PDA

View Full Version : Had to call ambulance and spent day in A&E

silver_shoes
13-04-16, 14:04
I feel as if it is one thing after another at the moment! :doh:

I have been posting quite a bit recently as I have just got over a nasty viral illness which left me with an awful cough and feeling generally unwell.. as well as a tooth infection at the same time...

A couple of days ago I had a very scary experience... on Sunday night/early hours of Monday morning about 1am I had gone to bed quite late and was just lying there in bed, when all of a sudden, I had an extremely odd sensation almost like someone had thrown a bucket of ice cold water over the right hand side of my head. It didn't hurt at all - but it was very sudden and scary. Almost like icy cold water running over one bit of my head. This sent me into a full-blown panic attack - which I haven't had for years - throat closing up, the lot. That subsided but the cold, strange feeling was still there, so I called 999 and an ambulance was sent out to me. I was very scared this point, and convinced that I must have had/be having a stroke or brain haemorrhage. The Paramedics checked my blood pressure which was very high as I was so anxious. Oxygen etc normal. They did an ECG and couldn't get a decent tracing (more on that later). They said they weren't sure what had caused the cold head feeling so they called the out of hours GP whilst they were here, and his advice was for them to take me to A&E for a neurological assessment.

Whilst in the ambulance, the "cold" feeling began to subside, although still there a little... and a dull headache feeling started to develop. When we arrived at A&E we were told there would be a long wait, I was seen by a nurse who said my observations were normal. The wait to see the Doctor was I think about 7 hours (horrendous!), eventually though I was seen, she examined me thoroughly, I explained about all that has been happening lately (all the stress over my husband's two week referral just after Easter, my viral illness and bad cough, and my tooth infection). She carried out various neurological tests - testing the strentgh in my limbs and using a tendon hammer, pupil reaction, all was normal. I had some blood taken.

As the hours went on, my headache got worse and worse. In the end, my bloods came back normal too, and the Doctor decided that this episode was either due to my viral illness, or more likely - some new type of migraine - as I had told her that when I was a lot younger, 18, I did suffer from migraines , but they did not start in this way, with the cold feeling. I think we arrived a A&E around 2.30 in the morning, and I finally got sent home at 3pm! My husband had had to take a day of holiday off work, and we were both understandably exhausted when we got home. Headache eventually subsided.

To then put the icing on the cake (I promise you I am not making this up lol!!!), I had a sleep when we got home, woke up a few hours later, shaking from head to toe and feeling really quite unwell. Had some dinner, tried to go to the toilet and realised I had completely lost my ability to pass water! So later that night, I had to visit the out of hours GP surgery - which is actually based at the hospital where I had just spent most of the night and day...!!! Tested positive for a water/bladder infection and given antibiotics for the next 7 days!

I do feel a lot better now actually... this water infection must have been brewing all along, alongside everything else that I have had wrong with me recently. I am still absolutely shattered but I will get there.

Things like this really do NOT help my HA...!!