PDA

View Full Version : Does the throat lump ever go away?

mersault22
15-04-16, 19:43
This is making me so mental. I'm crying randomly. I feel like I'm being strangled at all times. I took Ativan and laid down this morning and just tried to relax. I fell asleep for a bit but woke up with the same feeling.

I've had the ENT scope twice and a neck CT scan, all clear. Is this ever going to go away?

Annoyed
15-04-16, 19:44
Hey! My throat lump just came back today.

Ironically... the only way to get rid of it is by not caring about it. In that case, it goes away quite quickly. If you occupy your mind and do something you enjoy, is it there?

mersault22
15-04-16, 19:46
so, yesterday I had to assemble a bunch of furniture for my house and i didnt notice it at all during the hours when i was working on it. Then as soon as I was done it was right back.

The really bad thing is that my actual line of work is tutoring. I have to talk A LOT every day. And every time I talk I feel like I'm being choked.

Annoyed
15-04-16, 20:24
Mine goes away when I don't acknowledge it. It causes me anxiety, anxiety causes my throat to tighten, so its a pretty crappy circle to break out of.

Cough drops help me. They might help you. Or anything to suck on really.

ServerError
15-04-16, 21:43
Hi mersault22.

I just want to back up what Annoyed says. Not worrying about this symptom is the best thing you can do. This is perhaps the only issue on which a Google search helped me. I was walking to my first CBT session (a walk which I underestimated and talk forever) and randomly found myself choking at the side of the road. It was horrible. I got my phone out and looked it up to see if it was an anxiety symptom, and it turned out to be very common. So I shrugged and let it be from that point on.

The problem is that it's very unpleasant, which means we can easily build stories around this symptom - stories about embarrassing ourselves in public or of it ruining our lives or that it must be something other than anxiety. But, for me, seeing that it was such a common feature of anxiety was enough. I didn't add any new fear to it and just accepted it. I was no longer scared of it, which meant I no longer suffered.

I've had it come back on a couple of occasion when my anxiety has been high, but a calm reaction serves me well. Most of the time I'm back to normal. If I really think about it, I can bring the feeling on, and I can feel it now because I'm typing this. But I'm not scared. It can come if it wants.

I know it might seem hard to believe, but if you can truly accept it for what it is and lose your fear of it and not create catastrophic stories around it, it will lose its impact on your life and begin to fade.

As always, the way forward is addressing your anxiety. But remember, this feeling is temporary and within your power to eliminate. Hope this helps.

mersault22
17-04-16, 16:20
thanks so much. i felt better yesterday, but its back today. i guess just having a good day is a good thing.

Annoyed
17-04-16, 16:32
thanks so much. i felt better yesterday, but its back today. i guess just having a good day is a good thing.

Its a great thing. You know the cure. Go have a good day. :yesyes:

Ativan helps too. It is a muscle relaxant.

mersault22
17-04-16, 23:55
Anyone ever get any weird tongue sensations with this? Numbness/tingling?

ServerError
18-04-16, 01:21
All the time.

When I was in hospital, I had a nurse rush a doctor to me because I thought I was on the verge of swallowing my tongue. It was like it had a mind of its own. I couldn't figure out why the nurse nor the doctor seemed concerned until it was explained to me what was going on.

I still numbness around my mouth and jaw. It's always disconcerting because it makes me feel like I'm about to choke on my tongue, but I understand it and allows me not to fear it. It always goes away.

Pigeon
18-04-16, 07:50
Me too with the tongue sensations, as well as the strangling/lump thing. I also have major throat clearing isssues because it feels like I have mucous there all the time. So now I have a sore that and hoarse voice as well. And my throat keeps gurgling! :ohmy:

Its been happening for months now and is driving me bonkers so I know just how you feel. When I'm feeling rational, I know that it's just muscle tension in my neck that's causing all the symptoms, and if I relax, it eases off. Give it a try - oh and try to distract yourself too.:)

mersault22
18-04-16, 13:44
Ugh yeah it's so distracting. Doing my best not to hold tension in my neck. I've had a lot of HA stuff bu this one may take the cake.

mersault22
19-04-16, 01:21
not to be annoying, but any of you get hoarseness with this?

convinced myself of ALS again today. ugh. its bad. getting to where my wife and i rea considering having another kid and i feel like icant because im such a mess and thats just sad.

Pigeon
19-04-16, 06:15
Yes, hoarseness too. See my last post. In fact I have decided to go to GP as it's getting worse.

mersault22
19-04-16, 19:40
I hope that you feel better.