PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety over ruminating?

LiveAboveIt
14-04-16, 05:34
I know that sometimes rumination and obsession can occur because of anxiety, but has anyone else ever had extreme anxiety over ruminating or getting stuck/obsessed thinking or worrying about anxiety?

I know most people just fixate on a fear or physical symptom they have anxiety about, but I feel like my anxiety has evolved into an awareness OF the rumination and has now become a trigger. I catch myself worrying/thinking about the anxiety and then immediately get anxiety because I cant seem to stop, no matter how hard I try to focus on something else or quiet my mind.. I then have anxiety over the fact that I cant stop thinking about how I cant stop thinking and so on..

I miss being able to just think without having anxiety over being introspective and being able to sit and watch a movie without anxious thoughts running through my head.

Its a terrifying cycle of getting stuck in thought and I have no idea how to fix this.. I know that increased anxiety causes/makes this worse, but Im afraid that I will never be able to reduce the underlying anxiety because I fixate so heavily on this fear.

How are you supposed to get past something like this? Does it just eventually fix itself or one day you just dont really care as much and its easier to dismiss? Is this classified as intrusive thoughts, racing thoughts, or just plain old anxiety?

Thanks in advance.

LiveAboveIt
14-04-16, 13:33
Reading over this post that I made last night, I came to the conclusion that Im just tired of thinking about the anxiety and when I struggle against it or start to worry that it wont ever go away, the anxiety increases.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for this?

PanchoGoz
14-04-16, 18:59
Mindfulness.

LiveAboveIt
14-04-16, 19:50
Am I doing it wrong if I struggle with it, or does it take time and practice? Thank you for the response, friend. I think after this, my new goal is to stay off the forums.

PanchoGoz
15-04-16, 19:29
It's nearly impossible when we are anxious to be mindful, but the best time to cultivate mindfulness is in times when you feel fairly relaxed. These times may be few and far between. It does take time and practise, and I find it easier to be mindful when I'm "on the up" from anxiety as I feel some room developing to concentrate on it more.
It's the little efforts you make that count. When you are walking somewhere, just to notice your feet hitting the ground helps to switch off those thoughts. And that noticing isn't too hard to do, even if concentrating on the outside world is too hard. If you notice something in nature, you can count that as a point towards recovery. And mindfulness can be a really positive thing to focus on and it gives you a bit of a goal.
Not sure what you mean by your second comment, perhaps my first post was a bit of an ejaculation.