PDA

View Full Version : Anxious about returning to work

Lisah34
13-04-16, 21:55
Ive been off worķ for a few weeks with stress and anxiety. Im due to go back next week but im so scaredbut not sure what of. What if im not ready? Help please

23fish
13-04-16, 23:51
I was off for a few weeks last year and found it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined once I went back. I was honest about the reason for my absence (with most people) and had so much support. Now I know who I can talk to if I'm having a bad day and that really helps. Try to visualise yourself doing really well before you go in.
Are you having a phased return? That might help. There should also be a back to work interview to discuss how your employer is going to help you - that is their duty!
If it turns out you're not ready, then don't worry about taking more time off.
Take care x

KatiePink
13-04-16, 23:53
I'm also due back next week after 3 months off, feeling anxious as it's a big company and i'm surrounded by people whom don't know the reasons for my absence and i don't want them too either, so not sure what to say.
My HR department are going to do a support plan and look at maybe a different role in the company and altered hours x

Lisah34
14-04-16, 09:03
Ive only been off a month and ive requested i change my hours and ease myself back in. Im waiting to hear from my employer what they can do apparently its up to me what hours i want to do to ease myself back in. Ice been in work just to get myself used to the journey and the place again and i do feel ready....ish but then when is an anxious person ready to do anything? We could go years and always worry so i know its best just to get on with it and get back to work.katiepink its no ones business why you were off so dont worry about them knowing. It may be a good thing they do, you may find your collegues have suffered the same thing and can offer support. Ive had a few people say i know how you feel been there myself made me realise im not alone even when you feel like yoy are

KatiePink
14-04-16, 12:17
Ive only been off a month and ive requested i change my hours and ease myself back in. Im waiting to hear from my employer what they can do apparently its up to me what hours i want to do to ease myself back in. Ice been in work just to get myself used to the journey and the place again and i do feel ready....ish but then when is an anxious person ready to do anything? We could go years and always worry so i know its best just to get on with it and get back to work.katiepink its no ones business why you were off so dont worry about them knowing. It may be a good thing they do, you may find your collegues have suffered the same thing and can offer support. Ive had a few people say i know how you feel been there myself made me realise im not alone even when you feel like yoy are

That's what my HR department said in a meeting, that i would be surprised just how many people in my company are suffering from the same thing but it is completely upto me what i tell them.

When i first had sick leave and returned in December i just was not ready, i forced myself back for financial reasons and ended up off sick again, at that time they also told me i could choose my hours what i thought would be easier and they will work around it, so that's good.
And you're right i don't think we'll ever feel completely 'ready'. X