PDA

View Full Version : Having a giggle at myself

Traceypo
16-04-16, 10:42
Yesterday I noticed one side of my neck is slightly swollen, high state of anxiety, rush to walk in, etc etc. Nurse was totally unconcerned, still I wasn't reassured.
Woke up feeling fine, looked at neck still slightly swollen, cue anxiety kicking in, couldn't breathe, feelings of suffocation, couldnt eat as I'll choke (obviously it's some kind of tumour pushing down on my throat haha).
Husband comes home from work, feels my neck and whilst he admits one side is slightly squishier than the other he laughed at me and said is that what you're getting in a state about.
I now realise how ridiculous I'm being, can suddenly breathe easier, wolfed my breakfast biscuits down my starved throat and had a good long laugh at myself.
Why am I doing this - because I'm going on holiday soon, which to me is taking me away from my comfort zone, easy access to medical services etc etc.
I'll be measuring my arms next to see if they're the same size 😂 😂 😂.
Xxx

Fedup79
16-04-16, 10:52
Sounds like me!! Glad you're feeling more at ease x

Traceypo
16-04-16, 11:29
Thanks hun, it's a vicious cycle, I'm going to dig out my CBT relapse stuff when I get home as I'm not being very proactive in stopping myself from spiralling (Google is not my friend).
Xxx

Magic
16-04-16, 11:30
:):hugs::hugs::)

helenhoo
16-04-16, 11:44
Do you ever or have you ever googled your worry like 'finger aches means finger cancer' and then freak out when there's an obscure article confirming? I almost fell off sink the other day trying to look at freckle. Sprained my calf and my chest as I was acting like a contortionist ha

Traceypo
16-04-16, 11:59
If I Google, I Google my symptom and put anxiety on the end, it's amazing what anxiety can do. Think of headlice, as soon as you do, you're head feels itchy even though you know you haven't got headlice, that's how powerful our minds are.
Xxx

Buster70
16-04-16, 23:17
Hi there , had a sore throat the other day googled the images till I found one that looked like mine , came up with foot and mouth disease pretty sure that's not what I had cleared up after a few days , I'm old enough to remember a time when there was no internet or mobile phones and I always got over things a lot quicker when it meant making an appointment at the docs and not getting in for a week by which time you had usually got better , to much available info these days ignorance was bliss , take care

Fishmanpa
17-04-16, 04:59
It's good to be able to laugh at yourself. I know that when you're in the middle of an anxiety spiral, it's difficult at best to look at it without blinders on but many of the fears I read on the boards, if looked at a month down the line, are worthy of a chuckle or two :)

Positive thoughts

Traceypo
17-04-16, 07:47
I'm trying my best not to get into that spiral, I know I'm anxious about Disneyland, I also know as soon as I check in all those fears will go away and I'll be searching the park for eeyore and tiggar! It's the unknown that scares me but for me to have any meaningful life then I'll need to step outside my comfort zone.
Laughing makes everything less scary.
Xxx