaris. I have that. It's normal

Shazamataz
22-04-16, 07:20
I wonder if you need to shower more with all the exercising?

Also, I have itches that come and go and have put it down to anxiety. There's always something in my body in active mode, one day itching, next day twitching, the last few days it's been my heart pounding. I guess all that anxious energy has to come out somewhere!