PDA

View Full Version : HIV Phobia

DanRuby
14-04-16, 21:53
New to this forum as I felt I just had to talk to anyone who maybe has the same thinking as me. I've had the fear of contracting hiv for around 7 years now and it's pretty much destroyed my life. I can not go a single day without thinking about that I have it.

For the past 3 years it's been particularly bad as I'm in a relationship with my girlfriend. Due to certain reasons, we don't use condoms. My constant fear is that I will pass it on to her if I have it.

I literally have no logical reason why I would have it apart from if I have went out drinking and I get paranoid when I can't remember a bit of the night (only time my fear subsides is when I drink which is rare, is this normal)

Anyways, last week has been very tough, my girlfriend gave blood and I've heard if there is anything wrong with the blood they will contact you so basically my mind is counting down the days until my world is destroyed even though it's not logical.

If anyone else suffers from this type of anxiety and phobia I'd love to hear from them. Thanks for reading.

Josh1234
14-04-16, 22:19
So why not get tested and put your mind to rest?

MyNameIsTerry
14-04-16, 22:26
So why not get tested and put your mind to rest?

7 years with anxiety will mean dealing with the anxiety. If not, it mean test after test throughout life so why not tackle the disorder rather than seek reassurance?

Pipkin
15-04-16, 00:14
I would highly recommend the book 'the Man Who Couldn't Stop' by David Adam. He had exactly this fear and I think you will find it incredibly reassuring to read his story.

Try a free sample on Kindle to see if you like it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HPYMV6K/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Pip

Fishmanpa
15-04-16, 00:46
The HIV spiral, while it can be more plausible due to personal circumstances and actions than things like ALS, brain eating amoebas and rabies, is still one of the most challenging spirals to come out of, especially when all circumstances are beyond irrational and not remotely possible.

You could be tested and tested but IMO, your doubt would still be a niggle in your side. Professional help would be the most obvious way to go. With intensive therapy and possibly meds, you could get a hold of your fears and put them to rest.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

Needsupport
15-04-16, 02:04
I have ocd about hiv and I got tested 3 times. Negative. Now I am having constant panic attacks about having possibly been infected through the tests. They were the oral swab tests. It is awful.

MyNameIsTerry
15-04-16, 05:31
I have ocd about hiv and I got tested 3 times. Negative. Now I am having constant panic attacks about having possibly been infected through the tests. They were the oral swab tests. It is awful.

Exactly, it just keeps doubting the tests or finding new worries. The core beliefs driving it are still there and until they are resolved, it will just jump from one to another. And even if it's not HIV, with OCD you can just experience a new theme instead.

Josh1234
15-04-16, 16:49
7 years with anxiety will mean dealing with the anxiety. If not, it mean test after test throughout life so why not tackle the disorder rather than seek reassurance?

You either have HIV or you don't. You cannot get HIV any other way than shooting drugs or sex. It is not something like cancer that can be grown in the body organically, or hard to detect at times, or its not a stroke that comes on out of the blue and kills you. If he is afraid of some black out drunk nights, then go get tested, realize you don't have HIV, then put your mind to rest. Of course, deal with the anxiety. Do you police everyone elses posts like you do mine? It seems to be a trend Im noticing lately.

Phuzella
15-04-16, 18:21
I had a real reason to fear I had hepatitis C so I know sort of what you're on about. I got tested and, by some miracle, I didn't have it.
My advice: get tested for HIV, stop drinking so much that there are parts of the night you can't remember and then tackle the anxiety :)

MyNameIsTerry
15-04-16, 23:02
You either have HIV or you don't. You cannot get HIV any other way than shooting drugs or sex. It is not something like cancer that can be grown in the body organically, or hard to detect at times, or its not a stroke that comes on out of the blue and kills you. If he is afraid of some black out drunk nights, then go get tested, realize you don't have HIV, then put your mind to rest. Of course, deal with the anxiety. Do you police everyone elses posts like you do mine? It seems to be a trend Im noticing lately.

He didn't clearly state the had been possibilities, only that he can't remember some elements and is worrying about HIV because he can't say for sure he didn't do something. He could test although I doubt there is an issue. This could just be the anxiety causing doubt for something that never even happened. In another theme in OCD I've seen people like this wonder if they have run someone over but I don't see a need to investigate that and feed the obsession as it's reassurance seeking.

I just found your advice very simplistic in that you seemed to believe a test will take away the anxiety. If it did, there is no anxiety disorder behind that in my opinion.

I suggest before you make statements about me "policing" you that you read my other posts which show me questioning what others have said. They prove you wrong just as they have proved everybody else wrong on here who had tried that tired old routine just because people don't always agree with them. I tends to be how forums work. Have you noticed how the vast % of your posts have no response from me? I'm also not the only one saying the opposite of you either.